Dawes Horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Susan Sadler

I'm probably getting a Dawes horizon for a Valentine's pressie. I intend to use it as a way in to
cycling in a semi-serious sort of way. Mostly shortish (20 mile) day rides and similar light touring
(so I'm told!) sort of stuff.

Simple question really. Is this the right bike for me?

Sue Sadler

... will this be the one with the pink heart-shaped frame and a holder for a single red rose on the
handlebars? - luck girl!

And in answer to your question - I would think so

RG

"Susan Sadler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm probably getting a Dawes horizon for a Valentine's pressie. I intend
to
> use it as a way in to cycling in a semi-serious sort of way. Mostly shortish (20 mile) day rides
> and similar light touring (so I'm told!) sort of stuff.
>
> Simple question really. Is this the right bike for me?
>
> Sue Sadler

In message <[email protected]>, Susan Sadler <[email protected]> writes
>I'm probably getting a Dawes horizon for a Valentine's pressie.

Nice pressie :)

> I intend to use it as a way in to cycling in a semi-serious sort of way. Mostly shortish (20
> mile) day rides and similar light touring (so I'm told!) sort of stuff.
>
>Simple question really. Is this the right bike for me?

Sounds just right for the job. Don't be afraid to change things though if you find you don't like
them, saddles esp are a personal thing.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Susan Sadler wrote:
> I'm probably getting a Dawes horizon for a Valentine's pressie. I intend to use it as a way in to
> cycling in a semi-serious sort of way. Mostly shortish (20 mile) day rides and similar light
> touring (so I'm told!) sort of stuff.
>

Whether it's right for you or not is hard for me to say, but I can tell you that I've fairly
recently bought myself a 2002 Horizon and think it's a great bike - reasonably light, feels sturdy,
comfortable, and so on. Would definitely recommend it... If you've got any specific questions feel
free to ask and I'll try to answer them :)

Cheers,

Simon

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:11:35 +0000 (UTC), "Susan Sadler" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm probably getting a Dawes horizon for a Valentine's pressie. I intend to use it as a way in to
>cycling in a semi-serious sort of way. Mostly shortish (20 mile) day rides and similar light
>touring (so I'm told!) sort of stuff.
>
>

The bike is excellent, as long as it fits. (Saddles and handlebars can be made to go backwards and
forwards as well as up and down).

Enjoy it.

John

"Susan Sadler" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> I'm probably getting a Dawes horizon for a Valentine's pressie. I intend to use it as a way in to
> cycling in a semi-serious sort of way. Mostly shortish (20 mile) day rides and similar light
> touring (so I'm told!) sort of stuff.
>

Got a Dawes Horizon for my wife a couple of years ago (actually an Edinburgh Country, but it's the
same bike).

It sounds ideal for what you want to do. We use our bikes for what you describe, and for commuting.

The only thing you'll need to change immediately, I suggest, is the saddle. The one it comes with is
not up to much and designed for men. My wife likes the women's specific Specialized Body Geometry
one, but others differ.

You can also adjust the brakes (if they are Shimano Sora like my wife's) so that the levers are
nearer to the bars; this helps if your hands are small.

Another thing is to make sure you get the right size. My wife is about average height for a woman
(5'5") and went for the smallest frame available. Again, they are designed for men.

We also changed the tyres on ours, for something a bit narrower and more hard-wearing. But
this can wait.

Toby

Simon Hay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Susan Sadler wrote:
> > I'm probably getting a Dawes horizon for a Valentine's pressie. I intend to use it as a way in
> > to cycling in a semi-serious sort of way. Mostly shortish (20 mile) day rides and similar light
> > touring (so I'm told!) sort of stuff.
> >
> > Simple question really. Is this the right bike for me?
>
> Whether it's right for you or not is hard for me to say, but I can tell you that I've fairly
> recently bought myself a 2002 Horizon and think it's a great bike - reasonably light, feels
> sturdy, comfortable, and so on. Would definitely recommend it... If you've got any specific
> questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon

It's a decent bike without doubt. The brakes took a bit of getting used to, being used to well
maintained car brakes previously, but after fiddling they are spot on now. Definately fit slick
tyres (28mm is the thinnest that will fit on the rim).

