Davis, CA

Bcmuse

Guest
I'm moving up to Davis, CA from Los Angeles for school in the fall, meaning I'm trading in my
air-polluting automobile for a lot more action on my road bike as my primary source of
transportation.

Anyone ever live in Davis or know what to expect?

Some friends have told me to be careful because bikes got stolen and it rains alot, so no exposed
wedges or frame pumps then and probably a rack and some fenders?

I also currently lock with a generic krypto-lock and a cable lock. Should I upgrade?

[email protected] (BcMuse) wrote in news:[email protected]:
> Some friends have told me to be careful because bikes got stolen and it rains alot, so no exposed
> wedges or frame pumps then and probably a rack and some fenders?

Davis is a college town and does experience some petty theft. Bring a backpack. Central California
gets some rain during the winter, but you probably won't get much between May 1 and Thanksgiving.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (BcMuse) writes:

> I also currently lock with a generic krypto-lock and a cable lock. Should I
^^^^^^^^
> upgrade?
^^^^^^^^

To what? There's only so far we can go with [quality of] locks. Then, we've gotta worry about the
quality of whatever we're locking /to/. After that, we have to fill in the blanks with savvy and
anti-guile.

Keep your ride in your sight as much as possible. Bring it indoors with you whenever you can, and
when you can quickly reach it with a flying tackle lest anyone dare touch it. Parking meters are
good to lock to, so long as their stems aren't too fat to get a U-lock around, or they have those
rings to lock to. Signs stuck into a collar in the concrete, with an accessible, loosenable
retaining screw in the collar to hold the sign in, are bad things to lock to. So are kick-off-able
wood fence pickets. Park it where there's the most foot traffic, and visibility for passing cops who
might see the glint of a hacksaw in the sunlight. If there are any street ppl who regularly hang
around where you regularly park, maybe get to know them, and regularly slip them a wee stipend to
keep an eye on your bike.

cheers, Tom