David Walsh, where are you?

adamastor

Jun 3, 2007
Anyone knows if Walsh still involved with doping in cycling? Is he still working for the Times?

adamastor said:
Anyone knows if Walsh still involved with doping in cycling? Is he still working for the Times?

DW still writes for the ST.

Over the last 5 years or so, DW has written many articles on a lot of sports and sports stars.
He writes about sport in general, these days.
Tennis and golf features more and more in his writing.

He is still contactable at ST.

limerickman said:
DW still writes for the ST.

Over the last 5 years or so, DW has written many articles on a lot of sports and sports stars.
He writes about sport in general, these days.
Tennis and golf features more and more in his writing.

He is still contactable at ST.
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

adamastor said:
Actually, started reading his latest book "L.A. Le sale Tour". After 100 pages I've got a pretty good summary of his 3 first ones "L.A. Confidential" "L.A. Official" and "From Lance to Landis". There's an interesting interview with Catlin, who does not want to explain why the cooperation with LA didn't succeed, and very good insider information on how and why UCI found an agreement with ASO last year.

He (with his friend Ballester) reminds us chronology of certain things in 2008:

1. UCI announces peace agreement with ASO
2. Lance Armstrong announces his comeback
3. Patrice Clerc, Managing Director of ASO, and biggest doping/UCI fighter is sacked by ASO

Cool to read. Will tell more when finished.

DW's is in South Africa at the moment, covering the British & Irish Lions tour down there.

adamastor said:
Actually, started reading his latest book "L.A. Le sale Tour". After 100 pages I've got a pretty good summary of his 3 first ones "L.A. Confidential" "L.A. Official" and "From Lance to Landis". There's an interesting interview with Catlin, who does not want to explain why the cooperation with LA didn't succeed, and very good insider information on how and why UCI found an agreement with ASO last year.

3. Patrice Clerc, Managing Director of ASO, and biggest doping/UCI fighter is sacked by ASO

Thanks adamastor : I wasn't aware that DW had written another book.

Is it a good read?

adamastor said:

Don't forget

4. L'Equipe (which is owned by Amaury, the 'A' in ASO) announces it will no longer run stories on doping in cycling.

adamastor said:
Anyone knows if Walsh still involved with doping in cycling?
There's a recent interview with Walsh conducted by NY Velocity where he talks about his latest book. It's an interesting read.

Link.

save_ferris said:
There's a recent interview with Walsh conducted by NY Velocity where he talks about his latest book. It's an interesting read.

Link.
sssssssssssssssssss

save_ferris said:

Link.
Very good interview. I thought his answer to the last question was the best, and I agree that big money does ruin the purpose of sport.

Cobblestones said:
Don't forget

4. L'Equipe (which is owned by Amaury, the 'A' in ASO) announces it will no longer run stories on doping in cycling.
Errr, sorry, missed that one. Was it ironic, or are you serious? Where did you see that? To my knowledge, Damien Ressiot is still writing for L'Equipe, and he is the best anti-doping investigator around.

adamastor said:
Errr, sorry, missed that one. Was it ironic, or are you serious? Where did you see that? To my knowledge, Damien Ressiot is still writing for L'Equipe, and he is the best anti-doping investigator around.
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

adamastor said:

Serious. I think we had a thread on this even. Right now the only reference I can find is here (post 4). I'm going through a few old threads but thanks to our friend flyer the forum is cluttered with junk.

Cobblestones said:
Serious. I think we had a thread on this even. Right now the only reference I can find is here (post 4). I'm going through a few old threads but thanks to our friend flyer the forum is cluttered with junk.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cobblestones said:
OK, now I found it too. Les Dessous du Sport mentioned it in dec 2008 (http://www.lesdessousdusport.fr/l-equipe-ne-veut-plus-parler-dopage-2829), but l'equipe management were attacked more precisely via a Feb2009 article in "Le Canard enchaine" (mentioned here by 20minutes http://www.20minutes.fr/article/296849/Sport-Le-dopage-deviendrait-il-tabou-a-L-Equipe.php).

Hmmmm, as a daily reader of l'Equipe, not sure about the statement, but will definitely know more by the end of this TDF, and let you know. Pretty sure Poulidor will be another valid evaluator...

adamastor said:
Hmmmm, as a daily reader of l'Equipe, not sure about the statement, but will definitely know more by the end of this TDF, and let you know. Pretty sure Poulidor will be another valid evaluator...
There is no doubt that Armaury has requested less doping stories in their newspapers. A mini-strike occured inside the editorial offices.

2 years earlier with a comeback of Lance L'Equipe would have already restated the doping past of Lance.

poulidor said:
There is no doubt that Armaury has requested less doping stories in their newspapers. A mini-strike occured inside the editorial offices.

2 years earlier with a comeback of Lance L'Equipe would have already restated the doping past of Lance.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx