Dawkins on Kimura

Larry Moran <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
> John W Edser <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Larry Moran wrote,

> > In a theory you have to prove an allele is ONLY neutral.
> > How do you do this?
>
> The easiest way is to check a large sample of a population
> to see if two alleles are in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium.
> Did you not know that?

It can be very difficult to show an allele has no
selective effect.

The difference between a neutral allele and one with a small
selective effect may be significant in the long term, but
may fail to be statistically significant in the population
from which you sample.

The difficulty in finding neutral genes grows with the
population size.

In small populations, "nearly neutral" is often close enough
for drift to produce good predictions - but in large
populations, selection has a longer time in which to act,
and more individuals to select between - so very small
selective differences can be magnified - and may become
significant in the long term.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove
lock to reply.

Anon. <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
> Tim Tyler wrote:
> > Anon. <[email protected]> wrote or
> > quoted:

> >>We've thought about it, and some have even bee into the
> >>field and sampled midlew. It's diverse, and there's a
> >>lot of it about, so Ne=infinity is a good
> >>approximation. [...]
> >
> > Is there any mildew on islands anywhere?
>
> Yes - the Orkneys. It gets there from Scotland.
>
> > It seems like drift could produce effects there - which
> > could then re-invade the ancestral population.
>
> Difficult - it would be like a drop in the ocean. The
> mainland population is just too big.

...but *possible* - if the new strain had got off the local
maxima the large population was stuck on (via drift or
selection caused by the conditions on the island) - and had
then climbed up a higher peak.

Under those circumstances, it would wipe out the ancestral
population - through having a greater fitness than it.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove
lock to reply.

"r norman" <rsn_@_comcast.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:38:54 +0000 (UTC), Tim Tyler
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >r norman <rsn_@_comcast.net> wrote or quoted:
> >
> >> Apparently, there is a technical meaning to the
> >> terms"AEVASIVE" and "CURSES" that is somehow relevant
> >> to this response. Unfortunately these terms lie
> >> completely outside my experience.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >> Then, again, AEVASIVE might simply be the Australian
> >> spelling for taking avoidance active, but then why the
> >> upper case spelling?
> >
> >They are Peter's acronyms. A quick guide to Peter's
> >"concEPTs":
> >
> >AEVASIVE: Ambi-advantageously Evolved Vital Actention
> >System Incorporating Various Endoopiates;
> >
> >*****: Specific Hibernation Imploring Type Situations;
> >
> >CURSES: Conditioned-in Unconsciously Remembered Stressors
> >Effecting Symptoms;

> Thank you. That, of course, completely clears things up.

And thank you Tyler!

Since you, Norman, are an unusually competent and versatile
contributor to biology related newsgroups you _might_ like
to taste or "take a bite out of" (even swallow and digest if
you feel so inclined) this, follow-up.

Hibernation did not only provide a H suitable for my SEPTIC-
humored acronym-assembling purpose.

Luckily (from my side of looking at it) it can also be seen
to have a meaning with a (for my purpose) suitably far-
reaching sweep.

That is, - starting from the "standard end" of the entire
stretch of sober and science-aligned relevant associations -
the word (hibernation) ordinarily implies that an entire
animal instinctually (no need for learning) prepares or
retreats into a protected place, ceases to be active, and
saves its stores of vital energy by using (a part of) its
brain to trigger (entering into) a 'global' (in brainbodily
sense) state of very slow/low metabolic rate - and that
animals that hibernate (or aestivate for this matter) does
so during times when it is caught-up in a climatically harsh
- hard-to-survive because of a seasonal freeze (or draught)
conditions in its environment.

[If only as a warm-up exercise in EPT thinking, these kinds
of environmental conditions/influences can be considered a
subset of the "adversity type pressures" category of the
"Evolutionary Pressure Totality". The other side of this
didactic (or tactical) division is "opportunity type
pressure". Without any detailed attempt to define and
justify this division, I will just mention that: In order to
make this classification ('sEPTalization') work with
comforting consistency, also when applied as close-up as a
conceptual lense for looking at representative samples of
life-histories or animal individuals (from conception to
coffin), the "pondering perspective" must be individuals of
the same species or with closely similar phenotype. This
since what is primarily an adversity type life-situational
challenge to an individual of one preyed upon species may be
an opportunity type challenge/pressure to an individual
predator, *obviously*. %-]

By placing "specific", alt. "selective" or "synaptic" (or
any other sufficiently suitable word starting with an S) in
front of "Hibernation", I managed to construct (inspired, as
I was, by having become impressed, somewhere in the late
sixties to early seventies of the last century, by the
nuclear arms-race-shaming acronym for "mutually assured
destruction" - "MAD" ;-)) - and also to accEPT by
deliberately adopting and applying a Tolerance Principled
attitude - an acronym expression that to me indicated a
closely related although very most locally and compactly
neurochemically confined cause of a commensurately very most
precisely behaviour-canceling, locally metabolism-lowering,
and correspondingly "selective unconsciousness" producing,
self-regulatory effect _possible_.

