Dave Zabriskie

Crankyfeet

Jun 5, 2007
I thought Dave Z had been around forever, so I was surprised to find out that he is only 28 years old.

I find it interesting that he is one of Floyd's best friends and is joining Slipstream.

Here's something dated off his blog

http://www.davezabriskie.com/blog/

Any comments on DZ's future in cycling and with Slipstream?

Crankyfeet said:
I thought Dave Z had been around forever, so I was surprised to find out that he is only 28 years old.

I find it interesting that he is one of Floyd's best friends and is joining Slipstream.

Here's something dated off his blog

http://www.davezabriskie.com/blog/

Floyd's favorite artist is...Kid Rock?? :eek: Weird

Crankyfeet said:
It will be interesting to see how DZ is used on Slipstream. He showed signs of climbing ability this year. I don't see why he could not win something other than a time trial.

I can imagine him eventually winning something like Paris-Nice or the Dauphine.

Bro Deal said:
DZ and Landis interviewing each other. Lots of funny **** here.

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/article/0,6802,s1-3-9-14734-1-P,00.html

And another article that is mostly about Landis but has contributions by the Z-Man.

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200607/tour-de-france-2006-floyd-landis-1.html
Thanks Bro. Great articles. Very interesting read in the context of later developments. You could see the Landis spin wheels at work, even before the TdF, trying to build up all the reasons why Floyd was suddenly a much better rider at 30. Floyd's take - "Its just training harder than everyone else - overtraining just means that you didn't train hard enough to begin with". Then we hear that in Floyd's very public training log, he averaged 3.5 hours of training/riding a day. Huh?

But he believed in training to as near to death as possible ever since he was 16....why is it suddenly the reason for his jump in performance. And that he suddenly discovered training anaerobically occasionally "In the red zone". Yeah right.

The guy is probably a stand-up guy. And I do believe that the pros are left with no choice other than to dope, if they want to compete. Its not ideal. If testing was better, then it wouldn't be the case. But it was the case, especially then.

Crankyfeet said:
Thanks Bro. Great articles. Very interesting read in the context of later developments. You could see the Landis spin wheels at work, even before the TdF, trying to build up all the reasons why Floyd was suddenly a much better rider at 30. Floyd's take - "Its just training harder than everyone else - overtraining just means that you didn't train hard enough to begin with". Then we hear that in Floyd's very public training log, he averaged 3.5 hours of training/riding a day. Huh?

But he believed in training to as near to death as possible ever since he was 16....why is it suddenly the reason for his jump in performance. And that he suddenly discovered training anaerobically occasionally "In the red zone". Yeah right.

The guy is probably a stand-up guy. And I do believe that the pros are left with no choice other than to dope, if they want to compete. Its not ideal. If testing was better, then it wouldn't be the case. But it was the case, especially then.
yeah, there was so much spin.

The "hip replacement" WAS NOT a hip replacement. They would have known what was likely prior to the Tour when they gave Sam Abt the story to seed in the weekend magazine in NY Times.

It just made a great public narrative to weave to the public, and opportunity to sell medical prosthetics.

He just "trained" harder, read: unsaid, doped better, at greater personal risk.

Lots of lies. Lots more lies.

He started to lay the groundwork, in Jan, with info saying he had increased his 5 minute anaerobic efforts and improved power by 20% in the off-season, working in that threshold. Lim had evidently worked out he could have WON the tour if he had improved those shorter power efforts, and that was the only thing preventing him from being with Armstrong.

So much BS. 2 draft beers, atleast 4 shots of Jack. Dehydrated, yet imbibing alcohol like a drunk sailor. Imbibing alcohol but getting IV rehydration saline solution.

Never seeing any dope, never being offered it, but saying he considered doping when times were bad and no results forthcoming. Why would he consider something he has never seen, nor been offered?

Never seeing dope, but previously telling his home coach/GP Dr Arnie about the pharmacopia he had been exposed to.

Pointing to his new timetrial position as evidence of his mastery of that discipline.

Floyd Fraud Fund.

In intelligence circles this is known as 'creating a legend'. You build up a strong back story narrative which lays the groundwork to validate what you are really up to. Fairly sophisticated plan, really, in contrast to the usual ad hoc excuses involving dogs and mother-in-laws. Landis probably developed it after observing the Master develop his own legend which utilised cover stories as varied as cadence, lactate and food weighing.

thunder said:
yeah, there was so much spin.

The "hip replacement" WAS NOT a hip replacement. They would have known what was likely prior to the Tour when they gave Sam Abt the story to seed in the weekend magazine in NY Times.

It just made a great public narrative to weave to the public, and opportunity to sell medical prosthetics.

He just "trained" harder, read: unsaid, doped better, at greater personal risk.

Lots of lies. Lots more lies.

He started to lay the groundwork, in Jan, with info saying he had increased his 5 minute anaerobic efforts and improved power by 20% in the off-season, working in that threshold. Lim had evidently worked out he could have WON the tour if he had improved those shorter power efforts, and that was the only thing preventing him from being with Armstrong.

So much BS. 2 draft beers, atleast 4 shots of Jack. Dehydrated, yet imbibing alcohol like a drunk sailor. Imbibing alcohol but getting IV rehydration saline solution.

Never seeing any dope, never being offered it, but saying he considered doping when times were bad and no results forthcoming. Why would he consider something he has never seen, nor been offered?

Never seeing dope, but previously telling his home coach/GP Dr Arnie about the pharmacopia he had been exposed to.

Pointing to his new timetrial position as evidence of his mastery of that discipline.

Floyd Fraud Fund.

