Dawes Audax.....any good????

limpet

Feb 13, 2004
Hello all, a while ago I had a trip in France on an adapted road bike, with a rear rack held on with tie wraps etc, and although I enjoyed it the bike did suffer from instability on downhills. due in no small part to also having a bar bag attached on a bike with a shortish wheelbase.
I am hoping to go back and I would like to do the job properly this time.
To that end I was looking at buying a Dawes Galaxy, that was until I saw they do an Audax bike.
The current model I think is tig welded 631, but I am looking at an older model which is made from 531c.
So what I am really asking is what are the relevent merits of the Galaxy versus the Audax?
The spec of the Audax appeals, ie STI, lowish weight, etc. but is the Galaxy a better bet ie more comfortable, stable, tougher.
Anyway all I am asking for is some honest advice.
Many thanks

Originally posted by limpet
Hello all, a while ago I had a trip in France on an adapted road bike, with a rear rack held on with tie wraps etc, and although I enjoyed it the bike did suffer from instability on downhills. due in no small part to also having a bar bag attached on a bike with a shortish wheelbase.
To that end I was looking at buying a Dawes Galaxy, that was until I saw they do an Audax bike.
The current model I think is tig welded 631, but I am looking at an older model which is made from 531c.
So what I am really asking is what are the relevent merits of the Galaxy versus the Audax?
The spec of the Audax appeals, ie STI, lowish weight, etc. but is the Galaxy a better bet ie more comfortable, stable, tougher.
Many thanks

I too would be interested in people's opinions of the Dawes Audax. I currently ride a 20-year-old custom built fast touring bike (531 frame with miniminal clearance for mudguards), mainly for commuting, but in the past I've done a few tours and many long day rides on it. It's a bit unstable when loaded up for touring but nice and responsive when unladen. The problem is things are wearing out now and modern hubs/gears aren't compatible with the frame. When the next big repair bill comes along I'll probably have to replace it. I thought the Dawes Audax looked good value given it's frame and quality components (Shimano 105). Has anyone got one? The other contender for me is a custom built bike from M. Steel (Gosforth), so I'd be interested in anyone's experience of these or other similar fast touring bikes I should consider.

Originally posted by limpet
Many thanks

Galaxy looks more suitable for touring.
I can't find many specifications on the frame dimensions, but the gearing, tire sizing, and braking on the Galaxy look OK for touring.
I would want to know that the chain stays are at least 44 cm long, and longer if I have big feet..
The Audax looks suitable for commuting and recreational riding, but I would NOT expect it to handle 40 pounds of unsprung weight for touring.

<http://www.bgcycles.com/bruce.html>

Bruce Gordon's inputs are worth a look.