[Immediately above I was using a defintion of
"consciousness/unconsciousness" arrived at by extremely
simple but perfectly science-aligned 'Efficient Pragmatic
Thinking'. May be you could give it a try - one day? ;-)]

The acronym AEVASIVE - also a loosely lingual and elastic
concept - consists of two main parts:

1. The first-placed one is a pragmatic (no more than
accEPTable) expression represented by AE.

The A stands for "ambi-advantageous".

This concEPT [I write it with those three letters in upper-
case to teasingly signify/warn you that it belongs to the
'errudite pragmatic terminology' that I contrived :)] was
invented to be an as efficient as possible pointer to the
frequently occurring life-situations - largely throughout
phylogeny - that can be described as: consisting of the
overlap between, or concurrency of, "*****" - a type of
"adversity type selection pressures" and "opportunity type
evolutionary pressures" (OTEP).

There are environmental "Opportunity type evolutionary
pressures" (OTEP) and there are intrinsic OTEP (as there are
environmental and intrinsic ATSP). At the gene level, OTEP
can be seen to be produced by the same fundamentally
probabilistic (some prefer to call it stochastic) patterning
process that produces "genetic drift" type variation.

Pre-adaptations constrain what new phenotype patterns
intrinsic OTEP can propose or try 'place' (from Platonic
existence in configuration space) into 'real existence' - to
be pioneered by an individual with a new mutant phenotype.
However any such proposal has to be matched by enought of an
environmental OTEP into which it may be adaptively placed or
'reproductively absorbed'.

The very fundamental physical-chemical potentiality that
only some kinds of (primordial) molecules can replicate
under a certain range/set of environmental conditions is a
starting point for OTEPs of the biological era of
"Evolution" (the enlarged E indicating that it is here meant
as a more encompassing phenomenon than just the evolution of
the species).

------
On a trivial note: You may have tagged-on to that a topmost
EPT (Evolutionary Pressure Totality) category (OTEP) is
juxtaposed with a somewhat dialectically opposed
_sub_category (*****) of EPT. About this observation I say
so what! I do since there are only an irrelevant neatness or
artificial symmetry seeking reason for why not to juxtapose
***** (come CURSES) type Adversity Type Selective Pressures
(~ATSP), with OTEP. Also, the 'acronymic' asymmetry between
these two topmost categories of "Evolutionary Pressure
Totality", reflects that "adversity type selective
pressures" stands for a destructive or pruning-out type of
interaction (and impending potential interactions) that only
have a meaning in context of emergent, and pattern
constructing/complexifying/in parallel preserving,
Opportunity Type Evolutionary Pressures (including ditto
Potentials and Propensities).
-------

The broadly defined kinds of selection pressures that I call
***** tend to become reinforced by a 'secondary' such
pressure - in form of the accumulation of CURSES.

I.e., a ***** normally inevitably cause "a CURSES" that in
turn effects an as if "insidious continuation of that
specific ***** even though the individual _is no longer
in it_. %-}

Because ***** put CURSES in the brains of the individuals of
protohuman populations, CURSES was also likely to have
become a significant _contributory_ selection pressure at
and around the times when our ancestral protohuman
generations emerged with new AEVASIVE capacities that
eventually naturally compiled to be far beyond the AEVASIVE
abilites of our primate cousins.

IOW: The ability of the our lineage to lie to ourselves has
grown roughly apace with our technological prowess. %-]
----------------
-----------------------
(This has lead me to describe something of what the second
part of AEVASIVE stands for.)

2. The second part represents an overview of how brains are
structured and function to make us how we are.

The V-word was a necessary fill-in Vital is an accEPTable
choice but so e.g. "Veritable" or "Verifiable".

I typically managed to find a SEPTIC-humored alternative to
writing "brain" or "nervous system".

What I concEPTualized (by much "error plagued trials" ;-) to
follow next has a meaning that more than covers what it is
used to replace.

I call it the "Actention Selection System" (or ASS for
short).

But, for use right in the middle of AEVASIVE, it is was
necessary to shorten it to "Actention System".

What I am aiming to covers with the second part are _the
fact_ that what is in on our minds and what we are doing (or
what we at any one time we pay "actention" to) is the
fluently and transiently focused result of every relevant
kind of "pressure" - from selection/evolutionary pressures
in our phylogeny to motivational pressures caused by _both_
our current and past (including very earliest) personal life-
time environment.

[Am deliberately leaving out any mention of gamete-affecting
"imprinting" - relevant to insight into the "histone code" -
in order to avoid unnecessary risque of provoking a
philosophical overload or something to that effect.;->]

And, out of our past personal experiences, I have singled-
out the kind of co-motivational (actention co-selecting)
"pressure" that I recognize to be the least commonly
accounted for in analyses of the human condition
(behaviours, diseases, cultures, and whatnot).

I am again talking about CURSES.

[Along exactly the same spookily allusive line, but with a
more extensively acronym-implied explanatory meaning, is,
e.g., CCKHHURSSEES - for Conditioned-in Chronically Kept
Hibernated Hence Unconsciously Remembered *****-type
Stressors, Effecting EVASIVE (sorry to have to drop the A
:-> and other) Symptoms.]

CURSES is essentially synonymous with what Janov has termed
"primal pain" or "Pain".

John W Edser <[email protected]> wrote:

> PostA13
> > > JW:- Oh for heavens' sakes, John. Of *course* Darwin
> > > cited others - he cited Malthus, in particular, as the
> > > source of the inspiration, but he *never* did *any*
> > > experiments on natural selection. None.
>
> > > JE:- I have never denied that "Darwin cited others".
> > > Obviously, none of us are an intellectual island.
> > > However, it was not so much that these others
> > > contributed but what Darwin creatively did with
> > > it. Where the famed Owen only saw fixed species
> > > because of religious bias Darwin saw non separated
> > > variants. Why? Because Darwin was only a naive
> > > naturalist (a rank amateur) as far as Owen was
> > > concerned. It was Huxley that had to take on the
> > > likes of Owen et al who given the chance, would
> > > have happily used their "authority" to crush
> > > Darwin. Darwin preferred to avoid such demeaning
> > > tribal politics and just concentrate on the
> > > science.
>
> > JW:- Owen actually tended towards species transitional
> > forms, and was working on an evolutionary accoutn when
> > Darwin went public. And Owen also afforded Darwin
> > professional standing. History is more complicated than
> > simple moral tales permits. Huxley used Darwin to
> > establish his own professional standing in Owen's own
> > territory, and so crystallised Owen against Darwin. Had
> > Huxley not been convinced (and as a transcendentalist he
> > was more likely on a naive reading to reject Darwin than
> > Owen), Owen would have become Darwin's main defender in
> > all probability. As it was, he tried to take credit for
> > many of Darwin's ideas in an early [anonymous - nobody
> > said he was a *nice* man] review of the Origin.
>
> JE:- I acknowledge your historical supremicy on this
> subject. However, the principles of what I said still
> stand. Darwin left the politics to the politicians while
> he got on with the science. Owen and Huxley were more
> politicians than scientsists.

David Hull has argued well that Darwin played a very canny
political game from the 1840s onwards, both in establishing
his credentials and connections, and then encouraging other
scientists like Huxley, Hooker, Henslow, Lubbock, Tyndall,
Romanes, Lankester and so on.

> > JW:- And variant forms of species were commonplace from
> > 1840 onwars. Henrui Milne Edwards and Alphonse de
> > Candolle both stressed subspecific variation, and
> > several continental ornithologists did too. The "species
> > question" as it was then called focused on whether there
> > was, in fact, warrant for the Cuvierian notion that
> > species were logical classes "in the mind of God".
>
> JE:- Varients were seen by those that had eyes to see them
> but were not interpreted as varients between species but
> within species. The same percept was regarded in an
> OPPOSING theory of causation using Darwin's concept of
> variation. Before Darwin, sepecies were absolute
> assumptions. After Darwin they became relative
> assumptions. Most of the worlds population is still
> reeling from this simple revelation.

Darwin did not see variants as "between species" either. And
I have documented that species were not absolute at any time
as far back as you like to go. That species were immutable
in abstract was only held for a short time, and not even
then by everyone (Buffon, for example, treated species as
local geographical variants of a "premier stock" at the same
time Linnaeus was allowing that new species could be formed
by hybridisation). This is a myth.

> > > JE:- Where Malthus could only see death and
> > > destruction
>
> > JW:- This is also false. Malthus thought that economic
> > selection would generate fitter individuals (in the pre-
> > Fisherian sense of "fit").
>
> JE:- Yes, and Herbert Spencer agreed so after Muller the
> fascist racist right had to have WW2 as a "natural"
> Darwinian act, according to ******. Malthus could not
> differentiate competition by default from competition
> intent but Darwin could. This difference was massive.

This is either total rubbish, founded on a complete
misunderstanding of Malthus (have you ever actually read
him?) or it is a total non sequitur. For a start, ******'s
"justifications" had nothing whatsoever to do with
Spencerian laisser faire. Then we have this:

"Elevated as man is above all the other animals by his
intellectual faculties, it is not to be supposed that the
physical laws to which he is subjected should be essentially
different from those which are observed to prevail in other
parts of animated nature." and so on. This is from the
"Summary View of the Principle fo Population", but if you
read him throughout he supposes that intent is irrelevant
(in fact, he criticises the Poor Laws because they have the
opposite effect to their intent, of causing an increase in
population, and thus setting up a worse crash later).

Malthusian economic assumed that the outcomes occurred due
to some fundamental laws of resource availability and use,
and that reproduction followed on from this. He was the
mediate source of Darwin's idea of natural selection by
competition for scarce resources. Darwin himself says so in
the Autobiography.

> > > Darwin saw natural selection. Mathus, Owen and Darwin
> > > all "saw" the same things as perceptual patterns but
> > > not as concepts (processes that may have caused these
> > > patterns). Malthus and Owen passed on their
> > > perceptions to Darwin but not, thankfully, their
> > > concepts. Darwin created his own concepts, which
> > > unlike theirs, were rigorous i.e. testable against
> > > nature. So did Mendel before Darwin and many others.
> > > You only have two choices: dictate what nature is or
> > > provide contestable theories of what nature might be
> > > and throw out the poorer view/views via the Popperian
> > > process of refutation. Science can only deal with the
> > > latter. Authority, misused, imposes the former. When
> > > status and power are concerned uncivilised men are
> > > psychologically driven to use any means possible to
> > > maintain
> > > it. Such behaviour remains predictable from basic
> > > evolutionary theory.
>
> > JW:- This is vastly overstated and oversimplified.
>
> JE:- OK That is all the room I have ... Please make
> specific criticisms to save verbiage.

Darwin's conceptions had precursors. Owen and Malthus were
different to what you claimed (as I have argued in detail).
Popperian refutation fails to apply to actual science.
Authority applies in science.

> >snip<
>
> > > JW:- He did experiments on *artificial* selection, on
> > > dispersal by seed, on earthworm activity, on plant
> > > tropism and carnivorism. But nothing on natural
> > > selection.
>
> > > JE:- What experiments on natural selection would you
> > > suggest he could have done at that time, that he did
> > > not do?
>
> JE:- No answer?

No, the issue is what experiments on natural selection he
*did* do. You claimed he had. What were they?

> > > JW:- Moreover, nearly all the evidence he adduces to
> > > support natural selection is based on or directly the
> > > work or observation of others, although he does, of
> > > course, cite his own experiences during the Beagle
> > > voyage. Without that external support, nobody would
> > > have taken his hypothesis seriously.
>
> > > JE:- Yes "Without that external support, nobody would
> > > have taken his hypothesis seriously" e.g. Wallace.
> > > This does not mean that Darwin was right or wrong it,
> > > just means tribal based prejudice predictably, remains
> > > endemic and can only be removed by the prerequisite of
> > > testability , i.e. scientific ideas must be able to be
> > > verified/refuted or they are not admitted.
>
> > JW:- And again, I partly agree. But you had better get
> > the history right if you want to mount a historical
> > argument. Don't rely on textbook histories. They are
> > like flowers, designed to propagate ideas, not support
> > them, and like flowers they often mislead the
> > pollinators.
>
> JE:- Like everything else history is open to
> interpretation. What matters to me is the process that
> allows this.
>
> Do you agree that: "scientific ideas must be able to be
> verified/refuted or they are not admitted" ?

