DAWES GALAXY OR KEEP TREK 100C

kookie

Jul 8, 2011
Hi second attempt lost first message so this is going to be a shorter version.

Plan to do a lot more touring struggle on hills on my trek 100c 2005 cogs 52 40 30 ?

Ride to work scheme after all the discounts and selling my trek for £100 I can a dicontinued Dawes Galaxy for around £400 2009 model.

I find inclines difficult on the Trek though it has been a great bike

The question is though im planning these trips and hope to extend to abroad camping etc, if it does not come off will i find the dawes a better bike for the hills and general riding I had a quick test ride in London, no hills, the gears were on the end of the bars and were silky smooth.

Or stick with trek and maybe change the gearing

48 38 26 are the ratio on the daws (google dawes 2009 galaxy the evans website shows spec)

What a difference 4 teeth make. There's nothing wrong with the Dawes and probably not with your Trek either. In my opinion, what you need to do is Hill Repeats. Find a small hill and climb it to the top, coast down and do it again, and again. Do this three times a week. When this hill becomes easy, find a higher hill and do the same thing. Basically what you are doing is building up your legs for climbing and hopefully developing good hill climbing form. A different bike is not going to do that for you. But if you love the Dawes over your Trek, then get it.