Touring and recreational cycling · Public discussion

Dawes Audax.....any good????

Started by limpet · · Last activity · 3 posts · 10,622 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Touring and recreational cycling
Published
13 February 2004
Last activity
1 June 2004
Original author
limpet
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
10,622
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello all, a while ago I had a trip in France on an adapted road bike, with a rear rack held on with tie wraps etc, and although I enjoyed it the bike did suffer from instability on downhills. due in no small part to also having a bar bag attached on a bike with a shortish wheelbase.
    I am hoping to go back and I would like to do the job properly this time.
    To that end I was looking at buying a Dawes Galaxy, that was until I saw they do an Audax bike.
    The current model I think is tig welded 631, but I am looking at an older model which is made from 531c.
    So what I am really asking is what are the relevent merits of the Galaxy versus the Audax?
    The spec of the Audax appeals, ie STI, lowish weight, etc. but is the Galaxy a better bet ie more comfortable, stable, tougher.
    Anyway all I am asking for is some honest advice.
    Many thanks

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by limpet
    Hello all, a while ago I had a trip in France on an adapted road bike, with a rear rack held on with tie wraps etc, and although I enjoyed it the bike did suffer from instability on downhills. due in no small part to also having a bar bag attached on a bike with a shortish wheelbase.
    I am hoping to go back and I would like to do the job properly this time.
    To that end I was looking at buying a Dawes Galaxy, that was until I saw they do an Audax bike.
    The current model I think is tig welded 631, but I am looking at an older model which is made from 531c.
    So what I am really asking is what are the relevent merits of the Galaxy versus the Audax?
    The spec of the Audax appeals, ie STI, lowish weight, etc. but is the Galaxy a better bet ie more comfortable, stable, tougher.
    Anyway all I am asking for is some honest advice.
    Many thanks

    I too would be interested in people's opinions of the Dawes Audax. I currently ride a 20-year-old custom built fast touring bike (531 frame with miniminal clearance for mudguards), mainly for commuting, but in the past I've done a few tours and many long day rides on it. It's a bit unstable when loaded up for touring but nice and responsive when unladen. The problem is things are wearing out now and modern hubs/gears aren't compatible with the frame. When the next big repair bill comes along I'll probably have to replace it. I thought the Dawes Audax looked good value given it's frame and quality components (Shimano 105). Has anyone got one? The other contender for me is a custom built bike from M. Steel (Gosforth), so I'd be interested in anyone's experience of these or other similar fast touring bikes I should consider.

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by limpet
    Hello all, a while ago I had a trip in France on an adapted road bike, with a rear rack held on with tie wraps etc, and although I enjoyed it the bike did suffer from instability on downhills. due in no small part to also having a bar bag attached on a bike with a shortish wheelbase.
    I am hoping to go back and I would like to do the job properly this time.
    To that end I was looking at buying a Dawes Galaxy, that was until I saw they do an Audax bike.
    The current model I think is tig welded 631, but I am looking at an older model which is made from 531c.
    So what I am really asking is what are the relevent merits of the Galaxy versus the Audax?
    The spec of the Audax appeals, ie STI, lowish weight, etc. but is the Galaxy a better bet ie more comfortable, stable, tougher.
    Anyway all I am asking for is some honest advice.
    Many thanks

    Galaxy looks more suitable for touring.
    I can't find many specifications on the frame dimensions, but the gearing, tire sizing, and braking on the Galaxy look OK for touring.
    I would want to know that the chain stays are at least 44 cm long, and longer if I have big feet..
    The Audax looks suitable for commuting and recreational riding, but I would NOT expect it to handle 40 pounds of unsprung weight for touring.

    <http://www.bgcycles.com/bruce.html>

    Bruce Gordon's inputs are worth a look.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.