UK and Europe · Public discussion

Dawes Discovery Junior vs. Ridgeback Comet 24" vs. ?

Started by Alan Braggins · · Last activity · 5 posts · 583 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
3 April 2005
Last activity
17 April 2005
Original author
Alan Braggins
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
583
Views / 30 days
6
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking at bicycles for a 9 year old, or in the case of the Subject
    not looking at them because LBS doesn't have them in, but can get them,
    at least for the moment, the Ridgeback having been discontinued.

    Any thoughts on those or similar things I should be looking at?
    There are plenty of mountain bikes, but those are the only hybrid
    type ones I've come across.
    (A KMX or a Trek 1000 Kids have been ruled out on cost grounds,
    but a hybrid is probably more practical anyway.)

  2. Alan Braggins said:

    I'm looking at bicycles for a 9 year old, or in the case of the Subject
    not looking at them because LBS doesn't have them in, but can get them,
    at least for the moment, the Ridgeback having been discontinued.

    Any thoughts on those or similar things I should be looking at?
    There are plenty of mountain bikes, but those are the only hybrid
    type ones I've come across.
    (A KMX or a Trek 1000 Kids have been ruled out on cost grounds,
    but a hybrid is probably more practical anyway.)

    Boy or girl? We've got a girls Specialised Hotrock 24" for that age
    surplus to requirements now they've grown a bit. A1 condition

    e-mail me if interested (take out the junk and put my first name in)

    Tony

  3. On 03 Apr 2005 21:27:20 +0100 (BST), [email hidden] (Alan

    Braggins) said:

    I'm looking at bicycles for a 9 year old, or in the case of the Subject
    not looking at them because LBS doesn't have them in, but can get them,
    at least for the moment, the Ridgeback having been discontinued.

    We have never been disappointed with a Dawes bike, but most bike shop
    bikes are pretty good these days. We bought the Dawes Kokomo 24 for
    Michael and he's ridden it on 50 mile club rides as well as round
    Bracknell Forest, so it's been pretty versatile and we've certainly
    had our money's worth out of it. Even more so in a year or so when
    Pete takes it over :-)

    Jeez how they grow, though! Michael's mainly been riding the triplet
    or not at all since September last, and I had to raise the saddle over
    an inch yesterday!

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  4. In article said:
    Alan Braggins said:

    I'm looking at bicycles for a 9 year old, or in the case of the Subject
    not looking at them because LBS doesn't have them in, but can get them,
    at least for the moment, the Ridgeback having been discontinued.

    Any thoughts on those or similar things I should be looking at?
    There are plenty of mountain bikes, but those are the only hybrid
    type ones I've come across.
    (A KMX or a Trek 1000 Kids have been ruled out on cost grounds,
    but a hybrid is probably more practical anyway.)

    Boy or girl? We've got a girls Specialised Hotrock 24" for that age
    surplus to requirements now they've grown a bit. A1 condition

    I've now bought Tony's Specialized (which was indeed in excellent condition).
    My son is really pleased with it, so I'd appreciate it if anyone seeing
    us doesn't say "there are some little pink flower stickers on that, it's
    a girly bike" :-) (The boys and girls frames were different shapes that
    year, but there are plenty of boys bikes with similar frames, and it's
    not pink.)
    It's not a hybrid, but it is good value, and not overweight as mountain
    bikes go.

  5. Alan Braggins said:


    I've now bought Tony's Specialized (which was indeed in excellent condition).
    My son is really pleased with it, so I'd appreciate it if anyone seeing
    us doesn't say "there are some little pink flower stickers on that, it's
    a girly bike" :-) (The boys and girls frames were different shapes that
    year, but there are plenty of boys bikes with similar frames, and it's
    not pink.)
    It's not a hybrid, but it is good value, and not overweight as mountain
    bikes go.

    Glad he likes it - he had such a big grin on his face trying it out and
    its nice to know it has gone to someone that will enjoy it. Soon fix
    the flowers with a few skull stickers!

    Tony

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.