Dawes Audax or Super Galaxy?

Graham.Ogle

Guest
I'm looking at either a Dawes Audax or a Super Galaxy for
CTC rides of 25 to 100 miles, plus some lightweight B+B
touring. I've been using my stripped down lightweight tri
bike so far, but would really appreciate mudguards, rack and
a bit more comfort. Does anyone have any information on the
weights of these two bikes? Weight isn't eveything, but I
also don't want anything too sluggish. Will I notice any
difference between these two bikes? I know there are many
more bikes I could consider, but the choice is so large,
that my budget restricts me to these two which are available
at good prices.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Thanks Graham

graham.ogle wrote:

> I'm looking at either a Dawes Audax or a Super Galaxy for
> CTC rides of 25 to 100 miles, plus some lightweight B+B
> touring. I've been using my stripped down lightweight tri
> bike so far, but would really appreciate mudguards, rack
> and a bit more comfort. Does anyone have any information
> on the weights of these two bikes? Weight isn't eveything,
> but I also don't want anything too sluggish. Will I notice
> any difference between these two bikes? I know there are
> many more bikes I could consider, but the choice is so
> large, that my budget restricts me to these two which are
> available at good prices.
>
> Any help gratefully recieved.
>
> Thanks Graham

Can't help I'm afraid - my dawes audax is the 01 or 02 and a
531c frame, not the current version in 631?

The 531c was much lighter than a 531 standard galaxy. I can
lift the 531c audax onto a shoulder fairly easily (was very
easy before I added rack/lights/heavy lock/etc etc) and I'm
a wimpy girl with no arm muscles.

Even though it's steel, albeit the lighter frame, it's a
lovely fast ride though my legs won't do it justice. I'd
imagine if you're not going to be camping touring with it,
the audax'd be the one to go for. I've done 25-30 miles on
mine on the spur of the moment and that's quite an
acheivement given I'm not a regular cyclist and the legs are
as unmuscly as the arms ;-) I doubt I'd manage that on a
super galaxy.

As I said, I can't give any figures for weight cos the
current audax is totally different frame to mine - but I
do remember finding somewhere online that DID give the
weights of various bikes. Maybe worth a call to dawes
themselves to ask them.

My audax will take up to 28mm tyres under the mudguards,
iirc, and I slapped a tubus fly rear rack on it, though if
you're doing B&B touring you might want a slightly heavier
rack on - the weight carrying abilities varied quite a bit
between the 531c frame audax and the galaxy too, iirc.

Velvet