Dating a Shogun road bike w/ Campy Athena

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Thomas Hood, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. Thomas Hood

    Thomas Hood Guest

    Did a web search and couldn't find a thing. I bought a pair of bikes (a beautiful 9-spd ultegra Dave
    Hinde) and a Shogun 7005 aluminium 'team issue' w/ full 8-spd Campag Athena incl
    pedals/stem/headset. The Shogun is blue with a matching Kinesis 6061 fork. So I'm guessing the frame
    is Kinesis too (says made in Taiwan) it certainly appears very nicely welded, says designed in the
    USA on it. Does anyone remember Shogun bikes as they don't appear to exist anymore? Is this frame
    any good? As I understand it Athena was comparable to Ultegra but I don't know how old it is- how
    can I tell? Any information on either the Campy stuff or the Shogun would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. In rec.bicycles.misc Thomas Hood <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Does anyone remember Shogun bikes as they don't appear to exist anymore? Is this frame any good?

    I can't speak for that frame, but I have a Shogun Metro SE hybrid that I bought in Sydney in 1996.
    That model appears still to be sold in Australia.

    The rear wheel of the bike didn't survive the container ship trip from Sydney to the U.S. (and the
    rim on its replacement dented too badly for repair about a year ago). The pedals, bottom bracket,
    and seat all wore out within about 2 years. It's now my commuting bike in Boston.

    -- Paul

  3. Why would anyone want to date a bike?

    They must be pretty hard up.

  4. Araby

    Araby Guest

    "Thomas Hood" <[email protected]uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Did a web search and couldn't find a thing. I bought a pair of bikes (a beautiful 9-spd ultegra
    > Dave Hinde) and a Shogun 7005 aluminium 'team issue' w/ full 8-spd Campag Athena incl
    > pedals/stem/headset. The Shogun is blue with a matching Kinesis 6061 fork. So I'm guessing the
    > frame is Kinesis too (says made in Taiwan) it certainly appears very
    nicely
    > welded, says designed in the USA on it. Does anyone remember Shogun bikes as they don't appear to
    > exist anymore?
    Is
    > this frame any good?

    I have owned an XT equipped Shogun Prairie Breaker "Team Issue" MTB for 12 years. It's used for
    touring now but was mercilessly hammered off road for the first six years of its life. Its frame is
    Tange Prestige, Japanese made and beautifully TIG welded. I believe the top end MTB's were American
    designed. I'm not sure about the road bikes though. The general standard of workmanship and
    durability is excellent -which is why it's still in the family:) The company went the same way as
    many of the other excellent Japanese companies when the yen overheated.

    Cheers,

    Roy

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Thomas Hood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Did a web search and couldn't find a thing. I bought a pair of bikes (a beautiful 9-spd ultegra
    > Dave Hinde) and a Shogun 7005 aluminium 'team issue' w/ full 8-spd Campag Athena incl
    > pedals/stem/headset. The Shogun is blue with a matching Kinesis 6061 fork. So I'm guessing the
    > frame is Kinesis too (says made in Taiwan) it certainly appears very
    nicely
    > welded, says designed in the USA on it. Does anyone remember Shogun bikes as they don't appear to
    > exist anymore?
    Is
    > this frame any good? As I understand it Athena was comparable to Ultegra but I don't know how
    old
    > it is- how can I tell? Any information on either the Campy stuff or the Shogun would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    Serial number? Often date-coded.