Daughter's Old Bike, Old Internal Gears

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by WestofLeft, May 14, 2006.

1. WestofLeft

WestofLeft New Member

OK, OK, I know a 3-speed isn't exactly what everybody wants to talk about, but my daughter just bought a used bike from a friend with (apparently non-working) 3-speed, automatic (!?!?) gears.

Shimano Nexus SG 3c40, Intern3, I think.

If the evidence is to be believed, it is automatic since I can't find any controls. And, it appears to be stuck in whatever passes for a high gear.

I tried to find sufficient specs to adjust it, if that is possible, myself, but can't find them anywhere.

Do they exist? Is it a user-friendly task (I can pretty much set up a bike adequately, if not perfectly)? Is it possible the gearset is frozen?

Thanks for any help.

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

3. WestofLeft

WestofLeft New Member

George,

Whoa! I couldn't get a Shimano site through Google, oddly enough, so thanks very much.

Where you directed me, I found diagrams of the workings of both "transmission" and brake, but so far nothing about adjusting the thing. There are clearly adjusting screws, but no clue what they do. I'll email them.

Now I see they are in Australia. And I found Shimano USA, but they offer no meaningful support whatever. What to do, what to do?

4. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

5. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

Bikeforums.net has a classic & vintage forum where you might find some 3 speed experts.

I know there are several that know Sturmey-Archer hubs very well.

6. WestofLeft

WestofLeft New Member

There are experts on 3-speed internal shifters? Talk about recondite. My last bike with 3-speed, personally, was in 1957. Sturmey-Archer, BTW, as you say.

That may be the best idea, since I can't find info on adjusting the Shimano. BTW, the shifter isn't apparently THAT old, since Shimano keeps documentation on its site. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. WestofLeft

WestofLeft New Member