Dawes Galaxy Frames

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by vernon levy, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    I have just acquired a Super Galaxy frame to transfer the components from my
    existing Galaxy onto as the frame appeared to be a bargain at £65 inc
    postage - much cheaper than having the fractured drop out replaced on the
    Galaxy frame. Apart from being lighter and having an internal cable run in
    the top tube, are there any other differences in construction/geometry? Can
    I expect any difference in the ride quality.

    Cheers

    vernon

    Tags:

  2. R. Murphy

    R. Murphy Guest

    The internal cable run in the top tube - is this then the same 531 frame as
    on my '93 Galaxy?

    If so then at the time, as far as I can remember, the differences between
    the Galaxy/Super Galaxy of the time were not in the frame, but the bits -
    higher spec transmission, bar end shifters, different rims, extra carrier
    (i.e front as well as rear included).

    Oh, and a different colour of "hard-as-nails" paint.

    Ride quality - good, from where I sit!

    "vernon levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have just acquired a Super Galaxy frame to transfer the components from
    >my existing Galaxy onto as the frame appeared to be a bargain at £65 inc
    >postage - much cheaper than having the fractured drop out replaced on the
    >Galaxy frame. Apart from being lighter and having an internal cable run in
    >the top tube, are there any other differences in construction/geometry?
    >Can I expect any difference in the ride quality.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > vernon

  3. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    "R. Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The internal cable run in the top tube - is this then the same 531 frame
    > as on my '93 Galaxy?
    >
    > If so then at the time, as far as I can remember, the differences between
    > the Galaxy/Super Galaxy of the time were not in the frame, but the bits -
    > higher spec transmission, bar end shifters, different rims, extra carrier
    > (i.e front as well as rear included).
    >
    > Oh, and a different colour of "hard-as-nails" paint.
    >
    > Ride quality - good, from where I sit!

    Is there any way of dating the frame apart from buying it a drink and
    enquiring after its modelling aspirations? ;-)

  4. vernon levy wrote:

    > Is there any way of dating the frame apart from buying it a drink and
    > enquiring after its modelling aspirations? ;-)

    Tell it you'd like to attach a chain to it and give it a good lube?

  5. I forgot... IGMC.

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Simon Bennett
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > vernon levy wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any way of dating the frame apart from buying it a drink and
    >> enquiring after its modelling aspirations? ;-)

    > Tell it you'd like to attach a chain to it and give it a good lube?

    Just don't stare too obviously at its bottom bracket.

    ' ' <------- this blank intentionally spaced left