My biggest problem with the Horizon is that it hints at the fun to be had from a full-on racer. Like
living next door to a harem it offered only glimpses of true pleasure, but offered them frequently
enough that I could stand the temptation no longer and risked scorn and injury by buying a TCR
hard-core road bike.

SteveP

stephen pridgeon wrote:

> My biggest problem with the Horizon is that it hints at the fun to be had from a full-on racer.

Wearing a rucksack when you want to take anything anywhere... Not Fun in my book, as I usually want
to take things somewhere. That's something a tourer does unquestionably better than a racer,
assuming "something" is bigger than a banana. Also, though you'll find the exact right gear more
often on flats and downhills on a race bike, the bigger range on a tourer usually makes big, long
climbs rather nicer if you're not an out and out honker. Which one generally isn't, with luggage!
And being sprayed with cack because the road's wet and you don't have any mudguards isn't my idea of
a great time either...

Full on racers are great toys, but they only play one game.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

[email protected] (stephen pridgeon) wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> My biggest problem with the Horizon is that it hints at the fun to be had from a full-on racer.
> Like living next door to a harem it offered only glimpses of true pleasure, but offered them
> frequently enough that I could stand the temptation no longer and risked scorn and injury by
> buying a TCR hard-core road bike.

I too am getting this yearning. The fact that I already have two tourers (well I need them - what if
one's off the road for a day or two?) and limited space and money has stopped me.

Maybe, I should trade one of the tourers for an Audax bike. Still practical, but a bit faster? Or
maybe I should go the whole hog....

Toby

"Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (stephen pridgeon) wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
> > My biggest problem with the Horizon is that it hints at the fun to be had from a full-on racer.
> > Like living next door to a harem it offered only glimpses of true pleasure, but offered them
> > frequently enough that I could stand the temptation no longer and risked scorn and injury by
> > buying a TCR hard-core road bike.
>
> I too am getting this yearning. The fact that I already have two tourers (well I need them - what
> if one's off the road for a day or two?) and limited space and money has stopped me.
>
> Maybe, I should trade one of the tourers for an Audax bike. Still practical, but a bit faster? Or
> maybe I should go the whole hog....

I'm sure true race bikes feel nice to ride and have an edge in racing, But realistically how much
faster are they? 1, maybe 2 mph, mainly gained by making you sit in a more contorted position.

Oh no ... I have a feeling I am moving away from the "no point buying all that fancy stuff" position
to something altogether more sinister.

W K wrote:

> "I'm sure true race bikes feel nice to ride and have an edge in racing, But realistically how much
> faster are they? 1, maybe 2 mph, mainly gained by making you sit in a more contorted position.
>
> Oh no ... I have a feeling I am moving away from the "no point buying all that fancy stuff"
> position to something altogether more sinister.

Thinking of something a bit lower are we ;-)

John B

>I'm probably getting a Dawes horizon for a Valentine's pressie. I intend to use it as a way in to
>cycling in a semi-serious sort of way. Mostly shortish (20 mile) day rides and similar light
>touring (so I'm told!) sort of stuff.
>
>
>Sue Sadler

emailed & posted...

Should be a nice bike. Enjoy it.

Things to help make cycling even more enjoyable ...

1. Woman specific saddle - we are differently shaped to the men and usually bikes will come with a
man's saddle as standard. A women specific saddle can make cycling fun as opposed to
excruciating.

2. Padded cycling shorts - a must in my book - I wear mine under my leggings whenever I'm on a bike.

With above I can pootle along for hours, take my time - plenty of breaks - energy drinks.

Oh, and 3. Plenty of nice relaxing muscle caring bubble bath for long soak at end of bike ride.

