Dauphine Libere

Cycling tv rules!!

In britain coverage of cycling isnt to bad at moment thanks to eurosport. But cycling tv is better.
Looking forward to mont Ventoux, Is it going to be dc's day?

whiteboytrash said:
Nah... O'Grady is a hardman and perfect to do all the work in the first week... ie drive the bunch, fetch water, chase down breaks.. just what CSC need for week one to keep things level. He can climb ok so you can send him to the front over the first two climbs and then peel off and he'll get himself home under the timelimit...

I agree entirely. O'Grady, even without the crash wouldn't have been in the team for the Green jersey but as an experienced, hard all rounder. I'm not sure he's in Bettini's class but he can sprint, time trial and climb a little - super domestique.

musette said:
Basso, Sastre, Lombardi, Julich, Voigt are sure to make the CSC Tour team. That leaves only four slots.

I think Cancellera will start the Tour.

I also think Frank Schleck definitely will, to help Basso on climbing, esp if Cuesta (recruited by Sastre to help Sastre in the Vuelta) is going to be resting up to help Sastre later in the season.

Dave Z has a good chance, esp if Riis wants a stage win.

Unless somebody like Nicki Sorensen doesn't make the Tour team, O'Grady won't make it.

Being on the "short list", which I am sure O'Grady was on several months before the Tour, only means that the rider has to be ready for the Tour and has a chance to get on the Tour team.

If your analysis suggests O'Grady won't make the team I'd say its a fair bet he will ride. :p

What have you got against O'Grady?

azdroptop said:
The cycling.tv/ boys were talking up David Z today like he would be in the TDF for sure. Man I'm in love with cycling.tv/ It has really helped out this American boy.:)
I think it was Riis who said Zabreeskee is a great rider but we all know his weaknesses. Meaning they dont want any crashes around Basso and they dont need a great TTist because no TTT.
What they need is rouleurs and climbers and people t control breaks.
Not Dave.
I mean maybe he'll go but I doubt it.

mitosis said:
I agree entirely. O'Grady, even without the crash wouldn't have been in the team for the Green jersey but as an experienced, hard all rounder. I'm not sure he's in Bettini's class but he can sprint, time trial and climb a little - super domestique.

O'Grady would be the kind of guy who'd be in a superdomestique role, I think.

pair him with Voigt and CSC would have two excellent workers - both capable of nicking a stage too.

limerickman said:

pair him with Voigt and CSC would have two excellent workers - both capable of nicking a stage too.
I agree... there is a lot of work to be in week one... O'Grady can be used to chase down breaks, pull back breaks, get into breaks and monitor. He can also drop back to team car get water, food, needles... anything that the team needs. When he was vying for sprints he was doing this type of thing. Flying off the bunch for the catch sprints and then back in the bunch. Same task as superdom as you call it... with Voigt and O'Grady waxing together I think it would be an awesome duo... O'Grady and Voigt can also get themselves over the mountains and like I said before these two can set the pace on the early climbs leaving Sastre to explode the bunch on the last mountain.....

I don't even see why there is an argument about this - after all, is O'Grady any different a rider essentially to Hincapie?

micron said:
I don't even see why there is an argument about this - after all, is O'Grady any different a rider essentially to Hincapie?

They're the same type of rider - only that O'Grady's palmares is 100% better than Hincapie's !!

limerickman said:
They're the same type of rider - only that O'Grady's palmares is 100% better than Hincapie's !!
A lot of people would disagree on that.

Hincapie is a different rider to O'Grady, he is a much better climber for starters, and a much better ITTist over the long distances. O'Grady is by far the stronger sprinter of the two. Hincapie could do quite well on the GC in this Dauphine.

Eldrack said:

Hincapie is a different rider to O'Grady, he is a much better climber for starters, and a much better ITTist over the long distances. O'Grady is by far the stronger sprinter of the two. Hincapie could do quite well on the GC in this Dauphine.

....to win a TDF green jersey, you've got to be able to climb and ITT.
O'Grady's palmares is far better stocked than Hincapie's.
(not taking anything away from Hincapie).

limerickman said:
....to win a TDF green jersey, you've got to be able to climb and ITT.
O'Grady's palmares is far better stocked than Hincapie's.
(not taking anything away from Hincapie).
'Grad's' is also a duel Gold Medallist.... thats two more than Armstrong, two more than Hincapie and one more than Ullrich !

Hmm, the Eurosport rider profile thing is ****, doesn't have any of O'Grady's main achievements on it.

