Dawkins on Kimura

"John Edser" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [...]
> allowed to contest Darwinian selection. This was always
> invalid because the proposition that drift caused
> evolution can be refuted but cannot be verified so it
> cannot validly contest selection which can be both
> verified/refuted.
>
> All Neo Darwinists seem to do is crow about how drift is
> supposed to be able to contest and win against selection.
> They can never prove any such contest even exists let
> alone know who won it! Drift rates should be selected to
> become adjusted to _maximise_ random adaptation. If drift
> rates can only lower adaptation then the drift rate should
> be selected to always be _minimal, i.e. the lowest
> possible rate of sampling error. Since drift rates can and
> do vary, then they are probably not the lowest possible
> rate. Thus drift rates may be varying only because the
> maximal rate of random adaptation that is possible varies
> between gene groups and/or is increasing. It still remains
> heresy to talk about how rates of variation can be
> selected let alone link this to rates of random
> adaptation, because people have misused simplified models
> of what causes drift within evolutionary theory as
> independent theories of causation when they are not.
>
> We separate our experience of nature into perceptual
> patterns and the proposed concepts that cause them. The
> concepts that cause them must be on the table. Different
> concepts are invented to explain the _significant_ (non
> random) patterns that we observe. Non significant patterns
> are all the same: just a random pattern. A random process
> is suggested to cause a random pattern, only. Nobody has
> ever seen a random process they have only perceived a
> random pattern. Concepts are invented to cause the
> patterns that we can observe in nature, (the observed
> patterns are not said to cause the concepts that are used
> to explain them).
>
> JM:- It seems to me that it is the hypothesis - that 70%
> of the differences are caused by NS - that is unrefutable.
>
> JE:- Yes, that is why the 70% random pattern must be
> thrown out as, not significant. The view that the 70% is
> caused by ONLY a random process is also thrown out,
> because it cannot be verified.
>
> JM:- For the defender of this hypothesis only has to point
> out that just because an adaptive explanation of the
> difference has not yet been found, that doesn't mean that
> one won't be found in the future.
>
> JE:- Yes.
>
> JM:- In fact, Maynard Smith, in the third (1975) edition
> of The Theory of Evolution, quoted with approval exactly
> this argument against Kimura. (Which just goes to show -
> the pope ain't infallible!)
>

> JE:- Yes, we cannot know that may be discovered in the
> future, but we can know what epistemology will produce it.
> Allowing random sampling error to become "evolution" is a
> misuse of gene centric, over simplified models.
>
> My apologies for inadvertently deleting the most
> important part of your post. Working at 3am has its

JM:- Apology accepted, though I would point out that even if
you are constrained to work at 3am, that doesn't mean that
you have to respond at 3am of the same day that you receive
a post. Darwin waited 20 years to publish, allowing his
arguments time to gel. Largely as a result, his ultimate
product was a rhetorical masterpiece.

Also, I regret to note that you seem to have dropped your
experiment using a newsreader. Assuming that you did this
because of delays in seeing your replies in print, I beg you
to reconsider. Now, on to substance.

John, I hesitate to say this, but I don't think that you
understand the genius of Popper's epistemology. He
emphasized refutability, rather than verifiability, for a
reason, and your attempt to add verifiability as a second
hurdle to be crossed before entering the "arena" is just out-and-
out wrong.

I fully understand your "random pattern" / "random process"
argument. (So, I believe, does everyone else. It is
blindingly obvious. I suspect that the problem that you have
is that you express your arguments in such ideosyncratic and
eccentric terminology that people like BOH are drawn into
quibbling and disputing with you. I will avoid this trap).
The hypothesis of drift cannot be verified. Full stop.

But the fact that this hypothesis cannot be verified does
not mean that is false. And, since this hypothesis
conceivably MIGHT be true, that means that any rational
collection of epistemological rules cannot rule it out as a
scientific hypothesis. Popper understood this, IMO. That is
one of the reasons why he insisted only on consistency and
refutability as tickets into the arena.

In the language of statistics, drift is a "null hypothesis".
Null hypotheses have a peculiar status in epistemology. They
are, almost by definition, refutable, and hence they are
admitted to the arena. But, they are unverifiable, so how
can they win? The answer may surprise you, but it shouldn't.
A null hypothesis, on entry into the arena, is immediately
and by default enthroned as the reigning champion. It,
unlike other theories, doesn't need to be verified - it only
needs to resist refutation.

What entitles the null hypothesis to this privileged
epistemological status? A principle of epistemology that
long predates Popper - Occam's razor. Null hypotheses are,
by definition, simpler than their challengers. In the
language of statistics, they have fewer degrees of freedom.

Now, in everyday statistical argument, it is usually the
fate of the the null hypothesis to be used as a straw man.
It is set up only to be knocked down. It ain't easy being
null, everyone is always gunning for you. Most null
hypotheses are knocked down quickly. But, occasionally one
resists overthrow for a considerable period. Kimura noticed
that the null hypothesis of drift, while certainly damaged
by the hypothesis of NS, had never been convincingly
overthrown. Hence, he suggested, lets take this particular
null hypothesis seriously. We can never verify it, but we
ought to take its default status on the throne seriously and
admit victory by NS only in those rare cases where it is
undeniable.

Please note, that in Popper's prefered area of study,
physics, null hypotheses frequently stand up to their
challengers. Is the universe overall flat, or is there
curvature? Flat is the null hypothesis, and so far it is
holding up well. Is general relativity right, or one of its
more complicated challengers? While GR cannot be verified to
be superior to its challengers, it can definitely be refuted
by them, but has so far resisted.

I repeat from my original post, John. If you wish to have
epistemologists treated as guardians of scientific
civilization, they have to be fair referees that abide by
the received rules. Those rules specify refutability, not
verifiability, as the ticket for admission to the arena. If
you wish to argue against drift, you cannot do so while
wearing your epistemologists hat. Get out of uniform and
duke it out on the merits, like everyone else.

> LM:- Let's consider the simple case of neutral alleles
> becoming fixed in a population by random genetic drift.
> The rate of substitution (K) of neutral alleles in a
> population is equal to the mutation rate (u).
>
> K = u
>
> Note that the rate of substitution is independent of
> population size. This result has been discussed many times
> on sci.bio.evolution and it's well-described in the
> textbooks.
>
> Let's see what this means for mammals with a genome size
> of 3 billion base pairs per haploid genome. If the
> mutation rate is 10^-9 per base pair in each generation
> then the overall mutation rate per diploid genome is about
> 6 mutations per generation. Thus, in a typical mammalian
> species there are about 6 new alleles becoming fixed in
> the population by random genetic drift every single
> generation.
>
> Is that fast enough for you? How does it compare with the
> overall rate of fixation of alleles under natural
> selection? I assume you know that number or you wouldn't
> have made your claim.

JM:- Larry, while I agree with your result, I must point out
that there is a flaw in its derivation that makes it
somewhat unsuitable in your argument. Your formula K = u is
derived from the assumption that drift is the only mechanism
working, i. e. that NS is unimportant quantitatively. Hence,
you can only conclude that 6 new alleles will become fixed
by ALL mechanisms per generation, but your argument doesn't
address how these 6 are divided among NS and drift.

JE:- This is because it is impossible to divide these 6
among NS and drift! This is simply because drift is just a
random process. The reason why drift cannot validly contest
selection is simply because random variation patterns have
always in the past, are today, and will always in the
future, only form a part of a _testable_ non random process
like selection within the sciences.

Selection can cause evolution without drift but drift cannot
cause evolution without selection. All drift can do without
selection is allow for the dissipation of Darwinian
selectees.

Respectfully,

John Edser Independent Researcher

PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105 Australia

[email protected]

Guy Hoelzer wrote:
> in article [email protected], William
> Morse at [email protected] wrote on 4/3/04 8:02 PM:
>

>>Guy Hoelzer <[email protected]> wrote in
>>news:[email protected]:
>>

>>>in article [email protected], William

> [snip]

>>>I think we agree more than disagree here. My comment
>>>about the default or null explanation applies only to the
>>>context in which drift and selection are assumed to be
>>>independent "forces."
>>
>>I also think we agree more than disagree, and how the heck
>>can we have any fun with that? But to clarify - did you
>>mean "independent" or "competing"? To my mind drift and
>>selection _are_ independent, but they are not _competing_
>>in the sense that competing would imply that the evolution
>>of a trait must be due to one but not the other.
>

> I meant that drift should be treated as the default or
> "null" explanation for the evolution of any in the absence
> of evidence to the contrary, as long as drift and
> selection are treated as mutually exclusive alternatives.
> With regard to allowing for multiple causation, I would
> extend my argument to say that the null explanation should
> be 100% drift and 0% selection. An assertion that
> selection has had effect ought to be backed with evidence,
> although no such requirement should be attached to drift,
> which I assert is universally and unquestionably at play.

Hmm. I think that's a bit of a simplification. I doubt
that drift is very important in barley mildew (Ne =
infinity, to a good approximation). I think claiming that
any allele frequency changes are due to drift will get you
laughed at (well it would do if most mildew biologists
weren't too polite).

I can't see why we have to stick to a single null hypothesis
no matter what the organism or context. Actually, I'm not a
big fan of insisting on null explanations anyway - read
Fisher & Ford 1947 (Heredity 1: 143-174) if you want to see
what will happen.

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara

Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
P.O. Box 4 (Yliopistonkatu 5) FIN-00014 University of
Helsinki Finland Telephone: +358-9-191 23743 Mobile:
+358 50 599 0540 Fax: +358-9-191 22 779 WWW:
http://www.RNI.Helsinki.FI/~boh/ Journal of Negative
Results - EEB: http://www.jnr-eeb.org

"Guy Hoelzer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I meant that drift should be treated as the default or
> "null" explanation for the evolution of any in the absence
> of evidence to the contrary, as
long
> as drift and selection are treated as mutually exclusive
> alternatives.
With
> regard to allowing for multiple causation, I would extend
> my argument to
say
> that the null explanation should be 100% drift and 0%
> selection. An assertion that selection has had effect
> ought to be backed with evidence, although no such
> requirement should be attached to drift, which I assert
is
> universally and unquestionably at play.

<snip>

I feel I can happily align myself with this very basic
philosophical/analytical approach! %-)

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 02:21:25 +0000 (UTC),
Jim Menegay <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

> The hypothesis of drift cannot be verified. Full stop.

The hypothesis of random genetic drift and the hypothesis of
natural selection make definite predictions about the
outcome of allele frequencies over time. Both can be tested
experimentally in the laboratory and in natural populations.
Both hypotheses have been verified. Full stop.

Larry Moran

"r norman" <rsn_@_comcast.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My questions are certainly irrelevant to the original
> question. Whether fixed or not, there are definitely a lot
> of mutant alleles floating around in humans, all either
> absolutely neutral or so close to neutral (such a small
> fitness difference) that you might as well call it
> neutral. And there are certainly enough instances of
> bottlenecks and founding populations in species where
> genetic drift can work much more rapidly.

Genetic drift supplies variation (hence is a special kind of
evolutionary pressure) for natural selection to either prune
in or out. But it seems that few people around here have any
interest in the more than plausible (IMHO) possibility that
individual genomes has evolved means to, in response to
certain types of environmental stressors, hasten its own
mutation rates in regions of DNA most likely to produce a
pay-off in the form of surviving (sufficiently adapted to
survive) offspring.

(Though perhaps not quite in the way or as readily as
Lamarque might have envisioned.)

This is where the nowadays _crude_ "genetic drift" concept
ought to be made to take a back seat and prominance given to
the ideas such as "the histone code" and the view championed
by Lynn H. Caporale (her book "Darwin In The Genome").

> I don't understand why there should be any controversy
> about the fact of drift (Edser's epistemology
> notwithstanding). Just how significant it is in any
> particular situation compared with selection is another
> story where I can understand disagreement.

In this way the "genetic drift concept" can be used as a pseudo-
sophisticated 'screen' for 'AEVASIVE avoidance' of a truly
hot anthropobiological topic (IOW, used amongst a myriad of
other ways of keeping oneself preoccupied or in a habit of
'paying actention' to the effect of precluding the
possibility of achieving a fully science-aligned
philosophically onerous omniscientific overview of, or
outlook and opinion on, ourselves.

Specifically that is: "How CURSES type memories" (also
known, but expressed with a less explicitly precise meaning,
as "primal pain") are put into our brains (or Actention
Selection Systems) especially easily and commonly during
early childhood, the birth process, and the often alarmingly
adverse circumstances immediately after birth.

Also, a thick (very thoroughly "filtering") AEVASIVE mindset
tends also to prevent both a chance to achieve profound self-
regulation (in many cases at least in principle) and at
least some more profoundly effective sociopolitical
regulation than usual.

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 23:49:11 +0000 (UTC),
r norman <rsn_@_comcast.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:10:30 +0000 (UTC),
> [email protected] (Larry Moran) wrote:

[snip]

>>(Note, there are many simplifications in such population
>>genetics models but the basic point is valid. It may take
>>a long time for any one mutation to become fixed but there
>>are so many alleles that the net overall effect of chance
>>processes is quite remarkable. The quoted rate includes
>>mutations in junk DNA - we could adjust for mutations in
>>codong regions genes by dividing by 100.)
>
> All this is true, according to what I can recall of
> population genetics. However the time to fixation is
> enormous for a population of any size. Since the number of
> generations that have occurred in the human species since
> its origin as H. sapiens sapiens is much smaller than the
> (current) population size, wouldn't that mean that
> probably none of the mutations are actually fixed yet? A
> lot of pop gen talks about equilibrium situations but how
> often do populations actually have enough time to reach
> equilibrium?

It's true that it takes a long time to fix an individual
allele by drift if the population size is large and you
start with a new mutation. However, in a typical population
there are many different alleles that are in the process of
becoming fixed or eliminated and the net result is that some
of them reach 100% or 0% every generation.

Furthermore, the effective population size fluctuates over
the long term and it's not appropriate to think only in
terms of present-day sizes. For example, the effective size
of the species **** sapiens was much smaller n the past than
it is now. In addition, most species are subdivided into
numerous smaller populations that are somewhat isolated from
each other and drift can proceed faster in local demes.

There's actually no such thing as long-term equilibrium
except in the rare cases of balancing selection.

> My questions are certainly irrelevant to the original
> question. Whether fixed or not, there are definitely a lot
> of mutant alleles floating around in humans, all either
> absolutely neutral or so close to neutral (such a small
> fitness difference) that you might as well call it
> neutral.

Right, the presence of a large amount of variation in
natural populations is explained by assuming that many
alleles are selectively neutral and their frequency is
determined by random genetic drift. As Futuyma puts it in
his textbook EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY ...

"Thus variation and divergence, once taken to indicate
adaptive evolution, are now viewed as evidence of random
genetic drift. This change represents a major shift in
evolutionary theory, which evolves as new theory and
evidence accrue. But although the once heretical neutral
theory seems to have triumphed, it contains the seeds of
its own potential refutation, for it provides theoretical
criteria for detecting selection. While few deny that
much molecular variation is selectively neutral, evidence
mounts that selection of molecular variants may be fairly
common." (p. 629)

This is an important point. The recognition of random
genetic drift as a major player in evolution has put modern
evolutionary theory on a much more solid footing. It also
provides specific criteria for testing whether specific
alleles are neutral or adaptive. In other words, we can only
develop reliable tests of adaptation once we recognize that
both processes occur. If you deny that there's any such
thing as random genetic drift then it's impossible to
develop a reliable test for real adaptation.

> And there are certainly enough instances of bottlenecks
> and founding populations in species where genetic drift
> can work much more rapidly.

This is also correct and it applies to sub-populations
(demes). Every new species likely arises from a small sub-
population of the ancestral species and the frequency of
alleles in the founding population is very different from
that in the parent. Chance alone will largely determine
which alleles end up in the new species.

> I don't understand why there should be any controversy
> about the fact of drift (Edser's epistemology
> notwithstanding). Just how significant it is in any
> particular situation compared with selection is another
> story where I can understand disagreement.

Like you, I don't understand why anyone in 2004 would deny
the existence of random genetic drift. Edser's argument is
vacuous and can be safely ignored. Others argue that drift
is possible but it's not important. That perspective depends
on your personal interests in evolutionary biology and it's
a value judgement that has no place in scientific
discussions. I'm not very interested in adaptations since
they don't play a very significant role in determining
phylogenetic relationships by comparing sequences. However,
I'd never think of denying the existence of natural
selection just because I'm not interested in it.

Larry Moran

>snip<

JM:- John, I hesitate to say this, but I don't think that
you understand the genius of Popper's epistemology. He
emphasized refutability, rather than verifiability, for a
reason, and your attempt to add verifiability as a second
hurdle to be crossed before entering the "arena" is just out-and-
out wrong.

JE:- I think it remains obvious that unless a theory of
nature can be verified IT HAS NOT BEEN tested. I think that
this fact is so obvious that nobody but myself has bothered
to stress it! Also, if every theory on the table is verified
by all the observed patterns then we have no reason to argue
that they are different ideas. Some ideas appear quite
different but only end up being semantically different.

JM:- I fully understand your "random pattern" / "random
process" argument. (So, I believe, does everyone else. It is
blindingly obvious. I suspect that the problem that you have
is that you express your arguments in such ideosyncratic and
eccentric terminology that people like BOH are drawn into
quibbling and disputing with you. I will avoid this trap).
The hypothesis of drift cannot be verified. Full stop. But
the fact that this hypothesis cannot be verified does not
mean that it is false.

JE:- If "this hypothesis cannot be verified does not mean
that it is false" OR TRUE, i.e. it remains entirely, a NON
TESTABLE supposition. Thus it must be excluded by any
competent umpire. Sometimes the obvious is so obvious,
nobody bothers to understand that they don't understand it.
The umpires job is to understand that this may be the case
and disallow it when it
is.

>snip<

JM:- In the language of statistics, drift is a "null
hypothesis". Null hypotheses have a peculiar status in
epistemology. They are, almost by definition, refutable, and
hence they are admitted to the arena. But, they are
unverifiable, so how can they win? The answer may surprise
you, but it shouldn't. A null hypothesis, on entry into the
arena, is immediately and by default enthroned as the
reigning champion. It, unlike other theories, doesn't need
to be verified - it only needs to resist refutation.

JE:- The null hypothesis is only verified by definition,
i.e. ALL patterns are just _assumed_ verifications of it.
So, all you have to do is find one that is not and you
refute a null hypothesis. This means you cannot know the
view was true, only that it is false. Thus you cannot know
that sampling error causes drift only that it does not do so
when the observed pattern is non random. A non random
pattern is alone _significant_ only because it _can_ be
_verified_, i.e. said to fit a _unique_ theory of nature
(all theories on the table must be unique and predict a
unique set of patterns to be able to validly claim they are
different to each other).

JM:- What entitles the null hypothesis to this privileged
epistemological status? A principle of epistemology that
long predates Popper - Occam's razor. Null hypotheses are,
by definition, simpler than their challengers. In the
language of statistics, they have fewer degrees of freedom.

JE:- They are so "simple" that their truth content cannot
even be verified, just refuted.

A story: Jim enters a car yard to purchase a 2nd hand car. A
salesman with greasy slicked back hair offers Jim a choice
of over a million used cars at knock down prices.
Unfortunately, non of them can viewed. Don't worry says the
grinning salesman, you will know it was not the right car
_after_ you purchased it...

JM:- Now, in everyday statistical argument, it is usually
the fate of the the null hypothesis to be used as a straw
man. It is set up only to be knocked down. It ain't easy
being null, everyone is always gunning for you.

JE:- Being a bit null, it leaves no other choice....

JM:- Most null hypotheses are knocked down quickly. But,
occasionally one resists overthrow for a considerable
period. Kimura noticed that the null hypothesis of drift,
while certainly damaged by the hypothesis of NS, had never
been convincingly overthrown.

JE:- Kimura was right, random variation cannot be
eliminated. Tom Hendricks was right, everything is caused by
energy entering and leaving a system. Eureka! But they are
both a bit null... aren't they ...

>snip<

JM:- Please note, that in Popper's prefered area of study,
physics, null hypotheses frequently stand up to their
challengers. Is the universe overall flat, or is there
curvature? Flat is the null hypothesis, and so far it is
holding up well.

JE:- There is no _understood_ "challenger" to any null
hypothesis, just a hidden absolute opposite of what this
null hypothesis was supposed to represent. If the line is
curved then it isn't straight. We know this. However if you
didn't know it, when the assumption that something was
strait stands non refuted it cannot verify that it was in
fact straight because _understanding_ something was "strait"
_requires_ a full understanding of what an absolute opposite
of it may be. The null hypothesis is employed when we do not
understand what we are talking about but we wish to attempt
test it, anyway. We just suppose that all patterns will fit
it and then look for one that doesn't. A null hypothesis can
only compliment but not replace a "non null", hypothesis.

JM:- Is general relativity right, or one of its more
complicated challengers? While GR cannot be verified to be
superior to its challengers, it can definitely be refuted by
them, but has so far resisted.

JE:- Only GR allows a _testable_ absolute assumption: the
maximal speed of light in a vacuum. None of the others allow
one that can be tested, i.e. verified/ refuted, so the
umpire just boots them out...

JM:- I repeat from my original post, John. If you wish to
have epistemologists treated as guardians of scientific
civilization, they have to be fair referees that abide by
the received rules. Those rules specify refutability, not
verifiability, as the ticket for admission to the arena.

JE:- No Jim, they do not.

Sincerely,

John Edser, Independent Researcher

PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105 Australia

[email protected]

[snip]

in article [email protected], Anon. at
[email protected] wrote on 4/6/04 9:09
AM:

>> I meant that drift should be treated as the default or
>> "null" explanation for the evolution of any in the
>> absence of evidence to the contrary, as long as drift and
>> selection are treated as mutually exclusive alternatives.
>> With regard to allowing for multiple causation, I would
>> extend my argument to say that the null explanation
>> should be 100% drift and 0% selection. An assertion that
>> selection has had effect ought to be backed with
>> evidence, although no such requirement should be attached
>> to drift, which I assert is universally and
>> unquestionably at play.
>>
> Hmm. I think that's a bit of a simplification. I doubt
> that drift is very important in barley mildew (Ne =
> infinity, to a good approximation).

Note that I did not claim that drift was a sufficient or
complete explanation for everything. I said it was the
appropriate null explanation in the absence of evidence to
the contrary, and that it was universally "at play." I don't
think this is a simplification at all.

> I think claiming that any allele frequency changes are due
> to drift will get you laughed at (well it would do if most
> mildew biologists weren't too polite).

While getting laughed at would not be pleasant for me, I
think it would be far more damaging to the scientific
credibility of mildew biologists. I don't know any
personally, but you make them sound like an unthinking lot.

> I can't see why we have to stick to a single null
> hypothesis no matter what the organism or context.
> Actually, I'm not a big fan of insisting on null
> explanations anyway - read Fisher & Ford 1947 (Heredity 1:
> 143-174) if you want to see what will happen.

What will happen is the development of a far more critical
and heuristically useful study of the role of selection in
evolution. Selectionists everywhere already owe a great debt
to Gould, Lewontin, and Kimura for this reason (IMHO).

Guy

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:09:20 +0000 (UTC), "Peter F."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"r norman" <rsn_@_comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> My questions are certainly irrelevant to the original
>> question. Whether fixed or not, there are definitely a
>> lot of mutant alleles floating around in humans, all
>> either absolutely neutral or so close to neutral (such a
>> small fitness difference) that you might as well call it
>> neutral. And there are certainly enough instances of
>> bottlenecks and founding populations in species where
>> genetic drift can work much more rapidly.
>
>Genetic drift supplies variation (hence is a special kind
>of evolutionary pressure) for natural selection to either
>prune in or out. But it seems that few people around here
>have any interest in the more than plausible (IMHO)
>possibility that individual genomes has evolved means to,
>hasten its own mutation rates in regions of DNA most likely
>to produce a pay-off in the form of surviving (sufficiently
>adapted to survive) offspring.
>
>(Though perhaps not quite in the way or as readily as
>Lamarque might have envisioned.)
>
>This is where the nowadays _crude_ "genetic drift" concept
>ought to be made to take a back seat and prominance given
>to the ideas such as "the histone code" and the view
>championed by Lynn H. Caporale (her book "Darwin In The
>Genome").
>

>> I don't understand why there should be any controversy
>> about the fact of drift (Edser's epistemology
>> notwithstanding). Just how significant it is in any
>> particular situation compared with selection is another
>> story where I can understand disagreement.
>
>In this way the "genetic drift concept" can be used as a
>pseudo-sophisticated 'screen' for 'AEVASIVE avoidance' of a
>truly hot anthropobiological topic (IOW, used amongst a
>myriad of other ways of keeping oneself preoccupied or in a
>habit of 'paying actention' to the effect of precluding the
>possibility of achieving a fully science-aligned
>philosophically onerous omniscientific overview of, or
>outlook and opinion on, ourselves.
>
>Specifically that is: "How CURSES type memories" (also
>known, but expressed with a less explicitly precise
>meaning, as "primal pain") are put into our brains (or
>Actention Selection Systems) especially easily and commonly
>during early childhood, the birth process, and the often
>alarmingly adverse circumstances immediately after birth.
>
>Also, a thick (very thoroughly "filtering") AEVASIVE
>mindset tends also to prevent both a chance to achieve
>profound self-regulation (in many cases at least in
>principle) and at least some more profoundly effective
>sociopolitical regulation than usual.

Apparently, there is a technical meaning to the
terms"AEVASIVE" and "CURSES" that is somehow relevant to
this response. Unfortunately these terms lie completely
outside my experience. A google search reveals that AEVASIVE
and the combination AEVASIVE and CURSES seem to be limited
in use to news group postings and have no validity in the
real world of science, biology, or evolution (supposedly the
topic of this group). Furthermore, a password is needed to
view the posts where these terms are used.

The term CURSES alone, of course, is a different story. Many
years ago I wrote a "curses" display library to format
output screens in C language programs. I am also familiar
with a variety of oaths, both sacred and profane that go by
this name. The variety of meanings precludes a google search
on this keyword.

Then, again, AEVASIVE might simply be the Australian
spelling for taking avoidance active, but then why the upper
case spelling?

JM:-
> The hypothesis of drift cannot be verified. Full stop.

LM:- The hypothesis of random genetic drift and the
hypothesis of natural selection make definite predictions
about the outcome of allele frequencies over time. Both
can be tested experimentally in the laboratory and in
natural populations. Both hypotheses have been verified.
Full stop.

JE:- This is where you hit an ivory tower wall with Moran et
al so you have no choice but to call in an epistemological
referee. Because both hypothesis are verified together it is
impossible to suggest which one was causative. Most Neo
Darwinists will invoke Post Modernism, delete cause and
effect and effectively shoot the referee, granting
themselves a blank cheque to say and do anything they want
in the name of "science", i.e. IMHO they resort to
intellectual thuggery in order to protect their tribal
affiliations.

Regards,

John Edser Independent Researcher

PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105 Australia

[email protected]

> > JE:- Reading Darwin is one of the best ways to observe a
> > genius actually doing science.

> JW:- There's a difference bewteen citing other people
> because you are using their ideas (which is a Good Thing
> too) and citing others because you are using their work to
> support your own ideas, which is what Darwin
> did. But citing others' work to support a claim is neither
> appeal to authority nor something that bars it from
> being research. If it happens those folk are the
> leading researchers in a field, then *not* citing
> them is evidence of a lack of knowledge on your own
> part.

> JE:- OK

> JW:- If they are themselves a general review of a topic,
> then one assumes *they* have cited the relevant
> authorities, and it *still* isn't an appeal to authority.
> Which none of my logical texts even *calls* a fallacy, by
> the way (if it is an appeal to *illicit* authority, then
> it's a fallacy called "of Irrational Evidence" by Boyce
> Gibson).

> JE:- An appeal to authority is false if that authority
> is only based on a non testable theory or the theory
> the authority holds stands refuted. Also, if an
> authority attempts to evade refutation of a testable
> theory it holds or discriminates against a testable
> theory it does not hold, then it proves itself to be an
> irresponsible authority which must hinder the evolution
> of scientific ideas.

JW:- Then the fallacy is ad hominem, appeal to illicit
evidence, amphiboly or one of a number of other fallacies.
Appealing to authorities is not, in itself, fallacious.
And, as it happens, it is a necessary aspect of science of
*any* kind.

JE:- OK. Why not be more explicit? An "appeal to authority"
is valid, if and only if, that authority remains based on a
testable theory, i.e. a theory of nature that could be
refuted but isn't and is also able to provide a confirmed
verification that no other theory on the table can provide.
Within gene centric Neo Darwinism this is not the case but
it is the case within organism centric Darwinism. Thus,
Darwinism remains today's evolutionary authority and today's
Neo Darwinism.

> JW:- As to Darwin's work - he could never have done what
> he did without the work and expertise of others. You have
> only to read his letters, or his appeals in such places as
> the Gardener's Chronicle for evidence and the experience
> of seasoned breeders or cilvitators. He corresponded with
> folk from around the world, in India, America, South
> America, South Africa, and the Antipodes. Even his ex-
> butler in Sydney got the job of collecting Australian
> specimens. Darwin cited people like De Candolle, Buffon,
> Owen, von Baer, Kölreuter, Gärtner, and a host of others.
> It's on nearly every page of the Origin.

> JE:- OK. I will just add (by repeat) that: Darwin's view
> of natural selection could not cite anyone simply because
> he independently invented it. Darwin did use some results
> of other peoples research but the results of his own
> research were sufficient.

JW:- Oh for heavens' sakes, John. Of *course* Darwin cited
others - he cited Malthus, in particular, as the source of
the inspiration, but he *never* did *any* experiments on
natural selection. None.

JE:- I have never denied that "Darwin cited others".
Obviously, none of us are an intellectual island. However,
it was not so much that these others contributed but what
Darwin creatively did with
it. Where the famed Owen only saw fixed species because of
religious bias Darwin saw non separated variants. Why?
Because Darwin was only a naive naturalist (a rank
amateur) as far as Owen was concerned. It was Huxley
that had to take on the likes of Owen et al who given
the chance, would have happily used their "authority" to
crush Darwin. Darwin preferred to avoid such demeaning
tribal politics and just concentrate on the science.

Where Malthus could only see death and destruction Darwin
saw natural selection. Mathus, Owen and Darwin all "saw" the
same things as perceptual patterns but not as concepts
(processes that may have caused these patterns). Malthus and
Owen passed on their perceptions to Darwin but not,
thankfully, their concepts. Darwin created his own concepts,
which unlike theirs, were rigorous i.e. testable against
nature. So did Mendel before Darwin and many others. You
only have two choices: dictate what nature is or provide
contestable theories of what nature might be and throw out
the poorer view/views via the Popperian process of
refutation. Science can only deal with the latter.
Authority, misused, imposes the former. When status and
power are concerned uncivilised men are psychologically
driven to use any means possible to maintain
iu. Such behaviour remains predictable from basic
evolutionary theory.

Because of the nature of natural selection (competition by
default and not by intent), experiments on it are very
difficult to do even today. Artificial selection is NOT the
same process but can achieve a similar result. However, NS
can be observed and _measured_ within nature. Science is
mostly about many different _interpretations_ of the same
documented observations where all these interpretations must
be rigorous and be able to contest each other.

JW:- He did experiments on *artificial* selection, on
dispersal by seed, on earthworm activity, on plant tropism
and carnivorism. But nothing on natural selection.

JE:- What experiments on natural selection would you suggest
he could have done at that time, that he did not do?

JW:- Moreover, nearly all the evidence he adduces to support
natural selection is based on or directly the work or
observation of others, although he does, of course, cite his
own experiences during the Beagle voyage. Without that
external support, nobody would have taken his hypothesis
seriously.

