Dawes Twocan kiddieback tandem

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by chris French, Aug 20, 2005.

  1. chris French

    chris French Guest

    A local bike shop has had a Dawes Twocan kiddie back tandem for sale for
    sometime (as in at least a couple of month).He had it earlier for 500
    quid plus, though said I could have it for GBP500) Noticed today that he
    has it for gBP 400. Wanting to get rid of it guess before the winter.

    Looks tempting, as I'd like to keep DD1 - now 9 months, in the trailer,
    DD2 is now 4 1/2, she will soon be out of the trailer all together and
    she would like to be cycling herself as well now. If we went the trailer
    bike route DD1 would need to go in bike seat.

    I don't know a great deal about tandems, obviously this is the bottom
    end of the market, but it looks sound enough. Needs, mudguards , rack,
    lights etc. doesn't have anything like drag brake which I guess might be
    useful when towing a trailer as well, but then again, will mostly be
    used for utility trips and tootling around the local area. and
    Cambridgeshire (sadly...) is not noted for it's hills, steep or
    otherwise.

    And much as I could like one, spending lots on a more upmarket one isn't
    really an option anyway

    anyone got/had one of them? any comments, or any other comments from
    people experienced in such things
    --
    Chris French

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    chris French wrote:
    > A local bike shop has had a Dawes Twocan kiddie back tandem for sale for
    > sometime (as in at least a couple of month).He had it earlier for 500
    > quid plus, though said I could have it for GBP500) Noticed today that he
    > has it for gBP 400. Wanting to get rid of it guess before the winter.
    >
    > Looks tempting, as I'd like to keep DD1 - now 9 months, in the trailer,
    > DD2 is now 4 1/2, she will soon be out of the trailer all together and
    > she would like to be cycling herself as well now. If we went the trailer
    > bike route DD1 would need to go in bike seat.
    >
    > I don't know a great deal about tandems, obviously this is the bottom
    > end of the market, but it looks sound enough. Needs, mudguards , rack,
    > lights etc. doesn't have anything like drag brake which I guess might be
    > useful when towing a trailer as well, but then again, will mostly be
    > used for utility trips and tootling around the local area. and
    > Cambridgeshire (sadly...) is not noted for it's hills, steep or
    > otherwise.
    >
    > And much as I could like one, spending lots on a more upmarket one isn't
    > really an option anyway
    >
    > anyone got/had one of them? any comments, or any other comments from
    > people experienced in such things

    Get it. You won't regret it at all. I did the cheapskate thing and
    built one which was absolutely a brillaint move. For local utility
    trips the kids prefer it to the car. I just have to stop the middle one
    from shouting 'loser' at all his friends as they walk past with their
    parents.

    At 400 gbp it is good value and a bargain to be had..

    Oh, and in case you missed the point, Buy it. Now!

    ...d

  3. I submit that on or about Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:46:09 +0100, the person
    known to the court as chris French <[email protected]>
    made a statement (<[email protected]> in Your
    Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

    >A local bike shop has had a Dawes Twocan kiddie back tandem for sale for
    >sometime (as in at least a couple of month).He had it earlier for 500
    >quid plus, though said I could have it for GBP500) Noticed today that he
    >has it for gBP 400. Wanting to get rid of it guess before the winter.

    You know you want it! Buy now before it's too late. Tandems are
    absolutely perfect for kids - you can have a proper grown-up bike ride
    (i.e. as far as a reasonable pub) without Tiny becoming exhausted.

    Best of all, for things like school transport, they are much safer
    than small people wobbling around on their own bikes. They also learn
    road sense, because they see how you ride.

    The Toucan is well thought-of, it's not a bad bike at all. Lack of
    drag brake is not an issue for a kiddieback, IMO - we had a dual
    childback triplet for a while and that needed one, the new tandem (a
    Bike Friday) has none and I've not yet felt the need. Even with a
    trailer you'll probably be OK.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  4. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy,
    you know?" <[email protected]> writes
    >I submit that on or about Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:46:09 +0100, the person
    >known to the court as chris French <[email protected]>
    >made a statement (<[email protected]> in Your
    >Honour's bundle) to the following effect:
    >
    >>A local bike shop has had a Dawes Twocan kiddie back tandem for sale for
    >>sometime (as in at least a couple of month).He had it earlier for 500
    >>quid plus, though said I could have it for GBP500) Noticed today that he
    >>has it for gBP 400. Wanting to get rid of it guess before the winter.

    >You know you want it! Buy now before it's too late.

    Well I may well be.

    Discussion with the management have indicated in principle agreement to
    purchase.

