Daughter signed me up to ride bicycle portion of half-iron

shugs23

Apr 23, 2020
Please advise...I am 65 year old man that rides a Surly Long Haul Trucker and a Trek Hybrid 2-3 hours , 4 or 5 days per week.....She has signed me up to do 56 miles. I'm not looking to shatter any records; just would like to get it done in 4,5 hours......Need advice on a road bike with disk breaks and costs around $1200.....want clips...I figure to swap saddles and use my Brooks saddle....I would like those handlebars that allow you to bend way forward with hands basically in the middle.....Can I hear some advice? I have never ridden a road bike

If you WANT to buy a new bike, I’m not going to get in the way of that.
But you DON’T need one to ride 56 miles. If it was me, I’d get some nice tires for the hybrid, remove any fenders and rack, maybe a more tightly spaced cassette and call it done.
The bar I think you’re talking about is a Time Trial (TT)/ Tri bar. While people occasionally fit those to regular road bikes, it takes more to make a real TT/Tri bike. Basically the cyclist’s position is rotated more forward to get the back lower and more aero, so the saddle also needs to come forward. Many use special, short-nosed saddles. While not impossible, I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone combine a tri bar with a Brooks saddle.