JE:- Yes "Without that external support, nobody would have
taken his hypothesis seriously" e.g. Wallace. This does not
mean that Darwin was right or wrong it, just means tribal
based prejudice predictably, remains endemic and can only
be removed by the prerequisite of testability , i.e.
scientific ideas must be able to be verified/refuted or
they are not admitted.

Respectfully,

John Edser Independent Researcher

PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105 Australia

[email protected]

"Anon." <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Guy Hoelzer wrote:

>> I meant that drift should be treated as the default or
>> "null" explanation for the evolution of any in the
>> absence of evidence to the contrary, as long as drift and
>> selection are treated as mutually exclusive alternatives.
>> With regard to allowing for multiple causation, I would
>> extend my argument to say that the null explanation
>> should be 100% drift and 0% selection. An assertion that
>> selection has had effect ought to be backed with
>> evidence, although no such requirement should be attached
>> to drift, which I assert is universally and
>> unquestionably at play.

> Hmm. I think that's a bit of a simplification. I doubt
> that drift is very important in barley mildew (Ne =
> infinity, to a good approximation). I think claiming that
> any allele frequency changes are due to drift will get you
> laughed at (well it would do if most mildew biologists
> weren't too polite).

> I can't see why we have to stick to a single null
> hypothesis no matter what the organism or context.
> Actually, I'm not a big fan of insisting on null
> explanations anyway - read Fisher & Ford 1947 (Heredity 1:
> 143-174) if you want to see what will happen.

I agree with Bob. The whole point of my original jumping
in on this furshlugginer thread was that we can do better
than insisting on either drift or selection as a null
hypothesis, since we know that drift and selection are not
in fact mutually exclusive, but we also know that the
expected magnitude of their effects on allele frequencies
in a given population is strongly dependent on effective
population size, as Bob noted. There is no need to
"assert" that drift is universally at play - it _has_ to
be given the mechanism of genetics. But given the fact of
excess reproduction and the same mechanism of genetics,
selection is _also_ inevitable. Thus the only evidence
needed to assert that selection has had effect is that
there is excess reproduction. You would have to deny that
statistics describes the real world in order to argue that
either does not occur, and Bob would probably get really
mad if you did that :)

I would rant on, but Larry Moran in his recent follow
already did a much better job than I can of summarizing the
drift/selection debate. Unfortunately the odds of his
convincing those who refuse to accept drift as significant
appear to be exactly the same as my odds of moving the
debate past the either-one-or-the-other-but-not-both stage,
namely slim and none.

Yours,

Bill Morse

Jim's post mentioned Popper - and said:

``He emphasized refutability, rather than verifiability.''

In such a context - and using such terminology - it might be
better to describe a phenomena as "not refuted" rather than
as "verified".
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove
lock to reply.

[email protected] (Larry Moran) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 02:21:25 +0000 (UTC), Jim Menegay
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > The hypothesis of drift cannot be verified. Full stop.
>
> The hypothesis of random genetic drift and the
> hypothesis of natural selection make definite
> predictions about the outcome of allele frequencies over
> time. Both can be tested experimentally in the
> laboratory and in natural populations. Both hypotheses
> have been verified. Full stop.

John's argument, as I understand it, is that an unknown
deterministic process could conceivably make the same
predictions as the hypothesis of drift. He may well be right
about this. Therefore, it seems tactically correct to me to
concede his point, but then to point out the philosophical
and epistemological silliness of his argument.

The evidence that you cite fully convinces me that drift is
taking place, but, by its very nature, it can never
convince John.

John Edser <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > JE:- Reading Darwin is one of the best ways to observe
> > > a genius actually doing science.
>
> > JW:- There's a difference bewteen citing other people
> > because you are using their ideas (which is a Good Thing
> > too) and citing others because you are using their work
> > to support your own ideas, which is what Darwin
> > did. But citing others' work to support a claim is
> > neither appeal to authority nor something that bars
> > it from being research. If it happens those folk
> > are the leading researchers in a field, then *not*
> > citing them is evidence of a lack of knowledge on
> > your own part.
>
> > JE:- OK
>
> > JW:- If they are themselves a general review of a topic,
> > then one assumes *they* have cited the relevant
> > authorities, and it *still* isn't an appeal to
> > authority. Which none of my logical texts even *calls* a
> > fallacy, by the way (if it is an appeal to *illicit*
> > authority, then it's a fallacy called "of Irrational
> > Evidence" by Boyce Gibson).
>
> > JE:- An appeal to authority is false if that authority
> > is only based on a non testable theory or the theory the
> > authority holds stands refuted. Also, if an authority
> > attempts to evade refutation of a testable theory it
> > holds or discriminates against a testable theory it does
> > not hold, then it proves itself to be an irresponsible
> > authority which must hinder the evolution of scientific
> > ideas.
>
> JW:- Then the fallacy is ad hominem, appeal to illicit
> evidence, amphiboly or one of a number of other fallacies.
> Appealing to authorities is not, in itself, fallacious.
> And, as it happens, it is a necessary aspect of science of
> *any* kind.
>
> JE:- OK. Why not be more explicit? An "appeal to
> authority" is valid, if and only if, that authority
> remains based on a testable theory, i.e. a theory of
> nature that could be refuted but isn't and is also able to
> provide a confirmed verification that no other theory on
> the table can provide.

Appeals to [legitimate] authority can include also reliable
reports (observations and data sets), experimental outcomes,
analyses that exceed the capacity of the individual citing
them (if R. A. Fisher analysed your work, you'd tend to
defer), and so forth. Theory is often not directly or even
indirectly involved.

> Within gene centric Neo Darwinism this is not the case but
> it is the case within organism centric Darwinism. Thus,
> Darwinism remains today's evolutionary authority and
> today's Neo Darwinism.

I can't parse this.