    Will of course find out that he sold it today.........
    --
    Chris French

  5. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, chris French
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy,
    >you know?" <[email protected]> writes
    >>I submit that on or about Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:46:09 +0100, the person
    >>known to the court as chris French <[email protected]>
    >>made a statement (<[email protected]> in Your
    >>Honour's bundle) to the following effect:
    >>
    >>>A local bike shop has had a Dawes Twocan kiddie back tandem for sale for
    >>>sometime (as in at least a couple of month).He had it earlier for 500
    >>>quid plus, though said I could have it for GBP500) Noticed today that he
    >>>has it for gBP 400. Wanting to get rid of it guess before the winter.

    >>You know you want it! Buy now before it's too late.

    >Well I may well be.
    >
    >Discussion with the management have indicated in principle agreement to
    >purchase.
    >
    >Will of course find out that he sold it today.........

    Well he hadn't. So swift transaction was done and now we have another
    bike :) (or will have when he delivers it to me next week) He has had
    it in stock since the beginning of the summer it seems so I guess he was
    glad to be shot of it. Didn't want to drop the price anymore,
    unsurprisingly, but did throw in and will fit for me some SKS mudguards,
    so I was happy with that (forgot to say about toe clips though)

    We can't really afford it right now, still recovering for the house
    move. But it was just such a good deal. DD1 is going to love it when she
    see's it :)

    Exciting stuff, it's ages since I got new bike
    --
    Chris French

  6. chris French <[email protected]>typed

    > We can't really afford it right now, still recovering for the house
    > move. But it was just such a good deal. DD1 is going to love it when she
    > see's it :)

    Methinks DD1 will love it more than the Management ;-)

    > Exciting stuff, it's ages since I got new bike

    Yeah, lovely, isn't it?

    Will you post pictures of DD1 on it on a website soon please?

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  7. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah
    Vecht <[email protected]> writes

    >Will you post pictures of DD1 on it on a website soon please?

    As soon as she is on she will be snapped:.

    this is the child who when her sister came home from hospital after
    being born - her first words in response were, can I take a photo of
    her......
    --
    Chris French

  8. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    chris French wrote:
    > In message <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah
    > Vecht <[email protected]> writes
    >

    > >Will you post pictures of DD1 on it on a website soon please?
    > >

    > As soon as she is on she will be snapped:.
    >
    > this is the child who when her sister came home from hospital after
    > being born - her first words in response were, can I take a photo of
    > her......

    Having worked out how much it cost to build Igor (most of which was
    surreptitiously eased through the cracks in the household budget), just
    buying outright seems a good idea. She'll love it, and the management
    will approve, especially when you work out just how much it will save
    in fuel costs..

    ...d

  9. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    David Martin <[email protected]> writes

    >chris French wrote:
    >> In message <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah
    >> Vecht <[email protected]> writes
    >>

    >> >Will you post pictures of DD1 on it on a website soon please?
    >> >

    >> As soon as she is on she will be snapped:.

    And here we are on our first trip today:

    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/tags/tandem/>

    Of course we've already started modifying it. So I've replaced the
    standard stoker bars (same as front) with some old drops, mounted facing
    rearwards which seem more comfortable - shorter reach and not so wide.
    And fitted crank shorteners.

    Needs some toe clips and bit more fiddling.

    Mudguards aren't quite what I was expecting him to fit, but they will do
    for now (though fitted oddly - the front one needs a longer fork crown
    bracket to put them underneath the V brakes rather than over them as he
    has done, needs a rack as well.

    DD1 loved it. We did a nice little 8 miles I guess, other than her feet
    coming off the pedals (clips needed) she was fine. Bike rode fine as
    well

    May try out the trailer as well tomorrow, if I can find the bits to
    attached the Weber coupling

  10. chris French <[email protected]>typed

    > And here we are on our first trip today:

    > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/tags/tandem/>

    Lovely pix!

    Pics of DD2 with tandem look as though they should be in a caption
    competition...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  11. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    chris French wrote:

    > And here we are on our first trip today:
    >
    > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/tags/tandem/>
    >
    > Of course we've already started modifying it. So I've replaced the
    > standard stoker bars (same as front) with some old drops, mounted facing
    > rearwards which seem more comfortable - shorter reach and not so wide.
    > And fitted crank shorteners.
    >
    > Needs some toe clips and bit more fiddling.

    I find toe clips to be very useful. Both the older kids are quite used
    to them now.

    > DD1 loved it. We did a nice little 8 miles I guess, other than her feet
    > coming off the pedals (clips needed) she was fine. Bike rode fine as
    > well

    See - told you so! Is the management happy?

    > May try out the trailer as well tomorrow, if I can find the bits to
    > attached the Weber coupling

    I'd get a new coupling for it, then you can use the trailer on both
    bikes.

    ...d