Dawes Lightning Tour Shimano 24 Speed Road Bike

On Sep 5, 6:27 pm, jim <[email protected]> wrote:
> Reaction? How can I contact Dawes?

Is that "Dawes" is sold through an eBay/internet source? If so, is an
Asian made bike and shares only the name with the UK firm. Contact the
seller for more info.

FWIW, I've had some 'hands on' with a couple of Asian sourced Dawes
bikes. Inexpensive and good value, IMO.

On Sep 6, 6:49 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 5, 6:27 pm, jim <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Reaction? How can I contact Dawes?

> Is that "Dawes" is sold through an eBay/internet source? If so, is an
> Asian made bike and shares only the name with the UK firm. Contact the
> seller for more info.
>
> FWIW, I've had some 'hands on' with a couple of Asian sourced Dawes
> bikes. Inexpensive and good value, IMO.

I've seen a couple of the "Motobecanes" and "Windsors" in the 'hood
here and had a look. For somebody with wrenching skills and on a
budget, they're fine. I just spent my money at the LBS, as they're new
and sweet--otherwise, I'd probably gone the bikesdirect route.

How were the invisible bits like hubs on that Dawes?

On Sep 6, 11:36 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 6, 6:49 am, Ozark Bicycle
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Sep 5, 6:27 pm, jim <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Reaction? How can I contact Dawes?

> > Is that "Dawes" is sold through an eBay/internet source? If so, is an
> > Asian made bike and shares only the name with the UK firm. Contact the
> > seller for more info.

> > FWIW, I've had some 'hands on' with a couple of Asian sourced Dawes
> > bikes. Inexpensive and good value, IMO.

> I've seen a couple of the "Motobecanes" and "Windsors" in the 'hood
> here and had a look. For somebody with wrenching skills and on a
> budget, they're fine. I just spent my money at the LBS, as they're new
> and sweet--otherwise, I'd probably gone the bikesdirect route.
>
> How were the invisible bits like hubs on that Dawes?

Both Dawes were pretty inexpensive bikes - under $375, IIRC. The hubs
I recall were black, anonymous (or nearly so) with the bearings too
tight. But, hey, these were not high $$$ bikes. The spokes were very
badly undertensioned - no surprise.

Typically, there are one or two "clinkers" in the spec on these bikes.
For example, a 52/42/30 chainwheels with 8SP 12-28 MTB style cogs.
Kinda dumb, but not fatal. Cheap tires, too. But easily remedied.

Oh, yeah, the welds had some ugly spots, so no "show points" for these
bikes. ;-)

Overall, a good deal for someone who has some setup skills, or is
willing to spend $50-75 to have the bike put together professionally.