Dawes Kara-Kum Forks

Oscar Bravo

Guest
I have a 2002 Dawes Kara-Kum. Unfortunately new forks are required, as
the existing ones have been damaged beyond repair. The existing forks
have a 1" steerer but the current models have a 1 1/8" steerer and
therefore don't fit.
Does anyone out there have, or know of anyone who has, a suitable
replacement, which they would be willing to sell?
Yes I have tried numerous Dawes dealers without success.
Yes I have tried Dawes directly, also without success.

in message <[email protected]>, Oscar Bravo
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I have a 2002 Dawes Kara-Kum. Unfortunately new forks are required, as
> the existing ones have been damaged beyond repair. The existing forks
> have a 1" steerer but the current models have a 1 1/8" steerer and
> therefore don't fit.
> Does anyone out there have, or know of anyone who has, a suitable
> replacement, which they would be willing to sell?
> Yes I have tried numerous Dawes dealers without success.
> Yes I have tried Dawes directly, also without success.

Bikes aren't like that.

Your new forks don't have to be Dawes forks. Any fork with a one inch
steerer, designed for the appropriate wheel size and brake type and
either threaded or unthreaded depending on which type the old one was,
will do.

For office use only. Please do not write or type below this line.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> Your new forks don't have to be Dawes forks. Any fork with a one inch
> steerer, designed for the appropriate wheel size and brake type and
> either threaded or unthreaded depending on which type the old one was,
> will do.

Agreed, except also check that....

1. Rake is the same/acceptable.

2. Steer tube is long enough, and enough of it is threaded if using
threaded type, and make sure it's not an ancient Raleigh thread.

3. It has mudguard/rack eyes if wanted.

Local bike shops and St John Street Cycles usually have various 1"
threaded forks and should advise on suitability.

Or you could take the opportunity to convert to threadless if you like.
Just requires new headset (or top half of headset) and stem. Steerers are
easily cut down to size with a junior hacksaw.

~PB

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 18:47:49 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Oscar Bravo
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> I have a 2002 Dawes Kara-Kum. Unfortunately new forks are required, as
>> the existing ones have been damaged beyond repair. The existing forks
>> have a 1" steerer but the current models have a 1 1/8" steerer and
>> therefore don't fit.
>> Does anyone out there have, or know of anyone who has, a suitable
>> replacement, which they would be willing to sell?
>> Yes I have tried numerous Dawes dealers without success.
>> Yes I have tried Dawes directly, also without success.

>Bikes aren't like that.
>
>Your new forks don't have to be Dawes forks. Any fork with a one inch
>steerer, designed for the appropriate wheel size and brake type and
>either threaded or unthreaded depending on which type the old one was,
>will do.

Thank you for your response, alas it is a bit more complicated. Basic
forks have been fitted as a temporary measure but I would prefer
original equipment to keep the bike as standard. The original Dawes
forks had mountings for low rider pannier racks and a mounting for a
disc brake. I have been unable to find any with a 1" steerer, while
similar forks with an 1 1/8" steerer are readily available.