Anyone got a good site for riders palmares?

limerickman said:

I think he (O'Grady) will be out and Zbriskie and Cancellara in.... But hè: i am not the team manager...:D

Riis announced to the Danish media that he now has

6 sure spots:
Basso, Sastre, Schleck, Voigt, Cancellera, Lombardi

1 almost sure:
O'Grady

and for the last 2 spots, it was between:
David Zabriskie, Bobby Julich, Jakob Piil, Karsten Kroon, Inigo Cuesta, and Kurt-Asle Arvesen

The final team is most likely to be presented at a press conference in London, June 19th.

Eldrack said:

Mistake on my part : O'Grady didn't win the TDF points jersey (it was Baden Cooke that I was thinking of in 2003).
Apologies.

Back to the Dauphiné: Phillipe Gilbert just won the second stage and takes over the overall! I love that guy, great talent!

cyclingheroes said:
Back to the Dauphiné: Phillipe Gilbert just won the second stage and takes over the overall! I love that guy, great talent!
This peleton really doesn't seem to care about breakaways. Makes you wonder if any of the big names care about winning this event.

cyclingheroes said:
Yeah, and nice to see part of an early breakaway making it to the finish. I think he has well over 5 minutes advantage over the next person on the GC, so he should hold on to it for a while...

jonjungel said:
Yeah, and nice to see part of an early breakaway making it to the finish. I think he has well over 5 minutes advantage over the next person on the GC, so he should hold on to it for a while...
Yes he has over 5 minutes...

Results:

Stage 2

1 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Française des Jeux 4.45.53 (42.605 km/h)
2 Samuel Dumoulin (Fra) AG2R Prevoyance 5.19
3 Peter Wrolich (Aut) Gerolsteiner 5.23
4 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Credit Agricole
5 Fabian Wegmann (Ger) Gerolsteiner
6 Marco Marzano (Ita) Lampre-Fondital
7 Stuart O'grady (Aus) Team CSC
8 Francisco Mancebo (Spa) AG2R Prevoyance
9 Maxim Iglinskiy (Kaz) Team Milram
10 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears
11 Iban Mayo (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
12 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team
13 Pieter Mertens (Bel) Davitamon-Lotto
14 Nicolas Jalabert (Fra) Phonak Hearing Systems
15 Vladimir Gusev (Rus) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team
16 Eddy Mazzoleni (Ita) T-Mobile Team
17 Walter Beneteau (Fra) Bouygues Telecom
18 Christophe Rinero (Fra) Saunier Duval-Prodir
19 Christopher Horner (USA) Davitamon-Lotto
20 Uros Murn (Slo) Phonak Hearing Systems
21 Addy Engels (Ned) Quick Step-Innergetic
22 Bert Grabsch (Ger) Phonak Hearing Systems
23 Egoi Martinez (Spa) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team
24 Oscar Pereiro Sio (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears
25 Aitor Hernandez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi

General classification after stage 2:

1 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Française des Jeux 9.57.13
2 Fabian Wegmann (Ger) Gerolsteiner 5.22
3 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Bouygues Telecom 5.27
4 David Zabriskie (USA) Team CSC
5 Egoi Martinez (Spa) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 5.29
6 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team
7 Francisco Mancebo (Spa) AG2R Prevoyance 5.31
8 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Credit Agricole 5.33
9 Stuart O'grady (Aus) Team CSC
10 Sebastian Lang (Ger) Gerolsteiner 5.34
11 Joost Posthuma (Ned) Rabobank 5.35
12 Stijn Devolder (Bel) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team
13 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears
14 Vladimir Gusev (Rus) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team
15 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak Hearing Systems
16 Andrey Kashechkin (Kaz) Würth 5.36
17 Christophe Moreau (Fra) AG2R Prevoyance
18 Bert Grabsch (Ger) Phonak Hearing Systems
19 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Würth 5.37
20 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Phonak Hearing Systems
21 Oscar Pereiro Sio (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears 5.38
22 Manuel Quinziato (Ita) Liquigas
23 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas
24 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank
25 Ronny Scholz (Ger) Gerolsteiner

Interesting that Mayo was in the front of the bunch (finising 11th place between Valverde and Hincapie), in the Belgian press Gilbert is seen as their biggest talent for grand tours in the future i am curious how long he will be the GC leader....

I agree... there is a lot of work to be in week one... O'Grady can be used to chase down breaks, pull back breaks, get into breaks and monitor. He can also drop back to team car get water, food, needles

Needle. LOL:cool: