Darkhorses for the Tour Day France

WTF will people read the thread rabo and le tour.......it's not that hard. Menchov IS the leader! And Boogerd will work for him......but in the last 1.5 week Boogerd is allowed to go in breaks and win a stage on his own. Rasmussen also will work a bit for Menchov...........but you can't stop that guy he just keeps attacking till he gets that stage win in the le tour.

Wauters will ride constantly in support of Menchov keeping him in the front and out of the wind and the rest like dekker, kroon etc can go try to grab a win in the first week! After that when the mountains come it's all menchov.

ed073 said:
Correct. Dutchies won't work overly hard for Menchov.

Boogerd will be the leader of that team until he says it isn't so.

BergMann said:
Are you kidding me? Rabobank support their GC guy? What, like they supported Levi by letting Rasmussen blow his wad every day on some hail-mary breakaway, leaving Levi to struggle up the final climb(s) alone?

Alone? Why would Levi need Rasmussen when he was busy sucking wheel on all the mountains?

Levi is a strong rider, but he hasn't shown the strength or the guts yet.

tcklyde said:
Alone? Why would Levi need Rasmussen when he was busy sucking wheel on all the mountains?

Uhm, there's this tactic called "pacing" used by teams with helpers strong enough to stay with their leaders in the event they get dropped and need a good, steady pull to get back on. If you're not an explosive "true climber", but a steady one like Leipheimer, there will come a point when the guys you're climbing with will attempt to drop you with radical tempo changes. That's what you need climbing lieutenants for.

As for Levi's strength and grit, he looks as strong this year as he did 2003 when he crashed out, so we'll see if having Totschnig around will really help, or if he really just isn't cut out mentally for a top-5 at a race as big as the tour.

As for MJtje's reference to Rabobank's official strategy, of course Boogerd won't be "leading" the team on GC -- the team had already given up on him as GC contender when they hired Leipheimer, and since then we've seen him focus on what he really does best: tough, hilly, one-day races like the Ardennes classics.

The problem for teams like Rabobank and Quickstep that are stacked with great one-day riders, is that they go to the tour and spend a lot of energy hedging their bets by hunting for stage wins. This is the Armstrong era -- if you want to win on GC, you need to focus 100% on your GC man and hope he wins the odd stage en-route to the podium, otherwise your guy will be lucky to top-10.

I'm not saying that I'd do it differently if I were directing these teams. Your odds of winning a stage with riders like Dekker and Boogerd or Boonen are going to be much better (better even than 21-1, I'd wager) than trying to win the tour with Menchov or Rogers.

It's just that teams like T-Mobile (and Phonak, as they demonstrated while they still had a clear leader in Hamilton) have woken up, smelled the coffee, and realize that if you really want to win the big prize, you can't be distracted by the little ones.

But to get firmly back on topic, I think the riders who are the darkest of the dark horses are the Mayo and Heras, who have shown *nothing* at all this season. If they can get through the first week all right, there will be a lot more true suspense watching them on the first couple of mountain stages than the guys like Rogers, Vino, Botero, and Leipheimer who have already demonstrated good form. Hopefully they'll have a little bit more to offer than last year!

Popovich, Mayo, Heras, Vinokourov, Garzelli, Pellizotti, Karpets, Cioni

hombredesubaru said:
Cunego out with a virus.
That old a##clown Simoni out with muscular fatigue.
(One could raise eyebrows but I wont go there)

Who is gonna do something bold and unexpected?
Not to win but make people sit up and take notice?
Karpets?
Valverde?
Heras?
Mayo?
Popovych?

Who is going to be a new sensation? Please anything but the same old drivel about Lance Ullrich and Basso.

ilpirata said:
Popovich...

There seem to be a lot of folks high on Popovych out there -- for him to ride high on GC, he's going to have to out-climb the entire rest of his team: no easy task with Azevedo, Beltran & Rubiera on the roster. Otherwise, he'll be taking his pull on the lower slopes of the final climb and then hoping to recover enough to come in with a chase group.

Even if Lance cracks, don't expect to see Popovych riding off to win the race -- Bruyneel will have all 8 men standing on the side of the road (a la CSC at the Giro), waiting for Lance, if needs be.

ed073 said:
Cadel and The Dodger (who WILL win the opening 19km ITT, BTW) !!

Would be good to see Evans do well. I still believe he has still not fulfilled his potential since coming out of the bush, especially as a climber. Motivation?

Landis busted himself for LA, be good to see him with the shackles off.

I reckon Salvodelli could end up as bit of a dark horse on the stage win side. A lot of the mountain stages have downhill finishes so if Salvodelli could stay with the GC contenders up the last climb he's got a chance of nailing some stage wins......... if LA lets him.