As a matter of history, this is false. Science admits all
kinds of unverifiable and unfalsifiable ideas. As a matter
of prescription, I don't know - a strategy that works in one
case may not work in another. Science is justified post hoc.

We are now getting well beyond the aegis of s.b.e - I
suggest we adjourn this discussion except where it remains a
matter of evolutionary biology and its actual history.
--
John Wilkins [email protected]
http://www.wilkins.id.au "Men mark it when they hit, but do

"John Wilkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > >CURSES: Conditioned-in Unconsciously Remembered
> > >Stressors Effecting Symptoms;
> >
> > Thank you. That, of course, completely clears things up.
>
> Yes, but what it clears up is Peter's penchant for
> meaningless acronyms.

It could just be that you are doing some wishy-washy wishful
AEVASIVE thinking, of an inEPT kind. ;-)

in article [email protected], Tim Tyler at [email protected]
wrote on 4/9/04 9:08 AM:

> Larry Moran <[email protected]> wrote
> or quoted:
>> John W Edser <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Larry Moran wrote,
>
>>> In a theory you have to prove an allele is ONLY neutral.
>>> How do you do this?
>>
>> The easiest way is to check a large sample of a
>> population to see if two alleles are in Hardy-Weinberg
>> equilibrium. Did you not know that?
>
> It can be very difficult to show an allele has no
> selective effect.
>
> The difference between a neutral allele and one with a
> small selective effect may be significant in the long
> term, but may fail to be statistically significant in the
> population from which you sample.
>
> The difficulty in finding neutral genes grows with the
> population size.
>
> In small populations, "nearly neutral" is often close
> enough for drift to produce good predictions - but in
> large populations, selection has a longer time in which to
> act, and more individuals to select between - so very
> small selective differences can be magnified - and may
> become significant in the long term.

Note that while selection has its way in larger populations
with greater certainty, it also acts more slowly in larger
populations. That is, a large population under selection is
more likely to evolve in adaptive directions, but it takes
them longer to achieve adaptation than it does in smaller
populations. Does anyone know how this trade-off in the
effects of selection influences the net efficacy of
selection?

I tend to side with Sewall Wright who argued that the
combination of drift and selection is a more potent
situation for adaptive evolution than selection alone.

Guy

in article [email protected], William Morse at

> Guy Hoelzer <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> in article [email protected], William
>> Morse at [email protected] wrote on 4/7/04 9:41 PM:
>>
>>> Guy Hoelzer <[email protected]> wrote in
>>> news:[email protected]:

>>> Bob also noted that heritable variation is necessary,
>>> but I believe that the actual mechanisms involved in
>>> reproduction do make heritable variation inevitable. To
>>> be more precise, the mechanisms guarantee that variation
>>> exists and is heritable (let me just note that if this
>>> were not true drift as we know it would not occur).
>>> Perhaps the mechanisms don't _guarantee_ that the
>>> variation affects fitness. But for the variation not to
>>> affect fitness would require the walking of a "neutral
>>> tightrope" - variation could only affect non-coding DNA,
>>> amino acid sequences away from the binding site, etc.
>>> Obviously much variation is in fact neutral, but
>>> certainly not all. So your argument appears to be not
>>> that selection won't occur, but that it will not result
>>> in evolution, because it will only diminish variation
>>> for fitness.
>
>> No. This is not my argument at all. I do think that
>> natural selection is a real process and that it is an
>> important path to biological adaptation. However, I am
>> trying to make the argument that drift happens
>> continuously and always, selection happens only
>> sporadically and under special conditions. Fisher's
>> fundamental theorem makes the point that selection is self-
>> extinguishing even under the conditions that induce this
>> process.
>
> And my point is that selection doesn't stop, it is only
> that under some (perhaps many) circumstances it keeps
> selecting the same thing. That may mean that you will only
> _see_ it sporadically, but it doesn't mean it is not
> occurring. If you offer me a choice between a and b over
> and over, and I choose b over and over without fail, does
> that mean no choice is being made?

