Dawes Kara Kum

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Brian G, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    I'm planning for a Land's End - John o' Groats next year, but none of my
    bikes want to come, so naturally I'll need a new one. I don't use drops
    any more and at 60 I'll be far too young for a recumbent ;-)

    The bike I'm thinking about at the moment is the Dawes Kara Kum. Does
    anyone have experience of this model, good bad or indifferent?
    --
    Brian G

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Brian G wrote:
    > I'm planning for a Land's End - John o' Groats next year, but none of my
    > bikes want to come, so naturally I'll need a new one. I don't use drops
    > any more and at 60 I'll be far too young for a recumbent ;-)

    In which case at 39 I'm far, far too young, but I ride one anyway. And
    I ride one because I just find it more enjoyable covering miles looking
    where I'm going by default with no weight on my arms and shoulders.
    Give it a go before you write it off, if you'll be riding the best part
    of 1000 miles and are getting a bike specially for the job, might as
    well be as comfy as possible...

    > The bike I'm thinking about at the moment is the Dawes Kara Kum. Does
    > anyone have experience of this model, good bad or indifferent?

    None, I'm afraid, though another one to throw into the ring for flat bar
    good quality tourer would be various offerings from Thorn. Folk I know
    with those have been very happy with them.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > Brian G wrote:
    > > I'm planning for a Land's End - John o' Groats next year, but none of my
    > > bikes want to come, so naturally I'll need a new one. I don't use drops
    > > any more and at 60 I'll be far too young for a recumbent ;-)

    > In which case at 39 I'm far, far too young, but I ride one anyway.

    I bought my first one at the advanced age of 25...

    You can't have ham!

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:

    > I bought my first one at the advanced age of 25...

    But we all know it's nothing to do with age. One's
    suitability for a recumbant is the product of two
    factors a) visible body hair and b) aero belly size.

    The higher the better. For the body hair bit, hair
    on head, or lack thereof doesn't count :)

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  5. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm planning for a Land's End - John o' Groats next year, but none of my
    > bikes want to come, so naturally I'll need a new one. I don't use drops
    > any more and at 60 I'll be far too young for a recumbent ;-)
    >
    > The bike I'm thinking about at the moment is the Dawes Kara Kum. Does
    > anyone have experience of this model, good bad or indifferent?
    > --
    > Brian G

    Oi! Some of us have many years to go before we reach 60 and we still ride
    recumbents!
    Cheers, helen s ;-)

  6. Jon is Away!

    Jon is Away! Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    > >
    > > I bought my first one at the advanced age of 25...

    And I built my first, at the equally advanced age of 24... IIRC, memory
    appears to be failing me.

    > But we all know it's nothing to do with age. One's
    > suitability for a recumbant is the product of two
    > factors a) visible body hair and b) aero belly size.

    a) As long as I continue to wear a respectable level of clothing,
    visible body hair is not great an issue (No Helen... no jpegs!)
    b) Steadily increasing due to consumption of French food and lack of
    cycling. I'm loath to reduce the former, so must consider ways to
    increase the latter.

    Jon

  7. John B

    John B Guest

    Brian G wrote:

    > I'm planning for a Land's End - John o' Groats next year, but none of my
    > bikes want to come, so naturally I'll need a new one. I don't use drops
    > any more and at 60 I'll be far too young for a recumbent ;-)

    Hey! I'm younger than you and one reason I got my 'bent was for teh E2E ;-)

    Go for it. It's a brilliant excuse to wave the light sabre.

    John B

  8. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Jon is Away!" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > a) As long as I continue to wear a respectable level of clothing,
    > visible body hair is not great an issue (No Helen... no jpegs!)

    I hereby publicly annopunce I have no photos of Jon, clothed or unclothed
    and I have no idea of his body hair - amount or distribution of...

    Cheers, helen s

    > b) Steadily increasing due to consumption of French food and lack of
    > cycling. I'm loath to reduce the former, so must consider ways to
    > increase the latter.
    >
    > Jon

  9. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > I hereby publicly annopunce I have no photos of Jon, clothed or unclothed
    > and I have no idea of his body hair - amount or distribution of...

    Whereas we all now know that Helen herself shaves regularly ;->

    Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

  10. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > wafflycat wrote:
    >> I hereby publicly annopunce I have no photos of Jon, clothed or unclothed
    >> and I have no idea of his body hair - amount or distribution of...

    > Whereas we all now know that Helen herself shaves regularly ;->

    Indeedee ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  11. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > Brian G wrote:

    >> The bike I'm thinking about at the moment is the Dawes Kara Kum. Does
    >> anyone have experience of this model, good bad or indifferent?

