Daryl Impey fails drug test

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Impey, who was not named on Tuesday in Orica-GreenEDGE’s nine-rider line-up for the Tour that starts in Leeds on Saturday, has tested positive for his A and B samples, the team said in a statement.

Statement regarding Daryl Impey
ORICA-GreenEDGE has been notified that Daryl Impey has returned an adverse analytical finding and has been notified by The South African Institute for a Drug-Free sport that he delivered a positive A and B sample for the substance Probenecid after the South African Championships on February 6, 2014.

The team would like to underline that it respects Daryl Impey’s right to prove his full innocence and will not comment any further until the process has run its due course and final conclusion has been made.
As per the team’s code of conduct, Daryl Impey will not feature on the team’s roster until the case has been closed and he is fully eligible to ride.

That's a shame. If he isn't innocent, it's just getting real discouraging. You expect it in other sports, but for some reason I am always so shocked when I hear about it

kana_marie said:
That's a shame. If he isn't innocent, it's just getting real discouraging. You expect it in other sports, but for some reason I am always so shocked when I hear about it
He was, this is quite old news.

I wonder why cyclists rely on doping to boost their performance. They should be banned or fined heavily so that other cyclists may avoid doping. Many countries have failed to curb doping among cyclists. I think that the world must do something so that we should not have doping cyclists compete.

9lines said:
I wonder why cyclists rely on doping to boost their performance. They should be banned or fined heavily so that other cyclists may avoid doping.
First time offenders are banned for 4 years and fined a years salary. Their teams also face action if more than a couple of riders fail tests... A second offense is a lifetime ban.

Why did Daryl had to go and get banned like that. He was one of my favorite ones. I hope this all proves to be a big misunderstanding and I get to see my favorite cyclist racing again.

He was found innocent wasn't he? I thought it was a new story but after looking at the OP I see it's not.

On a similar note though, I think cycling may always be tarnished now after the Lance Armstrong affair, not to name countless others.