Dave Zabriskie

Crankyfeet said:
Well it does seem implausible that he would only start doping properly in 2006. However, he may not have been on the full program as a domestique before. With the covert operations required to transport blood bags around etc..

But how do you explain his huge form gains at the start of the 2006 season?
I don't see it as a huge gain in form. Landis is a classy rider. His VO2Max has been measured at 90. Armstrong was worried in 2005 because he knew Landis' VO2Max was higher than his. I tend to believe Landis. The 2005 Tour was a key race. It was the first time he had been able to ride for himself with team support. He and his coach learned a lot. I think that was where they determined that it was possible that he could win the Tour. He adjusted his training and maybe adjusted his doping program also.

He is known to train very intensely. That is not just coming from him. Former teammates and people who have trained with him say the same thing. In Spring of this year he was out of shape at a MTB charity race. He got chicked. While touring the country to promote his book, he could not have been doing much training. He then shows up in Colorado to do Leadville and spent just a few weeks training for it. Rumors with locals are that he was doing 150 mile road rides at altitude. At PB100 he smoked the course and broke the course record. I found that really damned impressive. He must have trained his ass off in those few weeks.

Phonak was ending support, so there was a motivation to get results early in the 2006 season. The competition at California and Georgia is not very good compared to European races. Landis took second in Georgia the year before. He only had to beat two or three other riders of the caliber of Tommy D.. Landis' win in P-N was good, but it did not require him to be much better than he was in the previous year's Tour. Landis got good results but I am not convinced he took some giant, dope fueled leap above where he was the year before. It might have just meant he planned to peak in the Spring as well as July.

thunder said:
Bro is probably right on this.

screw you BRO!
Well, at least Aussies have the humility to admit they're wrong.

[BTW thunder...WTF are you doing??...I followed you down this garden path expecting a motherlode of researched wisdom to be regurgitated at this juncture, and you come out with a limp **** response like that. How is an ignoramus like me going to save face backing up someone who knows something like you (at least I thought you did) if you end up throwing your hands up like this?.... Just fake it, even if you know you're wrong......Ha..ha.. And BTW....Bro is never wrong - so stick to arguing with the other numbskulls]:D

in my defense, Landis sucked as a mtn'b'er

I wonder why. He was not world class there.

VO2Max of nearly 90 does not a rider make.

Walker of Rabobank has about 93, and Cadel Evans is about 92, Mcgee was high 80's, think he is about 83 now. O'Grady tested at 91.

But it, the testing and its results, can vary, depending on the lab and equipment.

thunder said:
in my defense, Landis sucked as a mtn'b'er

I wonder why. He was not world class there.

VO2Max of nearly 90 does not a rider make.

Walker of Rabobank has about 93, and Cadel Evans is about 92, Mcgee was high 80's, think he is about 83 now. O'Grady tested at 91.

But it, the testing and its results, can vary, depending on the lab and equipment.
Yes especially when you are talking about a few percent. And all the riders are using whatever figure came out the highest on possibly multiple tests.

From Cyclingfansanonymous blog:

At Criterium International's first stage, Slipstream's leader Dave Z ended up missing the split and lost big time. Oops. When asked what had gone wrong, Vaughters was blunt, saying that "Dave Zabriskie was on the wrong side of it. Why? Because he's got a big engine, but sometimes the driver falls asleep at the wheel." Ouch.
Seems like Dave Z may have a touch of the ADD.

Bro Deal said:
I don't see it as a huge gain in form. Landis is a classy rider. His VO2Max has been measured at 90. Armstrong was worried in 2005 because he knew Landis' VO2Max was higher than his. I tend to believe Landis. The 2005 Tour was a key race. It was the first time he had been able to ride for himself with team support. He and his coach learned a lot. I think that was where they determined that it was possible that he could win the Tour. He adjusted his training and maybe adjusted his doping program also.

He is known to train very intensely. That is not just coming from him. Former teammates and people who have trained with him say the same thing. In Spring of this year he was out of shape at a MTB charity race. He got chicked. While touring the country to promote his book, he could not have been doing much training. He then shows up in Colorado to do Leadville and spent just a few weeks training for it. Rumors with locals are that he was doing 150 mile road rides at altitude. At PB100 he smoked the course and broke the course record. I found that really damned impressive. He must have trained his ass off in those few weeks.

Phonak was ending support, so there was a motivation to get results early in the 2006 season. The competition at California and Georgia is not very good compared to European races. Landis took second in Georgia the year before. He only had to beat two or three other riders of the caliber of Tommy D.. Landis' win in P-N was good, but it did not require him to be much better than he was in the previous year's Tour. Landis got good results but I am not convinced he took some giant, dope fueled leap above where he was the year before. It might have just meant he planned to peak in the Spring as well as July.
Bro, I think you hit it right on the head. The programme and training were developed over several years, and with the experience and team support Landis won it in 2006. Unfortunately he then proceeded to get caught...

Bro Deal said:
If Landis has a VMax of 90, then I'll disassemble my bike and eat it, piece by piece.

I'm not doubting his ability to train and his dedication, but where was his superior physiology when he was a mid-pack MTB'er?

jimmypop said:
If Landis has a VMax of 90, then I'll disassemble my bike and eat it, piece by piece.

I'm not doubting his ability to train and his dedication, but where was his superior physiology when he was a mid-pack MTB'er?
he was a talented responder. Under a year or two of 20 thousand mile years under the course of a comprehensive medical program, he might have develop to 90.

Klinger said he popped HGH like Skittles.

EvilJediJ said:
Vaughters said that Landis didn't blood dope in 2005.
and came what? 10th?

did not blood dope though, why? Phonak infrastructure. When did he recruit the soigneur with the bad rep, I think he did in the offseason, of 05/06.

hr may have just boosted his blood count with epo before the 05 tour