    > None, I'm afraid, though another one to throw into the ring for flat bar
    > good quality tourer would be various offerings from Thorn. Folk I know
    > with those have been very happy with them.

    Thank you. The Thorn Sherpa is certainly on the short list, if rather
    near the pricey end of it!

    --
    Brian G

  12. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

  13. John Redman

    John Redman Guest

    > In which case at 39 I'm far, far too young, but I ride one anyway. And
    > I ride one because I just find it more enjoyable covering miles looking
    > where I'm going by default with no weight on my arms and shoulders.

    If there is no weight on your arms, that means there is more weight than
    needs be on your backside. With an End to End ride, that is going to be
    very uncomfortable. One should aim to have the weight more evenly balanced
    between the three areas of the body that touch the bike, namely feet hands
    and backside.

    John R

  14. Brian G wrote:
    > I'm planning for a Land's End - John o' Groats next year, but none of my
    > bikes want to come, so naturally I'll need a new one. I don't use drops
    > any more and at 60 I'll be far too young for a recumbent ;-)
    >
    > The bike I'm thinking about at the moment is the Dawes Kara Kum. Does
    > anyone have experience of this model, good bad or indifferent?

    I test-rode one before settling for the cheaper Sonoran. It seemed
    light and fast, with a good rack - but then I'm used to riding with a
    minimum of 5kg on the rack.

    I found it a little hard to control steering and braking at the same
    time, probably because I'm used to wider handlebars. If you're used to
    drops it might well be the same as you're used to.

    HTH

    Colin McKenzie

  15. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:52:23 -0000, "John Redman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    ... on recumbents...
    >> I ride one because I just find it more enjoyable covering miles looking
    >> where I'm going by default with no weight on my arms and shoulders.

    >If there is no weight on your arms, that means there is more weight than
    >needs be on your backside. With an End to End ride, that is going to be
    >very uncomfortable.

    On the contrary, most recumbents distribute your body weight through
    much more than just your arse. Mine, for example, is designed so the
    riding position is laid right back as if in a fully reclined LayzBoy
    armchair. Weight is supported from my bum all the way up the spine -
    it's far more comfy, for me at least, than being perched on bum and
    hands.

    "Bob"

  16. Pete Connors

    Pete Connors Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:03:24 +0000, Brian G <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Peter Clinch wrote:
    >> Brian G wrote:

    >>> The bike I'm thinking about at the moment is the Dawes Kara Kum. Does
    >>> anyone have experience of this model, good bad or indifferent?

    >> None, I'm afraid, though another one to throw into the ring for flat bar
    >> good quality tourer would be various offerings from Thorn. Folk I know
    >> with those have been very happy with them.

    >Thank you. The Thorn Sherpa is certainly on the short list, if rather
    >near the pricey end of it!

    A Sherpa carried this 58 yr old 15st (the half I lost has gone back on
    again) along a LEJOG. The reliability was very good; nothing went
    wrong except with my physiology!

    --
    Pete

  17. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > Oi! Some of us have many years to go before we reach 60 and we still
    > ride recumbents!
    > Cheers, helen s ;-)

    Age is a matter of mind. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

    Nothing so vulgar as the number of thy years.

    --
    not me guv

  18. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    John Redman wrote:

    > If there is no weight on your arms, that means there is more weight than
    > needs be on your backside. With an End to End ride, that is going to be
    > very uncomfortable.

    You /really/ haven't thought about that one... The weight isn't all on
    one's bum on a touring recumbent, it's spread the whole way along your
    back as well. With an E2E is will be much /more/ comfortable.

    > One should aim to have the weight more evenly balanced
    > between the three areas of the body that touch the bike, namely feet hands
    > and backside.

    No, one should aim to minimise the total pressure through increasing
    surface area, not simply adding small contact points. The surface area
    I have taking my weight is several times greater than that taking it on
    an upright so the pressure on any one point is considerably less, and
    the areas taking the pressure are used to it and have evolved to take
    it, which can't be said for arms.

    I moved to recumbents from an upright trad tourer with a good Brooks
    saddle (still used on my freight bike). It was, for an upright bike,
    quite a comfortable setup, but nowhere near as good as my recumbent.
    The only place I ever get aches is in my leg muscles after considerable use.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  19. Steve W

    Steve W Guest

    "and at 60 I'll be far too young for a recumbent"

    Dangerous talk!!!!

    SW