Dating 70s Raleigh Professional

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:

>That is not true. Most bikes did not have centerpull hangers brazed-on;
>typically they were a quick-release hanger that attached to the pinch bolt
>in the rear (and the headset in the front). While some did have a
>braze-on hanger, I don't think the Raleigh Pro did.

David, all Carlton bikes that shipped as complete bikes with
centerpulls, had the braze-on until roughly 1977, when this feature
was dropped from the Raleigh product line.

Here is a picture of the 1969 Raleigh Pro with the centerpull cable
hanger. I have a 1966 Carlton Flyer with a similar centerpull cable
hanger. In this era, the hanger was different than the hangers
shipped on later bicycles. In this era, the hanger was a V shaped
affair made of flat metal - much more crude than the later U shaped
hangers made of tubular metal.

http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/retro-raleighs/69-Catalog.pdf

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:32:21 -0700, Donald Gillies wrote:

> "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>That is not true. Most bikes did not have centerpull hangers brazed-on;
>>typically they were a quick-release hanger that attached to the pinch bolt
>>in the rear (and the headset in the front). While some did have a
>>braze-on hanger, I don't think the Raleigh Pro did.

> David, all Carlton bikes that shipped as complete bikes with
> centerpulls, had the braze-on until roughly 1977, when this feature
> was dropped from the Raleigh product line.
>
> Here is a picture of the 1969 Raleigh Pro with the centerpull cable
> hanger. I have a 1966 Carlton Flyer with a similar centerpull cable
> hanger. In this era, the hanger was different than the hangers
> shipped on later bicycles. In this era, the hanger was a V shaped
> affair made of flat metal - much more crude than the later U shaped
> hangers made of tubular metal.

Well, that certainly differs from my memory, and I see a '69 Pro on
classicrendezvous.com that seems not to have it.
http://classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Raleigh/Raleigh_Pro_GP.htm

Maybe by '69 some were shipped with Campy brakes, though that was still a
rare option. Maybe some used Universal sidepulls or Weinmann, as well,
and would not have had the hanger in that case?  But if that were the
case, then the absence of the hanger might simply be due to the bike
originally being supplied with some sort of sidepulls.

BTW, one bike at least on that flyer you pointed me to used a hanger
attached to the pinch bolt (the Record, and possibly the Super Course,
though that one is hard to tell).

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President
_`\(,_ | should on no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams