Dawes Super Galaxy 2000 specification ?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any ideas where I can get information about the specification of a
> Dawes Super Galaxy, 2000 model. Thanks.

After an abortive attempt to date a Super Galaxy frame that I have, I suuget
that a fellow knowledgeable owner would be the best bet. Apparently Dawes
do not keep records.

[email protected] wrote:
> Any ideas where I can get information about the specification of a
> Dawes Super Galaxy, 2000 model. Thanks.

I have a Dawes catalogue that I *think* might be 2000 (maybe 2001 or 02?)
with the specs. Not sure because it has no date printed on/in it (very
bright of Dawes!). Maybe someone will know: dark bluey green cover with a
faint flat landscape picture.

Note that Dawes offered a "Custom Select" service on this model for
customers to choose components from a set of options.

~PB

I have a 200 Super Galaxy, what do you want to know.

John R

John Redman wrote:
> I have a 200 Super Galaxy, what do you want to know.

I didn't know there were that old. Does it have Gladiator wheels ?

( sorry, couldn't resist )

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Im trying to date a Super Galaxy Im looking at buying. Its b.racing
green colour, mavic 221 rims, conti top touring tyres, and 24 speed
setup. Any ideas when Dawes moved from 8 to 9 speed ? The transfers on
bike look identical to a 2000 Galaxy model I used to have, so reckon it
must be 98/99 model if its 24 speed setup ? Any ideas what spec of
Shimano parts I should be looking for to check if all ok on this bike ?

[email protected] wrote:
> Im trying to date a Super Galaxy Im looking at buying. Its b.racing
> green colour, mavic 221 rims, conti top touring tyres, and 24 speed
> setup. Any ideas when Dawes moved from 8 to 9 speed ? The transfers on
> bike look identical to a 2000 Galaxy model I used to have, so reckon
> it must be 98/99 model if its 24 speed setup ? Any ideas what spec of
> Shimano parts I should be looking for to check if all ok on this bike
> ?

I have a 1999 catalogue as well (definitely 99 this one).

99 Super Galaxy standard spec: British Racing Green 531 ST, 27-speed,
mostly LX.

~PB

Ok, thanks for that. Any ideas when Dawes would have used 8 speed setup
- up to what year ? 98/99 I thought, may be wrong. Not sure when
Shimano introduced their 9 speed range. What are my options for
converting bar ends to sti if it is 8 speed setup (have tried Sora
levers, dont really like them much) - suppose to go to Tiagra, will be
lots of trouble/expense - rear mech, cassette, chain, etc etc.

[email protected] wrote:

> Ok, thanks for that. Any ideas when Dawes would have used 8 speed setup
> - up to what year ? 98/99 I thought, may be wrong. Not sure when
> Shimano introduced their 9 speed range. What are my options for
> converting bar ends to sti if it is 8 speed setup (have tried Sora
> levers, dont really like them much) - suppose to go to Tiagra, will be
> lots of trouble/expense - rear mech, cassette, chain, etc etc.

Sora are the only current 8sp model, though 105 and the like might be
available NOS - a bit of trawling around websites, and phone calls to
places like Parker International (they hold old stock that doesn't
always get mentioned on the web pages), could prove fruitful. The other
option, needing a bit of tweaking here and there plus patience, is to
fit 9sp Campag Ergopower levers, which is how I run my road bike
(Campag 9sp mechs & levers but Shimano 8sp cassette, the uppermost
'click' being redundant). They key thing is to put the gear cable on
the "wrong" side of the clamp bolt compared with the manufacturer's
instructions, then adjust cable tension to suit.

David Belcher

[email protected] wrote:
> Ok, thanks for that. Any ideas when Dawes would have used 8 speed
> setup
> - up to what year ? 98/99 I thought, may be wrong.

Maybe 98? (Not 99 for standard spec as I mentioned earlier).

> Not sure when Shimano introduced their 9 speed range.

Nor am I now but that may have been a year or so before Dawes used it.

> What are my options for
> converting bar ends to sti if it is 8 speed setup (have tried Sora
> levers, dont really like them much) - suppose to go to Tiagra, will be
> lots of trouble/expense - rear mech, cassette, chain, etc etc.

Not all that much. Apparently 8 and 9-speed cassettes fit the same
Shimano hubs, 8-speed Shimano mechs index with 9-speed shifters, and
8-speed chairings work with 9-speed chains.

So probably all you'd need is Tiagra STIs, 9-speed cassette and chain.
Not a bad idea to start again with a new chain & cassette on an old bike
anyway, allthough there's a chance the chainrings would need changing too
if they are well worn.

~PB