Cheers, and much happy pedalling, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

> Oh, and 3. Plenty of nice relaxing muscle caring bubble bath for long soak at end of bike ride.

Good call. I've found on XC ski holidays that a good stretching session in a sauna or steam room
works even better as a wind down (normally I don't really get on with them, just at the end of
serious exercise), but I've not got one of those handy at home :-(

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

W K wrote:

> Oh no ... I have a feeling I am moving away from the "no point buying all that fancy stuff"
> position to something altogether more sinister.

Give into your backside, young Jedi - wind resistance is futile!

Or is it the Dark Side? Something like that, anyway.

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

In message <[email protected]>, stephen pridgeon
<[email protected]> writes
>Simon Hay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Susan Sadler wrote:
>> > I'm probably getting a Dawes horizon for a Valentine's pressie.
>>
>> Whether it's right for you or not is hard for me to say,
>
>Definately fit slick tyres (28mm is the thinnest that will fit on the rim).
>
This kinda depends on what the poster will use the bike for, if it gets used on poor surfaces such
as many cycles paths then tyres with a certain amount of tread may be better. I prefer 32 mm tyres
on my Tourer.

>My biggest problem with the Horizon is that it hints at the fun to be had from a full-on racer.

If you like that kind of thing maybe, personally I find racing/road bikes uncomfortable, poor range
of gears, no where to carry my luggage.

I much prefer my tourer.

--
Chris French, Leeds

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> stephen pridgeon wrote:
>
> > My biggest problem with the Horizon is that it hints at the fun to be had from a full-on racer.
>
> Wearing a rucksack when you want to take anything anywhere... Not Fun in my book, as I usually
> want to take things somewhere. That's something a tourer does unquestionably better than a racer,
> assuming "something" is bigger than a banana. Also, though you'll find the exact right gear more
> often on flats and downhills on a race bike, the bigger range on a tourer usually makes big, long
> climbs rather nicer if you're not an out and out honker. Which one generally isn't, with luggage!
> And being sprayed with cack because the road's wet and you don't have any mudguards isn't my idea
> of a great time either...
>
> Full on racers are great toys, but they only play one game.
>
> Pete.

And indeed, they are great toys. And they only play one game. But it's a game I like :))

But I wouldn't have known I like it apart from getting the Horizon. And of the hours spent in the
saddle the Horizon has had probably about 100 times more "bum contact time" than the TCR. I only
wanted to warn the OP of what she was getting into.

SteveP

stephen pridgeon wrote:

> And indeed, they are great toys. And they only play one game. But it's a game I like :))

And they play it well, too.

> But I wouldn't have known I like it apart from getting the Horizon. And of the hours spent in the
> saddle the Horizon has had probably about 100 times more "bum contact time" than the TCR. I only
> wanted to warn the OP of what she was getting into.

Not a sure thing though. I ceased to have aspirations for a real racer when I got a real tourer for
practical reasons and found I preferred taking my time a bit more over rides. Wouldn't mind a racer
again now, 15 years later, though it would have to be satanic, of course.

Pete.
--

Dave Kahn wrote:

> You seem to be doing a good job of talking yourself into it. I don't want to influence you but
> deep down you know you really need a no-compromise fully-faired dark side racer.

Not 100% sure about that, but a Speedmachine or Windcheetah with a carbon tail fairing would, I
think, not be something I'd completely resent owning. I certainly wouldn't resent having a bank
balance that would buy one!

In the meantime I'll try and wear out the cassette on the Streetmachine and give myself an excuse to
put a Rohloff on it. That should keep the VISA fairy in work for a bit...

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Not a sure thing though. I ceased to have aspirations for a real racer when I got a real tourer
> for practical reasons and found I preferred taking my time a bit more over rides. Wouldn't mind a
> racer again now, 15 years later, though it would have to be satanic, of course.

You seem to be doing a good job of talking yourself into it. I don't want to influence you but deep
down you know you really need a no-compromise fully-faired dark side racer.

:)

--
Dave...

Status
Not open for further replies.