He's just a bad liar. He thought he could do a Lance. But stuffed it up with all his contradictions and pathetic rationale's.

I can't imagine that Team CSC and Team Phonak were particularly happy about Landis and the Z-Man living together. They're not the type to keep secrets from each other.

I am tired of Zabriskie's always looking for a funny answer during interviews or even when you meet him in person. His schtick is old. And I can't stand that he often looks bored on the podium, rolling his eyes at the gifts presented by the local city/town. He did it at... I think it was Georgia... All in all, very lame.

earth_dweller said:
I am tired of Zabriskie's always looking for a funny answer during interviews or even when you meet him in person. His schtick is old. And I can't stand that he often looks bored on the podium, rolling his eyes at the gifts presented by the local city/town. He did it at... I think it was Georgia... All in all, very lame.
He just strikes me as being a little immature. You can see it in his butt-licking and junior-high comments in his interviews with Floyd.

Not that I also always look for a funny answer to questions....much...actually I usually just can't find one....or I attempt one but nobody realizes I was trying to be funny...because it wasn't funny. Anyway, Dave sounds like a great guy to me.

Less than 50% of Salt Lake City's population is Mormon. After reading these interviews, I am thinking that Dave Z was teased/rejected at school for things unrelated to the fact he was a non-Mormon in SLC. Maybe he was just a little jerk.

But its unfair of me to cast a cruel judgment like this perhaps. Unfair, but whose to stop me? Notwithstanding, I want to see him do well at Slipstream.

Crankyfeet said:
I can't imagine that Team CSC and Team Phonak were particularly happy about Landis and the Z-Man living together. They're not the type to keep secrets from each other.
it is not likely they were doing anything different either. Except CSC had better docs for the in-house doping.

thunder said:
it is not likely they were doing anything different either. Except CSC had better docs for the in-house doping.
It wouldn't surprise me if Landis was slightly using the Z-Man as an informant. Phonak needed to keep abreast of the latest developments in pharmacology.

Crankyfeet said:
It wouldn't surprise me if Landis was slightly using the Z-Man as an informant. Phonak needed to keep abreast of the latest developments in pharmacology.
I think Landis was flying low in 2005 first year at Phonak. I think his doping regime was, less is more. Because he knew Armstrong was still around, and a little futile throwing caution to the wind, and trying to compete with a protected species.

But 2006, he was about as hot as you can get. Souped up.

thunder said:
I think Landis was flying low in 2005 first year at Phonak. I think his doping regime was, less is more. Because he knew Armstrong was still around, and a little futile throwing caution to the wind, and trying to compete with a protected species.

So you're saying that Landis flew low because the UCI would have nailed him if he looked like being a threat to King Lance? Or are you saying that he thought it was pointless to go through the exercise of souping when the best souper was going to beat him anyway?

Crankyfeet said:
So you're saying that Landis flew low because the UCI would have nailed him if he looked like being a threat to King Lance? Or are you saying that he thought it was pointless to go through the exercise of souping when the best souper was going to beat him anyway?
the latter. Hypothetically, give the other riders, Basso, Ullrich, Landis, the same resources, they probably could have beaten him. But they did not, and Ullrich, one who could have beaten him at TMobile, never had the drive to.

But, it would have been futile on Phonak, to attempt to unseat Armstrong, without a stronger team, and better medical support.

thunder said:
the latter. Hypothetically, give the other riders, Basso, Ullrich, Landis, the same resources, they probably could have beaten him. But they did not, and Ullrich, one who could have beaten him at TMobile, never had the drive to.

But, it would have been futile on Phonak, to attempt to unseat Armstrong, without a stronger team, and better medical support.
So what's wrong with second and a podium spot? I just can't imagine Floyd backing down from a chance to go mano-a-mano with Lance. He had nothing to lose. And it wasn't as if they were best friends at the time. Even if he managed to only beat him on a couple of climbing stages or a time trial. He couldn't really lose.

I suspect he may have had his "training" interupted by something, or perhaps he wasn't in synch with the Phonak doctors then.

thunder said:

I am not buying it.

In 2003 Landis suffered from his hip injury. In the 2004 TdF he was very strong in the time trials and the mountains. In 205 he signed with Phonak expecting to be a support rider for Hamilton. Although he had never been a team leader before, he did very well at the TdF. He was on track to take fifth or sixth overall until he suffered some weakness in the second set of mountains but still ended up in the top ten. In 2006 Armstrong, Ullrich, Basso, Mancebo, and Vino were gone. His win in 2006 was not unexpected. As soon as the OP riders were tossed, I told people on this forum that Landis would win. Before OP I was predicting a podium

I don't think Landis was doing anything different in 2006 as he was in 2005--or 2004 for that matter.

Bro Deal said:
I am not buying it.

In 2003 Landis suffered from his hip injury. In the 2004 TdF he was very strong in the time trials and the mountains. In 205 he signed with Phonak expecting to be a support rider for Hamilton. Although he had never been a team leader before, he did very well at the TdF. He was on track to take fifth or sixth overall until he suffered some weakness in the second set of mountains but still ended up in the top ten. In 2006 Armstrong, Ullrich, Basso, Mancebo, and Vino were gone. His win in 2006 was not unexpected. As soon as the OP riders were tossed, I told people on this forum that Landis would win. Before OP I was predicting a podium

I don't think Landis was doing anything different in 2006 as he was in 2005--or 2004 for that matter.
Well it does seem implausible that he would only start doping properly in 2006. However, he may not have been on the full program as a domestique before. With the covert operations required to transport blood bags around etc..

But how do you explain his huge form gains at the start of the 2006 season?