> > JW:- As to Darwin's work - he could never have done what
> > he did without the work and expertise of others. You
> > have only to read his letters, or his appeals in such
> > places as the Gardener's Chronicle for evidence and the
> > experience of seasoned breeders or cilvitators. He
> > corresponded with folk from around the world, in India,
> > America, South America, South Africa, and the Antipodes.
> > Even his ex-butler in Sydney got the job of collecting
> > Australian specimens. Darwin cited people like De
> > Candolle, Buffon, Owen, von Baer, Kölreuter, Gärtner,
> > and a host of others. It's on nearly every page of the
> > Origin.
>
> > JE:- OK. I will just add (by repeat) that: Darwin's view
> > of natural selection could not cite anyone simply
> > because he independently invented it. Darwin did use
> > some results of other peoples research but the results
> > of his own research were sufficient.
>
> JW:- Oh for heavens' sakes, John. Of *course* Darwin cited
> others - he cited Malthus, in particular, as the source of
> the inspiration, but he *never* did *any* experiments on
> natural selection. None.
>
> JE:- I have never denied that "Darwin cited others".
> Obviously, none of us are an intellectual island. However,
> it was not so much that these others contributed but what
> Darwin creatively did with
> it. Where the famed Owen only saw fixed species because of
> religious bias Darwin saw non separated variants. Why?
> Because Darwin was only a naive naturalist (a rank
> amateur) as far as Owen was concerned. It was Huxley
> that had to take on the likes of Owen et al who given
> the chance, would have happily used their "authority"
> to crush Darwin. Darwin preferred to avoid such
> demeaning tribal politics and just concentrate on the
> science.

Owen actually tended towards species transitional forms,
and was working on an evolutionary accoutn when Darwin went
public. And Owen also afforded Darwin professional
standing. History is more complicated than simple moral
tales permits. Huxley used Darwin to establish his own
professional standing in Owen's own territory, and so
crystallised Owen against Darwin. Had Huxley not been
convinced (and as a transcendentalist he was more likely on
a naive reading to reject Darwin than Owen), Owen would
have become Darwin's main defender in all probability. As
it was, he tried to take credit for many of Darwin's ideas
in an early [anonymous - nobody said he was a *nice* man]
review of the Origin.

And variant forms of species were commonplace from 1840
onwars. Henrui Milne Edwards and Alphonse de Candolle both
stressed subspecific variation, and several continental
ornithologists did too. The "species question" as it was
then called focused on whether there was, in fact, warrant
for the Cuvierian notion that species were logical classes
"in the mind of God".

> Where Malthus could only see death and destruction

This is also false. Malthus thought that economic selection
would generate fitter individuals (in the pre-Fisherian
sense of "fit").

> Darwin saw natural selection. Mathus, Owen and Darwin all
> "saw" the same things as perceptual patterns but not as
> concepts (processes that may have caused these patterns).
> Malthus and Owen passed on their perceptions to Darwin but
> not, thankfully, their concepts. Darwin created his own
> concepts, which unlike theirs, were rigorous i.e. testable
> against nature. So did Mendel before Darwin and many
> others. You only have two choices: dictate what nature is
> or provide contestable theories of what nature might be
> and throw out the poorer view/views via the Popperian
> process of refutation. Science can only deal with the
> latter. Authority, misused, imposes the former. When
> status and power are concerned uncivilised men are
> psychologically driven to use any means possible to
> maintain
> it. Such behaviour remains predictable from basic
> evolutionary theory.

This is vastly overstated and oversimplified. For a start,
you have not got the right interpretations of Malthus (see
the introduction by Anthony Flew to the Penguin edition),
Owen or Darwin. And I address your account of Popper
(someone's, anyway) in my other post today.

> Because of the nature of natural selection (competition by
> default and not by intent), experiments on it are very
> difficult to do even today. Artificial selection is NOT
> the same process but can achieve a similar result.
> However, NS can be observed and _measured_ within nature.
> Science is mostly about many different _interpretations_
> of the same documented observations where all these
> interpretations must be rigorous and be able to contest
> each other.

I partly agree.

> JW:- He did experiments on *artificial* selection, on
> dispersal by seed, on earthworm activity, on plant tropism
> and carnivorism. But nothing on natural selection.
>
> JE:- What experiments on natural selection would you
> suggest he could have done at that time, that he did not
> do?
>
> JW:- Moreover, nearly all the evidence he adduces to
> support natural selection is based on or directly the work
> or observation of others, although he does, of course,
> cite his own experiences during the Beagle voyage. Without
> that external support, nobody would have taken his
> hypothesis seriously.
>
> JE:- Yes "Without that external support, nobody would have
> taken his hypothesis seriously" e.g. Wallace. This does
> not mean that Darwin was right or wrong it, just means
> tribal based prejudice predictably, remains endemic and
> can only be removed by the prerequisite of testability ,
> i.e. scientific ideas must be able to be verified/refuted
> or they are not admitted.

And again, I partly agree. But you had better get the
history right if you want to mount a historical argument.
Don't rely on textbook histories. They are like flowers,
designed to propagate ideas, not support them, and like
flowers they often mislead the pollinators.

--
John Wilkins [email protected]
http://www.wilkins.id.au "Men mark it when they hit, but do

> I can't see why we have to stick to a single null hypothesis no matter
> what the organism or context. Actually, I'm not a big fan of
> insisting on null explanations anyway - read Fisher & Ford 1947
> (Heredity 1: 143-174) if you want to see what will happen.

BM:- I agree with Bob. The whole point of my original
jumping in on this furshlugginer thread was that we can do
better than insisting on either drift or selection as a null
hypothesis, since we know that drift and selection are not
in fact mutually exclusive,..

JE:- Why will nobody even discuss the fact that __rates of
genetic drift can be selected? Why has almost the entire Neo
Darwinian emphasis been on drift contesting and not
complimenting selection?

BM:- ...but we also know that the expected magnitude of
their effects on allele frequencies in a given population is
strongly dependent on effective population size, as Bob
noted. There is no need to "assert" that drift is
universally at play - it _has_ to be given the mechanism of
genetics. But given the fact of excess reproduction and the
same mechanism of genetics, selection is _also_ inevitable.
Thus the only evidence needed to assert that selection has
had effect is that there is excess reproduction.

JE:- What is the BIG difference between selection and drift?
Selection is a fully veritable and refutable theory but
drift is only a refutable null hypothesis.

BM:- You would have to deny that statistics describes the
real world in order to argue that either does not occur, and
Bob would probably get really mad if you did that :)

JE:- It is false to imply that selection depends on
statistics because only drift, does.

>snip<

John Edser Independent Researcher

PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105 Australia

[email protected]

> > The hypothesis of drift cannot be verified. Full stop.

> LM:- The hypothesis of random genetic drift and the
> hypothesis of natural selection make definite
> predictions about the outcome of allele frequencies
> over time. Both can be tested experimentally in the
> laboratory and in natural populations. Both hypotheses
> have been verified. Full stop.

JM:- John's argument, as I understand it, is that an unknown
deterministic process could conceivably make the same
predictions as the hypothesis of drift. He may well be right
about this. Therefore, it seems tactically correct to me to
concede his point, but then to point out the philosophical
and epistemological silliness of his argument. The evidence
that you cite fully convinces me that drift is taking place,
but, by its very nature, it can never convince John.

