Database for tracking bicycle race times

mraymus

Guest
I've been asked to put together a database (access or something) to
keep track of an upcoming mountain bike race. The last time they
used excel. I'd like to try and find something a little more elegant
and easier for inputting racer numbers and keep track of their times
and categories. Is there something out there already or do I need
to create something from scratch?

Ideally it would be something I could put in front of a volunteer and
they could quickly bring up a racer's number and input their times.
Also, it would nice if it could create cool looking results reports.

TIA

Matt
[email protected]
661.885.2699

mraymus a écrit profondement:

| I've been asked to put together a database (access or something) to
| keep track of an upcoming mountain bike race. The last time they
| used excel. I'd like to try and find something a little more elegant
| and easier for inputting racer numbers and keep track of their times
| and categories. Is there something out there already or do I need
| to create something from scratch?
|
| Ideally it would be something I could put in front of a volunteer and
| they could quickly bring up a racer's number and input their times.
| Also, it would nice if it could create cool looking results reports.

MySQL will do the trick just fine Matt

But you will need to write a small user interface to get the data in
and get it out more easily.

It can be done from the command line but would be much too slow and
error prone.

It won't require much in the way of programming after you decide the
structure of your data files. It could be done very easily using
tcl/tk.

See if you can find someone who could do it on a Windoze box

--
Davey Crockett
-

On Feb 6, 12:19 pm, mraymus <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've been asked to put together a database (access or something) to
> keep track of an upcoming mountain bike race. The last time they
> used excel. I'd like to try and find something a little more elegant
> and easier for inputting racer numbers and keep track of their times
> and categories. Is there something out there already or do I need
> to create something from scratch?
>
> Ideally it would be something I could put in front of a volunteer and
> they could quickly bring up a racer's number and input their times.
> Also, it would nice if it could create cool looking results reports.
>
> TIA
>
> Matt
> [email protected]
> 661.885.2699

The folks that run the Winter Park race series have a very efficient
system using bar codes on the number plates. I think they use the same
hand held scanners used by the ski lift attendants. They manually
adjust the times since they can't scan you immediately as you cross
the line. They have results up in PDF format the same day.

http://www.epicsingletrack.com/Results2007/Race6/results.pdf

Bret

On Feb 6, 12:55 pm, Bret <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 12:19 pm, mraymus <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > I've been asked to put together a database (access or something) to
> > keep track of an upcoming mountain bike race. The last time they
> > used excel. I'd like to try and find something a little more elegant
> > and easier for inputting racer numbers and keep track of their times
> > and categories. Is there something out there already or do I need
> > to create something from scratch?

> > Ideally it would be something I could put in front of a volunteer and
> > they could quickly bring up a racer's number and input their times.
> > Also, it would nice if it could create cool looking results reports.

> > TIA

> > Matt
> > [email protected]
> > 661.885.2699

> The folks that run the Winter Park race series have a very efficient
> system using bar codes on the number plates. I think they use the same
> hand held scanners used by the ski lift attendants. They manually
> adjust the times since they can't scan you immediately as you cross
> the line. They have results up in PDF format the same day.
>
> http://www.epicsingletrack.com/Results2007/Race6/results.pdf
>
> Bret

Where do I get this system?

On Feb 6, 7:54 pm, mraymus <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 12:55 pm, Bret <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 6, 12:19 pm, mraymus <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I've been asked to put together a database (access or something) to
> > > keep track of an upcoming mountain bike race. The last time they
> > > used excel. I'd like to try and find something a little more elegant
> > > and easier for inputting racer numbers and keep track of their times
> > > and categories. Is there something out there already or do I need
> > > to create something from scratch?

> > > Ideally it would be something I could put in front of a volunteer and
> > > they could quickly bring up a racer's number and input their times.
> > > Also, it would nice if it could create cool looking results reports.

> > > TIA

> > > Matt
> > > [email protected]
> > > 661.885.2699

> > The folks that run the Winter Park race series have a very efficient
> > system using bar codes on the number plates. I think they use the same
> > hand held scanners used by the ski lift attendants. They manually
> > adjust the times since they can't scan you immediately as you cross
> > the line. They have results up in PDF format the same day.

> >http://www.epicsingletrack.com/Results2007/Race6/results.pdf

> > Bret

> Where do I get this system?

that looks pretty generic. you need to find someone that knows
something about databases, like MySQL.

sounds like you want to set up the database and make a front end for
your results person to use where they can just pull up a rider and
enter their time.

you will also need another interface for entering the rider's other
details.

there is most likely something you can find that will do the job, or
be easily adapted.

On Feb 6, 5:54 pm, mraymus <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 12:55 pm, Bret <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 6, 12:19 pm, mraymus <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I've been asked to put together a database (access or something) to
> > > keep track of an upcoming mountain bike race. The last time they
> > > used excel. I'd like to try and find something a little more elegant
> > > and easier for inputting racer numbers and keep track of their times
> > > and categories. Is there something out there already or do I need
> > > to create something from scratch?

> > > Ideally it would be something I could put in front of a volunteer and
> > > they could quickly bring up a racer's number and input their times.
> > > Also, it would nice if it could create cool looking results reports.

> > > TIA

> > > Matt
> > > [email protected]
> > > 661.885.2699

> > The folks that run the Winter Park race series have a very efficient
> > system using bar codes on the number plates. I think they use the same
> > hand held scanners used by the ski lift attendants. They manually
> > adjust the times since they can't scan you immediately as you cross
> > the line. They have results up in PDF format the same day.

> >http://www.epicsingletrack.com/Results2007/Race6/results.pdf

> > Bret

> Where do I get this system?

I don't know the details of their system. You could try contacting
them through the contact information on their main page. They've been
really helpful whenever I've contacted them.

http://www.epicsingletrack.com/default.asp

Bret

On Feb 6, 8:19 pm, mraymus <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've been asked to put together a database (access or something) to
> keep track of an upcoming mountain bike race.   The last time they
> used excel.   I'd like to try and find something a little more elegant
> and easier for inputting racer numbers and keep track of their times
> and categories.    Is there something out there already or do I need
> to create something from scratch?
>
> Ideally it would be something I could put in front of a volunteer and
> they could quickly bring up a racer's number and input their  times.
> Also, it would nice if it could create cool looking results reports.
>
> TIA
>
> Matt
> [email protected]
> 661.885.2699

Do you want to do it for the fun of it, or is the end product the most
important?

You might look into a pro type timing system:

http://www.championchipusa.com/timers.html

I have no idea how much that costs, but it has been employed at all
the larger events I've been in. It's fun to get a print out with split
times, etc.

As far a rolling your own, find somebody who is an Excel wiz. They can
make entry boxes, graphs, and all sorts of snazzy stuff.

www.raceforever.com

Has an Access database for historical and rider management system, and
a spreadsheet for on the day race results.

Spreadsheet can be stand alone or linked to database, with results
publised to the web.

Spreadsheet is free, Access database is free to use for one year.

Regards

Peter McLennan