David Duffield

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy Howes, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. Andy Howes

    Andy Howes Guest

    I missed the start of coverage for this year's tour. Where
    is David Duffield this year. Has he stepped down from his
    usual role.

    Andy Howes

    Tags:

  2. gemarc

    gemarc New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    I was thinking the same thing the coverage was good but I missed David

  3. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Andy Howes wrote:
    > I missed the start of coverage for this year's tour. Where
    > is David Duffield this year. Has he stepped down from his
    > usual role.
    >
    > Andy Howes

    I understood he would be studio based for the TDF and
    interviewing people- rather like the RAI after race coverage
    of the Giro------ of course I may have dreamt it !!!

    I saw him out in Malaysia in February, where he was MC for
    the Tour De Langkawi. He told me he was now well, and I must
    say he certainly looked very well. As an MC he really is
    very good and knows how to keep the crowds entertained at
    the finish line.

    Jan

  4. Duffield is irreplaceable. Except maybe by Phil Liggett, but
    Phil becomes a bit predictable after a while..

    He's in all sorts of trouble. Attacks coming thick and
    fast. etc.

  5. Trealaw Boy

    Trealaw Boy Guest

    gemarc <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was thinking the same thing the coverage was good but I
    > missed David
    >

    > --

    There's a two page feature on DD in Procycling's Tour de
    France special. It suggests DD will be based in a purpose
    built studio in London as playing the anchorman role a la
    Des Lynam. He's even done some trial runs in flashy yellow
    waistcoat just for the race.

    I thought he'd be there right from the start ofthe Tour.

    Regards

    TB

  6. David Cowie

    David Cowie Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:24:50 GMT, "Andy Howes"
    <andy'[email protected]> wrote:

    >I missed the start of coverage for this year's tour. Where
    >is David Duffield this year. Has he stepped down from his
    >usual role.

    EuroSport said he was working from the Parisian HQ (aka
    the Dungeons). However it appears that the
    archaeologist is doing that instead. He might appear
    later in the tour I think.

  7. gemarc

    gemarc New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
  8. Andy Howes

    Andy Howes Guest

    That got a good response, Thanks to all of you for taking
    the time to write. I thought he might have retired - he'd
    been racing for a few years when I started up so he must be
    70 plus ?. Anyway Christie Anderson is very interesting as a
    summariser to Mike Smith. She really does know what's going
    on and I hope she stays for the whole event.

    Andy Howes "gemarc" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > seems we are not alone have emailed eurosport about my
    > dissapointment
    >
    > osport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/MessageBoard_Lng0_Spo18_S-
    > to532216.shtml
    >

    > --

  9. Temp3st

    Temp3st Guest

    I really can't understand what all the fuss is about.
    Whereas I'm no fan of Mike Smith (just a younger version of
    Duffers in my view), I am quite pleased with the coverage
    so far. The 'behind the teams' features that thay are
    running are really interesting and show a totally different
    side to the tour.

  10. gemarc

    gemarc New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    I agree other than dd issue I think this years coverage is looking like the best ever particularly like the behind the scenes bit at the start,it seems as terrestrial coverage of the tour gets less eurosports just gets better.

    Its just that I suspect many here like me very much associate him with the tour each year