Dauphine Libere

DiabloScott said:
Paco Mancebo
Do you think that his high altitude tent will make a difference. In Levi's last interview he said that he was using one as well.

whiteboytrash said:
...and the race is on EuroSport. I'm sure many of our American friends will enjoy the texts updates and then claim to know every inch of the race... LOL ! :p

We've got it Live on ES : I don't remember seeing it live last year.

They'll cut to the French Open throughout I'd guess.

not live last year and its on EuroSport 2 with Live French Open on EuroSport 1.......

limerickman said:
We've got it Live on ES : I don't remember seeing it live last year.

They'll cut to the French Open throughout I'd guess.

whiteboytrash said:
not live last year and its on EuroSport 2 with Live French Open on EuroSport 1.......

bollox - I don't have ES2.

Hey - what's the update re Klodi?

limerickman said:
bollox - I don't have ES2.

Hey - what's the update re Klodi?
The most intersting part of the interview was that he said that chasing down Vino in last year's tour was a team tactic and that everything was fine at the dinner table that night ???? Go figure ! They had rules for Ullrich and rules for Vino so they could chase each other down...

whiteboytrash said:
The most intersting part of the interview was that he said that chasing down Vino in last year's tour was a team tactic and that everything was fine at the dinner table that night ???? Go figure ! They had rules for Ullrich and rules for Vino so they could chase each other down...

Strange comment.

I can't figure Andreas out at all - in CS in Feb 2005, they did a review of TMO by rider. Klodi was interviewed in a sharp suit with a blonde model beside him - AK looked like a male model.

Goodefroot made a comment about each rider : Vino's a man who'll take a chance, Ullrich's gifted beyond his wildest dreams, Zabel is mister consistent, mentally tough - tough as Merckx.
But in respect of Kloden : Goodefroot says and I quote "Andreas is a like a Swiss clock - he functions perfectly if everything is working right. But if one thing is wrong, just like a Swiss clock, he cannot do it"

I remember him bursting on to the scene "this is the new Ullrich" "Andreas will carve up the peloton" etc.
He never really did impact the peloton, i think.

I think Landis needs to show up here and try to win this one or at least come very close.

I know Vino has won this race before but he and Astana-Wurth team might have too much on their plate with the investigation.

Still not sure about Levi, I don't have a good feel for his abilities yet.

Denis Menchov and Al Valverde could pull this off as well.

whiteboytrash said:
...and the race is on EuroSport. I'm sure many of our American friends will enjoy the texts updates and then claim to know every inch of the race... LOL ! :p
The Friars at cyclingnews.com do a much better job these days since they traded their pen and parchment for word processing.

lwedge said:
The Friars at cyclingnews.com do a much better job these days since they traded their pen and parchment for word processing.

Very very funny.

Now this is a funny observation, LW.
(just oicturing the Friars scribbling away on parchment every time the screen is updated............)

limerickman said:
Very very funny.

Now this is a funny observation, LW.
(just oicturing the Friars scribbling away on parchment every time the screen is updated............)
You have to have a sense of humor if the internet live updates are all you have.

Unless WBT wanted to conference call and hold the phone up to the Eurosport broadcast. We could do speaker-phone, that'd work. :D

Have a good weekend.

lwedge said:
You have to have a sense of humor if the internet live updates are all you have.

Unless WBT wanted to conference call and hold the phone up to the Eurosport broadcast. We could do speaker-phone, that'd work. :D

Have a good weekend.
OLN will show some of the race after the fact. They have a two hour segment every Sunday. Not very good for those of us who want it in real time. But at least you get to see some of what you read earlier. I believe that they show it at 1:00 PM Eastern. This Sunday they should show the prologue.

lwedge said:

Have a good weekend.

Have a good one, Lw.

saluki said:
OLN will show some of the race after the fact. They have a two hour segment every Sunday. Not very good for those of us who want it in real time. But at least you get to see some of what you read earlier. I believe that they show it at 1:00 PM Eastern. This Sunday they should show the prologue.
I think you can get it live on cycling.tv

last year no one had it but a small frnch station in like rhone-alpes tv2, which was almost like public access on American Cable.

Now there's an idea for you (although cycling.tv sorta has it)
an american live streaming cycling show with "color" commentary from someone's basement
there are some hilarious riders with diaries who would be great

like check out Mike Dietrich at spokepost.com

like why he didnt tt well at TdG

http://spokepost.com/diary/dietrich/?articleID=114

"A lot of our riders are coming back after long periods of training, and like our strategy for the Tour de France this year, whoever shows they are good will be protected. But we are not going in with anyone designated as 'the guy' and since this is primarily a preparation race we also don't come here with any clear ambition."

If this is accurate and not posturing, I don't think it's necessarily a good idea for DC to view this as a preparation race. Maybe by ambition, Bruyneel means GC. DC is in need of ProTour wins this year -- they only have two stages provided by Savo -- and should take what it can get in terms of Dauphine stage wins.

hombredesubaru said:
I hope Stijn Devolder goes for the win, he's good on the Belgian hills isnt he?
Richly facetious, my good man.

Libere is always an interesting race. Whoever wins is almost assured to come into the Tour on the down-slope. I would say that Landis is going to play possum, as well as Vino and Valverde.

I'd expect someone with no chance at the Tour to take it. Perhaps a Zabriskie or Popovych.

Yeah anyone going after the tour overall will be using this race for conditioning and checking everythings all right. They wont want to tire themselves out going after the dauphine overall.

Zubeldia perhaps for win?

limerickman said:
Strange comment.

I can't figure Andreas out at all - in CS in Feb 2005, they did a review of TMO by rider. Klodi was interviewed in a sharp suit with a blonde model beside him - AK looked like a male model.

Goodefroot made a comment about each rider : Vino's a man who'll take a chance, Ullrich's gifted beyond his wildest dreams, Zabel is mister consistent, mentally tough - tough as Merckx.
But in respect of Kloden : Goodefroot says and I quote "Andreas is a like a Swiss clock - he functions perfectly if everything is working right. But if one thing is wrong, just like a Swiss clock, he cannot do it"

I remember him bursting on to the scene "this is the new Ullrich" "Andreas will carve up the peloton" etc.
He never really did impact the peloton, i think.
This is pretty much confirmed in 'Hell on Wheels'.

superdanuk said:
Yeah anyone going after the tour overall will be using this race for conditioning and checking everythings all right. They wont want to tire themselves out going after the dauphine overall.

Zubeldia perhaps for win?
I can undersand why someone wouldn't want to peak for the Dauphine, but being here, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't try to win it. There will be more than two week between the Dauphine and the TDF. After two weeks you shouldn't still be tired from the last race.