Touring and recreational cycling · Public discussion

DAWES GALAXY OR KEEP TREK 100C

Started by kookie · · Last activity · 3 posts · 2,141 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Touring and recreational cycling
Published
8 July 2011
Last activity
9 July 2011
Original author
kookie
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,141
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have posted in new bikes but I am unsure if you would browse in this section. I would be grateful if you could look at the post. Sorry if I have breached any protocol but I could not work out where my message was best placed.

  2. Sorry should have included the text -rude of me

    Hi second attempt lost first message so this is going to be a shorter version.

    Plan to do a lot more touring struggle on hills on my trek 100c 2005 cogs 52 40 30 ?

    Ride to work scheme after all the discounts and selling my trek for £100 I can a dicontinued Dawes Galaxy for around £400 2009 model.

    I find inclines difficult on the Trek though it has been a great bike

    The question is though im planning these trips and hope to extend to abroad camping etc, if it does not come off will i find the dawes a better bike for the hills and general riding I had a quick test ride in London, no hills, the gears were on the end of the bars and were silky smooth.

    Or stick with trek and maybe change the gearing

    48 38 26 are the ratio on the daws (google dawes 2009 galaxy the evans website shows spec)

  3. Probably for less than £60 (use eBay), you could change the cassette to a MTB cassette (e.g., 11-32) + MTB rear derailleur (e.g., Shimano LX) ...

    • Depending on the rear derailleur which your bike currently has, you may not need to change current rear derailleur, but I would plan on it.

    OR, you could just change the crankset (and, depending on your bike's current drivetrain, possibly the BB, too) on your current bike to one with lower gearing ...

    OR, you could simply change the Granny to a smaller one (I'm presuming your chainrings aren't riveted to the crankset).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.