Dating a Shogun road bike w/ Campy Athena

Thomas Hood

Guest
Did a web search and couldn't find a thing. I bought a pair of bikes (a beautiful 9-spd ultegra Dave
Hinde) and a Shogun 7005 aluminium 'team issue' w/ full 8-spd Campag Athena incl
pedals/stem/headset. The Shogun is blue with a matching Kinesis 6061 fork. So I'm guessing the frame
is Kinesis too (says made in Taiwan) it certainly appears very nicely welded, says designed in the
USA on it. Does anyone remember Shogun bikes as they don't appear to exist anymore? Is this frame
any good? As I understand it Athena was comparable to Ultegra but I don't know how old it is- how
can I tell? Any information on either the Campy stuff or the Shogun would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

In rec.bicycles.misc Thomas Hood <[email protected]> wrote:
: Does anyone remember Shogun bikes as they don't appear to exist anymore? Is this frame any good?

I can't speak for that frame, but I have a Shogun Metro SE hybrid that I bought in Sydney in 1996.
That model appears still to be sold in Australia.

The rear wheel of the bike didn't survive the container ship trip from Sydney to the U.S. (and the
rim on its replacement dented too badly for repair about a year ago). The pedals, bottom bracket,
and seat all wore out within about 2 years. It's now my commuting bike in Boston.

-- Paul

Why would anyone want to date a bike?

They must be pretty hard up.

"Thomas Hood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Did a web search and couldn't find a thing. I bought a pair of bikes (a beautiful 9-spd ultegra
> Dave Hinde) and a Shogun 7005 aluminium 'team issue' w/ full 8-spd Campag Athena incl
> pedals/stem/headset. The Shogun is blue with a matching Kinesis 6061 fork. So I'm guessing the
> frame is Kinesis too (says made in Taiwan) it certainly appears very
nicely
> welded, says designed in the USA on it. Does anyone remember Shogun bikes as they don't appear to
> exist anymore?
Is
> this frame any good?

I have owned an XT equipped Shogun Prairie Breaker "Team Issue" MTB for 12 years. It's used for
touring now but was mercilessly hammered off road for the first six years of its life. Its frame is
Tange Prestige, Japanese made and beautifully TIG welded. I believe the top end MTB's were American
designed. I'm not sure about the road bikes though. The general standard of workmanship and
durability is excellent -which is why it's still in the family:) The company went the same way as
many of the other excellent Japanese companies when the yen overheated.

Cheers,

Roy

"Thomas Hood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Did a web search and couldn't find a thing. I bought a pair of bikes (a beautiful 9-spd ultegra
> Dave Hinde) and a Shogun 7005 aluminium 'team issue' w/ full 8-spd Campag Athena incl
> pedals/stem/headset. The Shogun is blue with a matching Kinesis 6061 fork. So I'm guessing the
> frame is Kinesis too (says made in Taiwan) it certainly appears very
nicely
> welded, says designed in the USA on it. Does anyone remember Shogun bikes as they don't appear to
> exist anymore?
Is
> this frame any good? As I understand it Athena was comparable to Ultegra but I don't know how
old
> it is- how can I tell? Any information on either the Campy stuff or the Shogun would be greatly
> appreciated.

Serial number? Often date-coded.