Dawes Discovery 301

Whilst I've no experience of teh DAwes 301, I had a go on a 401 the other day (when one turned up at the bike standas at work :) Not a bad machine, definitely seemed well put together, and compared to some of the other BSO's at work, definitely worth the extra.

Other bike in the £300 area would be the Spcialized Crossroads, Edindurgh Bike Co-Op Pathfinder, Ridgeback Comet and Giant Escape. All under the price mark, and flat bars. IIRC there has been some dicussion about the Crossroads here before, and the EBC bikes are generally considered to be good,vfm.

Bryan

"Andy Leighton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 06:08:41 GMT, Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Thanks, but i don`t wish to get around at high speeds and i don`t like
> > dropped bars, i am just making the point that i seem to be thrashing my
> > pedals and getting no-where fast....

> Earlier you said 25mph and now you say nowhere fast. 25mph is damn fast
> in my book.

Maybe, but not when you feel you `could` use another cog!!!......and i
certainly don`t need a `triple` chainset!!!.....maybe a larger
single.....you`d think 18 gears was overkill unless you are HGV.....i used
to ride single speed cogs in the 50`s.....dirt track riding....

Having said that, the 301 is 24 speed !!! with a lower 1st and higher 8th
ratio...... :-/

Lee.....

Lee wrote:

> Maybe, but not when you feel you `could` use another cog!!!......and i
> certainly don`t need a `triple` chainset!!!

"Need", no. I did just fine with 6x2 for everything, including touring,
for years, but now I've got more it just means I can more easily
optimise speed/cadence, which is a Good Thing.

> you`d think 18 gears was overkill unless you are HGV

But you don't really have 18 because of the overlaps between the
chainwheels and sprockets. But the more gears you have, if they're well
selected, means you can keep rolling at a reasonably steady cadence
irrespective of terrain. It's not about the absolute capabilities at
the ends of the ranges so much as optimising the middle ground as well
as possible, because that's where you are most of the time.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <%[email protected]>, Lee wrote:
> >"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> In article <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch wrote:

<snip

> >Thanks Alan, i notice (like Peter) you have also stayed with `Dawes`, but

> That was just an example at a similar price because you are looking
> at a Dawes at the moment.
>

> >the `Giro 300` is more race orientated

> As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can sustain 25mph on the flat on a
> £90 mountain bike is race (or at least speed) oriented....

Well Alan i am using a very optomistic `Raleigh` cycle computer !!!!!!!!
;-)

He he......

Lee....

In article <[email protected]>
Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> <snip
> > >
> > >Thanks Alan, i notice (like Peter) you have also stayed with `Dawes`, but

> > That was just an example at a similar price because you are looking
> > at a Dawes at the moment.
> >

> > >the `Giro 300` is more race orientated

> > As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can sustain 25mph on the flat on a
> > £90 mountain bike is race (or at least speed) oriented....

> Well Alan i am using a very optomistic `Raleigh` cycle computer !!!!!!!!
> ;-)

Any cycle computer should be pretty accurate if properly calibrated -
all it does is time the duration of a wheel rotation and perform some
simple arithmetic using the wheel circumference.

in message <[email protected]>, Lee
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> Lee wrote:
>>
>> > Daily shopping (about 5 miles daily) and occasional weekend rides up
>> > to 30-40 miles, no offroad......

>> You might have a look at a Dawes Horizon, or whatever Edinburgh Cycles
>> call their equivalent. The rack will take the panniers for your
>> shopping, and you'll probably find it a better bet for longer rides.

> Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars
> would have to go!. :)

Don't be certain about that. Drop bars give you lots of hand positions,
which many people find makes them more comfortable on longer trips.

;; Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

in message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Lee wrote:
>
>> I am looking at a Dawes Dicovery 301 for £270 as a next step up and am
>> told that with the extra cogs, i should be able to reach more than
>> 25mph on the flat, besides, i like it very much but would like a
>> second opinion as to whether there is a better choice for around the
>> same cash....

