Dawes Discovery with Deore?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Neil McLaughlin, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. I'm currently lookin at hybrids to buy for around £500 and checked out the Dawes Dicovery 601. It
    seems like a nice enough bike but should I be concerned that it has a MTB groupset: XT rear, Deore
    front. Most other manufacturers in this price range, Specialized, Ridgeback, Marin etc, go for road
    specific groupsets such as Shimano Tiagra and 105s.
    --
    Neil M

    Tags:

  2. Nc

    Nc Guest

    "Neil McLaughlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I'm currently lookin at hybrids to buy for around £500 and checked out the Dawes Dicovery 601. It
    > seems like a nice enough bike but should I be concerned that it has a MTB groupset: XT rear, Deore
    > front. Most other manufacturers in this price range, Specialized, Ridgeback, Marin etc, go
    for
    > road specific groupsets such as Shimano Tiagra and 105s.

    Wouldn't bother me, with one check below.

    The distinction between MTB and Road gear sets is somewhat artificial. Yes, it makes a difference
    when you get to pure road gear ratios (close ratio rear blocks, small capacity gear changers and
    twin front rings), but when dealing with wide-range touring/hybrid gears and triple chainrings there
    is little to choose.

    Only area I would check is the overall ratios; are the front rings large enough for general
    road use. I find "compact" MTB rings result in the bulk of gear ratios concentrated a little
    low for road use.

    Nigel

  3. Ben

    Ben Guest

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 17:00:40 +0100, "Neil McLaughlin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm currently lookin at hybrids to buy for around £500 and checked out the Dawes Dicovery 601. It
    >seems like a nice enough bike but should I be concerned that it has a MTB groupset: XT rear, Deore
    >front. Most other manufacturers in this price range, Specialized, Ridgeback, Marin etc, go for road
    >specific groupsets such as Shimano Tiagra and 105s.

    Don't worry about it, XT and Deore are at the quality end of the mtb groupsets and will give just as
    good performance as the road stuff. Probably be a good bit tougher as well.
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
    'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****

  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    According to the Dawes website it's a non-compact 26,36,48 Deore chainset and the cassette is 11-32.
    This gives a great range of gears for all sorts of riding.

    I ride a Dawes Chilliwack with a 28,38,48 chainset and an 11-30 cassette and 48-11 is fine for
    on-road, in fact it's a tad higher the 52-12 found on many road bikes (although some roadies do have
    52-11 as the highest gear).

    You'll also be able to do tracks and trails (as a hybrid should) and you won't come across anything
    short of vertical walls that you can't get up in 26-32!! The Vredestien Spider tyres are great
    on/off road tyres too.

    The mountain bike groupsets will give the sort of durability and performance that you'd want
    for a hybrid.

    If you want a pure on-road bike the you might consider the Discovery 701 which has a road chainset,
    carbon fork and and racing tyres (it's a bit above your £500 limit though) or perpaps one of the
    Ridgeback Genesis bikes. Equally, if you want something a little more to the mountain bike side of
    hybrid then the Ridgeback Switch series looks great.

    Enjoy whatever you choose. Kind Regards, Paul.

  5. On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:00:40 +0100, Neil McLaughlin did issue forth:

    > I'm currently lookin at hybrids to buy for around £500 and checked out the Dawes Dicovery 601. It
    > seems like a nice enough bike but should I be concerned that it has a MTB groupset: XT rear, Deore
    > front. Most other manufacturers in this price range, Specialized, Ridgeback, Marin etc, go for
    > road specific groupsets such as Shimano Tiagra and 105s.

    If we're just talking about MTB derailleurs, then I don't see a problem here. If it's got an MTB
    chainset and cassette, then your gearing is going to be lower than it would be with road components.
    Whether or not this is a problem is, I guess, down to personal preference.

    Huw

  6. In my experience, the thing to really worry about is the rear hub.

    DO NOT get a rear hub that's not a Shimano cassette (and made by Shimano). I've never got another
    type of cassette hub that didn't give trouble, and Shimano ones seldom do.

  7. Neil M

    Neil M Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > According to the Dawes website it's a non-compact 26,36,48 Deore chainset and the cassette is
    > 11-32. This gives a great range of gears for all sorts of riding.
    >
    > I ride a Dawes Chilliwack with a 28,38,48 chainset and an 11-30 cassette
    and
    > 48-11 is fine for on-road, in fact it's a tad higher the 52-12 found on
    many
    > road bikes (although some roadies do have 52-11 as the highest gear).
    >
    > You'll also be able to do tracks and trails (as a hybrid should) and you won't come across
    > anything short of vertical walls that you can't get up
    in
    > 26-32!! The Vredestien Spider tyres are great on/off road tyres too.
    >
    > The mountain bike groupsets will give the sort of durability and
    performance
    > that you'd want for a hybrid.
    >
    > If you want a pure on-road bike the you might consider the Discovery 701 which has a road
    > chainset, carbon fork and and racing tyres (it's a bit above your £500 limit though) or perpaps
    > one of the Ridgeback Genesis
    bikes.
    > Equally, if you want something a little more to the mountain bike side of hybrid then the
    > Ridgeback Switch series looks great.
    >
    > Enjoy whatever you choose. Kind Regards, Paul.

    Thanks for that Paul, I'm not after anything too roadie, I've already excluded the Genesis and 701
    which I think are more like flat bar racers. I was more inclined to the Specialized Sirrus Sport but
    my choice is limited due to this being an insurance replacement and the company replacing my bike
    don't have any Sirrus in stock until the '04s come out. So it looks like I'll probably go fot the
    Discovery 601, they seem to have a reasonably good reputation.

    Cheers Neil M.

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 17:00:40 +0100, "Neil McLaughlin" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm currently lookin at hybrids to buy for around £500 and checked out the Dawes Dicovery 601. It
    >seems like a nice enough bike but should I be concerned that it has a MTB groupset: XT rear,
    >Deore front.

    I run XT on my tourer and my recumbent, no problem at all. Handles wide-range cassettes very well,
    reliable, easy to maintain. Buy with confidence, I say.

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!
    Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

  9. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Neil McLaughlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I'm currently lookin at hybrids to buy for around £500 and checked out the Dawes Dicovery 601. It
    > seems like a nice enough bike but should I be concerned that it has a MTB groupset: XT rear, Deore
    > front. Most other manufacturers in this price range, Specialized, Ridgeback, Marin etc, go
    for
    > road specific groupsets such as Shimano Tiagra and 105s.
    > --
    > Neil M
    >
    > Do not buy a Hybrid ! You will regret it.

    Graham

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Neil McLaughlin wrote:
    > I'm currently lookin at hybrids to buy for around £500 and checked out the Dawes Dicovery 601. It
    > seems like a nice enough bike but should I be concerned that it has a MTB groupset: XT rear,
    > Deore front.

    No, I reckon that's a positively good thing for that type of bike. Road bike gears are often too
    high for many people. The cassette can always be changed if you want to roadify the gears a bit as
    rear MTB mechs are compatible with all Shimano cassettes.

    ~PB