David Millar

Capisce

Oct 7, 2005
It irritates me a bit why Millar is constantly talked about. I'm not thinking of the doping part, thats fine, but he is still mentioned as a big star and favourite for every Time Trial. As far as I can see he has only won
2006 Time Trial Vuelta
2007 Prologue Paris-Nice

He also won the double at the british championships, but come on thats not quality wins however much up and coming British cycling is.

The latest issue of cycle sport is what triggered this post. He is profiled there as one of about 10 riders, Anyone think he will be one of the 10 best riders in the tour? (not thinking GC here). Irritates me becouse there are so many riders more deserving of a profile, based on results, than Millar.

His recent bike toss is worthy of a mention. :)

Capisce said:
It irritates me a bit why Millar is constantly talked about. I'm not thinking of the doping part, thats fine, but he is still mentioned as a big star and favourite for every Time Trial. As far as I can see he has only won
2006 Time Trial Vuelta
2007 Prologue Paris-Nice

He also won the double at the british championships, but come on thats not quality wins however much up and coming British cycling is.

The latest issue of cycle sport is what triggered this post. He is profiled there as one of about 10 riders, Anyone think he will be one of the 10 best riders in the tour? (not thinking GC here). Irritates me becouse there are so many riders more deserving of a profile, based on results, than Millar.

Capisce said:
2006 Time Trial Vuelta
2007 Prologue Paris-Nice

It's probably that they (Cycle Sport) just wanted to get a Slipstream rider on the list. Who knows what Chipotle paid them in advertisements.

Outside magazine just did an article on Slipstream. I guess this was to keep the matter-antimatter balance in check, since they previously did an article on Rock Racing.

Agree with the "need" to get a Slipstream guy in there. Apploud teams who are anti doping by all means, but Slipstream have very few wins so far this season and were upstaged by Tinkoff in the Giro (Although they *****slap most in the media sweepstakes).

Capisce said:
...and were upstaged by Tinkoff in the Giro ...
I agree that Millar is over-exposed, but I can't agree with that last bit. They didn't take as many riders down as Tinkoff, true, but they got a stage win and a pink jersey for a day. Anything on top of that would have been a bonus.

Drongo said:
I agree that Millar is over-exposed, but I can't agree with that last bit. They didn't take as many riders down as Tinkoff, true, but they got a stage win and a pink jersey for a day. Anything on top of that would have been a bonus.
they also won bike frame frisbee

Capisce said:
Agree with the "need" to get a Slipstream guy in there. Apploud teams who are anti doping by all means, but Slipstream have very few wins so far this season and were upstaged by Tinkoff in the Giro (Although they *****slap most in the media sweepstakes).

Millar throughout his career has been pretty media savvy.
The Sunday Times have done a couple of double page spreads on the guy over the last 5 years or so.
He is articulate (even if you don't agree with his view - he's a good communicator).

I don't think that his talk matches his walk, however.
There are lots of other riders out there who deserve more media exposure than him (in my opinion).