> 25 mph on the flat is difficult to sustain: once you're up towards 20
> air resistance is the main factor, and the upright ride position of a
> hybrid contributes quite a bit to air resistance, so I wouldn't assume
> you'll be doing 25 mph everywhere with no hills!

Yup, hadn't spotted that bit. 25 mph is about 24 minutes for a ten mile
time trial. There are three or four people in my club who can beat
that - on specially adapted, highly aerodynamic time trial bikes. There
is one person in our club who can do 26 minutes - about 23 mph - on a
flat barred mountain bike. He's the Scottish national cross country
champion, and rode in the Commonwealth Games.

Ordinary mortals cannot sustain 25mph on the flat on a flat barred bike
for very long.

;; all in all you're just another click in the call
;; -- Minke Bouyed

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:

> in message <[email protected]>, Lee
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>> "Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message news:[email protected]...

>>> You might have a look at a Dawes Horizon, or whatever Edinburgh Cycles
>>> call their equivalent. The rack will take the panniers for your
>>> shopping, and you'll probably find it a better bet for longer rides.

>> Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars
>> would have to go!. :)

> Don't be certain about that. Drop bars give you lots of hand
> positions, which many people find makes them more comfortable on
> longer trips.

I much prefer drops even though I spend most of my time just on the
hoods. I occasionally use the top of the bar when I'm tired. I only
ever use the drops properly when I'm going down hill, being in a tuck
and pedalling has interference issues between my legs and my aerobelly
;o)

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

>> Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars
>> would have to go!. :)

> Don't be certain about that. Drop bars give you lots of hand positions,
> which many people find makes them more comfortable on longer trips.

And don't have to be lower than flat bars. Just fitted a new stem to the
junk bike and now I've a drop bar bike with a proper sit up and beg
position.

> Ordinary mortals cannot sustain 25mph on the flat on a flat barred bike
> for very long.

<whispers> This is why we all stop at red </whispers>

Mark Thompson <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> writes:

>> Ordinary mortals cannot sustain 25mph on the flat on a flat barred
>> bike for very long.

> <whispers> This is why we all stop at red </whispers>

I'm certainly red when I stop and my shades have been known to mist up
too.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Simon Brooke wrote:
> Ordinary mortals cannot sustain 25mph on the flat on a flat
> barred bike for very long.

I was cruising along a bus lane to work this morning. I don't know
what speed I was doing but I was keeping up with the traffic. Up ahead
was a car parked in the bus lane, so my options were slow down and
move in behind the car beside me or speed up and get in front. I went
for the latter and when I passed the parked car I glanced at the
computer and was surprised to see it was 31.2 mph. That was on my Rock
hopper.

Ok, the trip to work isn't very far and I do like to push my self.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

In article <[email protected]>
the.Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > Ordinary mortals cannot sustain 25mph on the flat on a flat
> > barred bike for very long.

> I was cruising along a bus lane to work this morning. I don't know
> what speed I was doing but I was keeping up with the traffic. Up ahead
> was a car parked in the bus lane, so my options were slow down and
> move in behind the car beside me or speed up and get in front. I went
> for the latter and when I passed the parked car I glanced at the
> computer and was surprised to see it was 31.2 mph. That was on my Rock
> hopper.
>
> Ok, the trip to work isn't very far and I do like to push my self.

If the traffic's close you'll get a tow too.

> in message <[email protected]>, Lee
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

> > "Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]...
> >> Lee wrote:

<snip

> > Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars
> > would have to go!. :)

> Don't be certain about that. Drop bars give you lots of hand positions,
> which many people find makes them more comfortable on longer trips.

Yes, i appreciate the extra hand positions Simon but i find that `straight`
bars feel more comfortable, for me, that is!!!.

I have bought the `301` and am very impressed with it, it`s everything and
more than i expected: i have only been back into cycling for the past two
years and am still toning up my muscles and endurance so that i have to have
several breaks over a 5 mile trip....

