Davitamon files complaint with UCI re: DQ PVP

bobke

Oct 3, 2004
Davitamon is filing an officail complaint with UCI.
Regarding the stupid decision to
1. have a rail crossing 10 km from the finish
2. not have trains held or delayed
3. no marshals stopped Hoste or PVP
4. Boonen etc al also crossed wioth the barriers down
5. there were two train tracks and other trains could have been coming

etc

Dirk Demol said their complaint is in the mail as well.
Gee I wonder what will happen.
The usual. UCI ALWAYS has to be right.

So Speaking of rider's health...why have train crossing and barriers you can rider around etc.
The riders need a union.
If there were a riders union, EVERY RIDER WOULD AGREE TO LET HOSTE AND PVP RETAIN THEIR PODIUM but maybe give them a fine and a warning.

bobke said:
The riders need a union.
If there were a riders union, EVERY RIDER WOULD AGREE TO LET HOSTE AND PVP RETAIN THEIR PODIUM but maybe give them a fine and a warning.
There is a rider's UNION which is headed by elected member Jens Voigt.... they were the body that protested to have the double stage on the final day of the Giro reduced to one stage.... which is it was.

whiteboytrash said:
There is a rider's UNION which is headed by elected member Jens Voigt.... they were the body that protested to have the double stage on the final day of the Giro reduced to one stage.... which is it was.
That's probebly the reason why the Saunier Duval rider backed of last friday when Voigt spoke with him.. (remeber: the guy didn't work in the breakaway and than Voigt attacked again, the S-D rider followed Voigt and Voigt got really angry..after that the S-D rider - sorry i forgot his name - let Voeckler and Voigt go, S-D rider got third at that stage of Vuelta Pais Vasco).;)

cyclingheroes said:
That's probebly the reason why the Saunier Duval rider backed of last friday when Voigt spoke with him.. (remeber: the guy didn't work in the breakaway and than Voigt attacked again, the S-D rider followed Voigt and Voigt got really angry..after that the S-D rider - sorry i forgot his name - let Voeckler and Voigt go, S-D rider got third at that stage of Vuelta Pais Vasco).;)

That's correct - I was wondering what that was all about because Voigt remonstrated with the SD rider (was it Perez???) during the attack.

I didn't know that Voigt was the union leader!

whiteboytrash said:
Elected Union leader ! and a bloody good one as well ! He has lots of respect in the bunch.....

I've no doubt JV is an excellent rep : I just wasn't aware of it.

I like JV - he's a down to earth no nonsense character.
That shot of him riding tandem with the blindcouple who are is fans, says a lot about him.

whiteboytrash said:
Elected Union leader ! and a bloody good one as well ! He has lots of respect in the bunch.....
Yes that's why the S-D rider (yes: it was Juan Jose Cobo:cool: ) didn't went with him (by the way, i didn't mind, i would be angry in voigt's position during that race as well..), Voigt has a lot of respect in the bunch and Cobo knew he would get into trouble.... I will try to find out what voigt said to him, might take a while, but i think i speak with Jens on April 29 (retirement race for Rolf Aldag, Jens will be there).

bobke said:
Davitamon is filing an officail complaint with UCI.
Regarding the stupid decision to
1. have a rail crossing 10 km from the finish
2. not have trains held or delayed
3. no marshals stopped Hoste or PVP
4. Boonen etc al also crossed wioth the barriers down
5. there were two train tracks and other trains could have been coming

etc

Dirk Demol said their complaint is in the mail as well.
Gee I wonder what will happen.
The usual. UCI ALWAYS has to be right.

So Speaking of rider's health...why have train crossing and barriers you can rider around etc.
The riders need a union.

I'm sympathetic to the riders here. Getting DSQ'd is rough especially since all three were riding a good race. But it *is* for their safety. I mean, did you see how fast that train was moving? It was flying. Definitely dangerous to cross.

As for schedules, the race was 45 minutes ahead of schedule.

Trains are part of the terrain. There have been lots and lots of controversial stages and races where a train crossing has interfered with the race.

tcklyde said:
I'm sympathetic to the riders here. Getting DSQ'd is rough especially since all three were riding a good race. But it *is* for their safety. I mean, did you see how fast that train was moving? It was flying. Definitely dangerous to cross.

As for schedules, the race was 45 minutes ahead of schedule.

Trains are part of the terrain. There have been lots and lots of controversial stages and races where a train crossing has interfered with the race.
The circumstances that these riders found themselves in, during one of the most famous and one of the toughest one day races was just plain cruel. PVP, Hoste & Gusev were riding to win with 10km to race. I don't think you can blame them for their lack of foresight regarding the level crossing rules.

And to apply the rule which does clearly state riders will be DSQ'd for crossing a level crossing with the barriers down for one group but not the next is plain unfair. If a rule is going to be applied (as it should be) it needs to happen indiscriminately.

I think race organiser's need to learn from this and in future have a marshal manning the crossing and the option to delay the train.

Sure train crossings are part of the terrain but it is just poor management to have them deciding race outcomes as in this case.

whiteboytrash said:
Was a train involved ?
yes, a Quickstep train with an average speed of more than 50 k's in the first hour. Lots of crashes and the bunch broke into 4 parts.

cyclingheroes said:
yes, a Quickstep train with an average speed of more than 50 k's in the first hour. Lots of crashes and the bunch broke into 4 parts.
and the QS train-plot flicked PVP into a ditch today in Scheldeprijs and he broke his collarbone

funny how Boonens biggest rivals keep crashing
no one else notice the pattern?