JE:- Well, sbe is still waiting? Where exactly did you
"point out the philosophical and epistemological silliness
of his argument" within this reply?

You have confused pattern with process. We agree that not
all patterns can be classified as non random patterns. We
also agree that drift patterns exist but fit this criteria,
i.e. drift patterns are all classified as random patterns.
What is under dispute is what exactly causes that pattern. I
cannot agree that only a random process causes the observed
random drift pattern because "an unknown deterministic
process could conceivably make the same predictions as the
hypothesis of drift". Confusing pattern with process is
happening all the time within this thread, unfortunately.

Regards,

John Edser wrote:
> JM:-
>
>>The hypothesis of drift cannot be verified. Full stop.
>

> LM:- The hypothesis of random genetic drift and the
> hypothesis of natural selection make definite
> predictions about the outcome of allele frequencies
> over time. Both can be tested experimentally in the
> laboratory and in natural populations. Both hypotheses
> have been verified. Full stop.
>
> JE:- This is where you hit an ivory tower wall with Moran
> et al so you have no choice but to call in an
> epistemological referee. Because both hypothesis are
> verified together it is impossible to suggest which one
> was causative. Most Neo Darwinists will invoke Post
> Modernism, delete cause and effect and effectively shoot
> the referee, granting themselves a blank cheque to say and
> do anything they want in the name of "science", i.e. IMHO
> they resort to intellectual thuggery in order to protect
> their tribal affiliations.

I rathr think that, unlike you, professional biologists are
aware of the possibility of multiple causation. Stop full.

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara

Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
P.O. Box 4 (Yliopistonkatu 5) FIN-00014 University of
Helsinki Finland Telephone: +358-9-191 23743 Mobile:
+358 50 599 0540 Fax: +358-9-191 22 779 WWW:
http://www.RNI.Helsinki.FI/~boh/ Journal of Negative
Results - EEB: http://www.jnr-eeb.org

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:09:20 +0000 (UTC),
John Edser <[email protected]> wrote:
>JM wrote,
>>Larry Moran wrote,

>>> Let's consider the simple case of neutral alleles
>>> becoming fixed in a population by random genetic drift.
>>> The rate of substitution (K) of neutral alleles in a
>>> population is equal to the mutation rate (u).
>>>
>>> K = u
>>>
>>> Note that the rate of substitution is independent of
>>> population size. This result has been discussed many
>>> times on sci.bio.evolution and it's well-described in
>>> the textbooks.
>>>
>>> Let's see what this means for mammals with a genome size
>>> of 3 billion base pairs per haploid genome. If the
>>> mutation rate is 10^-9 per base pair in each generation
>>> then the overall mutation rate per diploid genome is
>>> about 6 mutations per generation. Thus, in a typical
>>> mammalian species there are about 6 new alleles becoming
>>> fixed in the population by random genetic drift every
>>> single generation.
>>>
>>> Is that fast enough for you? How does it compare with
>>> the overall rate of fixation of alleles under natural
>>> selection? I assume you know that number or you wouldn't
>>> have made your claim.
>>
>> Larry, while I agree with your result, I must point out
>> that there is a flaw in its derivation that makes it
>> somewhat unsuitable in your argument. Your formula K = u
>> is derived from the assumption that drift is the only
>> mechanism working, i. e. that NS is unimportant
>> quantitatively. Hence, you can only conclude that 6 new
>> alleles will become fixed by ALL mechanisms per
>> generation, but your argument doesn't address how these 6
>> are divided among NS and drift.

You're right. I was simplifying. The mutation rate refers
to the rate for neutral (or nearly neutral) mutations. When
dealing with a mammalian genome this value is almost
equivalent to the overall mutation rate. It's reasonable to
assume that all six mutations are neutral but perhaps it
would be a bit more accurate to say that 5/6 are
effectively neutral.

For smaller genomes the ratio of neutral to deleterious
mutations is much lower and there are fewer mutations so the
number of neutral alleles added to the population each
generation is smaller.

But I made another simplification that's much more serious
and I'm surprised that nobody pointed it out. The actual
mutation rate per generation is really the number of
mutations arising in each new individual that's born. In the
case of mammals this number is much higher than the one I
quoted. The mutation rate of 10^-9 per base pair is the rate
for each replication of the genome. In single-cell species
this is equivalent to the mutation rate per generation but
in multicellular species it's more complicated.

Each mammalian zygote is the product of a fusion between
sperm and egg. Egg cells result from about 30 cell divisions
per generation in females
(i.e. the number of cell divisions between the zygote and
the final egg cell). Thus, each egg cell accumulates
about 3 x 30 = 90 mutations per generation. In males
the number of cell divisions isn't clear but it is
probably >100. Thus, the haploid genome of each sperm
cell carries about 3 x 100 = 300 mutations. Combining
these numbers means that each zygote has about 390 new
mutations and that's the number that's contributed by
each individual to the population each generation.
(Note that males cause more mutations than females!)

This value is often discussed in reference to the "genetic
load" of populations. If a large percentage of those
mutations were deleterious then the genetic load on the
population would be prohibitive. This is one of the reasons
why we think that so much of the DNA is junk and mutations
in junk DNA are neutral. The fact that most mutations are
neutral also comes up in discussions about Muller's ratchet
and Haldane's "dilemma."

> This is because it is impossible to divide these 6 among
> NS and drift! This is simply because drift is just a
> random process. The reason why drift cannot validly
> contest selection is simply because random variation
> patterns have always in the past, are today, and will
> always in the future, only form a part of a _testable_ non
> random process like selection within the sciences.

The mutations are neutral, deleterious, or beneficial. It's
quite possible to estimate the relative frequency of each
type from known data. All three types are subject to random
genetic drift but only the deleterious and beneficial
mutations are affected by natural selection.

> Selection can cause evolution without drift but drift
> cannot cause evolution without selection. All drift can do
> without selection is allow for the dissipation of
> Darwinian selectees.

Most evolution at the level of the gene is due to random
genetic drift and not natural selection. In real populations
it's impossible for natural selection to operate in the
absence of random genetic drift. This is why most beneficial
alleles are eliminated from the population before they can
become fixed and it's why some deleterious alleles become
fixed in spite of the fact that they are associated with
negative fitness. Any change in the frequency of a neutral
allele cannot possibly be due to natural selection acting on
that allele.

Larry Moran