Riding the `301` yesterday i found i didn`t have to stop once....the gears
were so well spaced that i had no real stress on climbing hills and the
flats were even quicker than my £90 wonderbike....a much smoother ride and
no feeling of cheapness......the difference is dramatic.....i`m well
pleased.

This modern breed of `bike is so far removed from the `bikes i rode as a kid
in the `50s....i`m well impressed...

Regards...

Lee....

> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> ;; Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

"Chris Eilbeck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > in message <[email protected]>, Lee
> > ('[email protected]') wrote:
> >

> >> "Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> message news:[email protected]...

> >> Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars
> >> would have to go!. :)

> > Don't be certain about that. Drop bars give you lots of hand
> > positions, which many people find makes them more comfortable on
> > longer trips.

> I much prefer drops even though I spend most of my time just on the
> hoods. I occasionally use the top of the bar when I'm tired. I only
> ever use the drops properly when I'm going down hill, being in a tuck
> and pedalling has interference issues between my legs and my aerobelly
> ;o)
>
> Chris
> --
> Chris Eilbeck

I found that Chris, when i was younger i used drops but was always upright
on the tops: i didn`t really like crouching , it used to make my neck ache;
so i replaced the drops for straights...been with them since...

Lee.....

"Mark Thompson"
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> >> Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars
> >> would have to go!. :)

> > Don't be certain about that. Drop bars give you lots of hand positions,
> > which many people find makes them more comfortable on longer trips.

> And don't have to be lower than flat bars. Just fitted a new stem to the
> junk bike and now I've a drop bar bike with a proper sit up and beg
> position.

Heh heh, nice one Mark....

Lee.....

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
In article <[email protected]>
Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> <snip

<snip

> > As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can sustain 25mph on the flat on a
> > £90 mountain bike is race (or at least speed) oriented....

> Well Alan i am using a very optomistic `Raleigh` cycle computer !!!!!!!!
> ;-)

Any cycle computer should be pretty accurate if properly calibrated -
all it does is time the duration of a wheel rotation and perform some
simple arithmetic using the wheel circumference.

I`ve never thought of cycle computers being that accurate actually Rob.....i
suppose i was brought up with the original wire linked type that came out
after the counter `trip meter`, if you remember them that is...... you had
to set the magnet to the diameter of the wheel and it was all very hit and
miss with around 10% error figures....a bit like chinese scooter
speedo`s.......the speed reading looked good made you feel good but got you
there no quicker. ;-)

Lee......

"the.Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > Ordinary mortals cannot sustain 25mph on the flat on a flat
> > barred bike for very long.

> I was cruising along a bus lane to work this morning. I don't know
> what speed I was doing but I was keeping up with the traffic. Up ahead
> was a car parked in the bus lane, so my options were slow down and
> move in behind the car beside me or speed up and get in front. I went
> for the latter and when I passed the parked car I glanced at the
> computer and was surprised to see it was 31.2 mph. That was on my Rock
> hopper.

Snap!!!!....been there.......there are times when that bit extra is
useful....the wind isn`t always in your face is it??

> Ok, the trip to work isn't very far and I do like to push my self.

I like to push myself, then need a lo-o-o-ng rest !!! :)

Lee.....

Lee wrote:

> I have bought the `301` and am very impressed with it, it`s everything and
> more than i expected: i have only been back into cycling for the past two
> years and am still toning up my muscles and endurance so that i have to have
> several breaks over a 5 mile trip....

So you can pedal at 25mph on the flat but need several breaks in 5 miles.
You must have some interesting medical conditions!

--
Eiron

No good deed ever goes unpunished.

"Eiron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Lee wrote:
>
> > I have bought the `301` and am very impressed with it, it`s everything

and
> > more than i expected: i have only been back into cycling for the past

two
> > years and am still toning up my muscles and endurance so that i have to

have
> > several breaks over a 5 mile trip....

> So you can pedal at 25mph on the flat but need several breaks in 5 miles.
> You must have some interesting medical conditions!

Lee......