I agree that stabilizing selection is a form of selection,
and probably the most common form of selection at this point
in time. [I suspect that directional selection was more
prominent in the earliest stages of life on earth, and
perhaps following mass extinctions.] However, even
stabilizing selection does not manifest when there is no
heritable variation for fitness. The most compelling
argument I know of supporting your claim that selection
doesn't stop is the general form of the Hamilton/Zuk model
of host/parasite coevolution, which they constructed to
underpin the Good Genes process of epigamic trait evolution.
The basic point is also effectively captured by the Red
Queen hypothesis. In a coevolutionary context, the biotic
environment continuously and rapidly changes in response to
evolution of the focal species, which would tend to maintain
at least some heritable variation for fitness. This argument
convinces me to concede that selection may not stop in
regard to traits involved in social or interspecific
interactions when interacting partners are entrained in a
coevolutionary network. Outside of this context, I remain
skeptical.

>> Speaking of maximization, I don't follow your reasoning
>> in asserting that there must exist a maximum fitness
>> value if selection is to generically diminish heritable
>> variation for fitness. I don't think that Fisher made
>> this assumption.
>
> I may well be wrong, but my intuition is that if you have
> a range of values in a population (fitness) x1..xn, and
> you have a function (selection) about which the only
> thing you know is that it will increase the value, i.e.
> f(x) > x, you cannot state that the range f(x1).. f(xn)
> will be less than the range x1..xn unless there is an
> upper bound on f
> (xn).

Hmmm. I don't have a direct response, but this framework
does not seem right for the concept of fitness for which
values only have meaning in relation to other fitness values
in the population. In other words, despite JE's constant
assertions to the contrary, fitness is only sensible as a
relative measure. If I tell you, for example, that I know of
an individual that gave birth to 1000 offspring, you would
not be able to tell me whether that individual had high or
low fitness. Even if I told you that all of

couldn't tell me whether her fitness was high or low. Even
if I told you that all 1000 offspring successfully
reproduced themselves, you wouldn't know enough. Of course,
I set up this thought experiment to imply that this mother
had high fitness; but this would be a false impression if
the average individual in the same population had 1000000
reproductively active offspring.

Guy

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 16:08:01 +0000 (UTC),
John W Edser <[email protected]> wrote:
>Larry Moran wrote,

>>> In a theory you have to prove an allele is ONLY neutral.
>>> How do you do this?
>
>> The easiest way is to check a large sample of a
>> population to see if two alleles are in Hardy-Weinberg
>> equilibrium. Did you not know that?
>
> Yes I did. Did you know that the Hardy-Weinberg
> equilibrium requires an infinite population for such a
> proof and only indicates a random distribution i.e. a
> verified random PATTERN if such a proof ever existed?

No, I did not know that. I suggest you write a letter to the
editors of the major scientific journals and explain this to
them. They seem to be under the impression that a Hardy-
Weinberg distribution in real populations is evidence that
an allele is not affecting fitness. At least that how it
seems to me. These editors are constantly accepting papers
that make such statements.

> Assuming you did have an infinite population and had
> proven the allele distribution pattern was indeed neutal,
> what type of PROCESS can validly be suggested to have
> caused this pattern?

The process by which neutral alleles *change* in frequency
in a population is called random genetic drift. Have you
heard of it?

> I note that you just snipped the meat of my post
> which concerns the critical difference between a
> model and a theory.

I did. I'm not interested in your strange philosophy and it
has no relevance to sci.bio.evolution.

[snip]

>>> Mr Moran simply evaded my proposition, _entirely_. Since
>>> it is you and not me that insists that just a random
>>> drift process can contest an win against selection then
>>> it is you and not me that must answer this question:
>>> ___________________________________________
>>> Can drift without selection cause evolution because
>>> selection without drift definitely can?
>>>
>>> PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION
>>> ___________________________________________
>
>> The answer is yes.
>
> Thank you for answering the question.

You're welcome. It's probably the fifth time that I've
answered your question but I understand that you have to
hear things many times before they start to sink in.

> How would you set up a real life experiment (not just a
> thought experiment) to test your proposition?

You start by accepting the standard minimal definition of
evolution - change in the frequency of alleles in a
population.

Then you create a neutral allele; for example, a base
substitution in the defunct coding region of a pseudogene in
some green algae. Insert the mutation into a cell. Grow the
culture until you have lots and lots of green algae carrying
the mutation.

Dump 1000 litres of this culture into ten different small
lakes that have a thriving population of the green algae
(i.e. lots of individuals with the original wild-type
allele). Sample the algae in each lake every year for 10-20
years to see if the frequency of alleles in the population
is changing.

Larry Moran

Guy Hoelzer <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:

> Note that while selection has its way in larger
> populations with greater certainty, it also acts more
> slowly in larger populations. That is, a large population
> under selection is more likely to evolve in adaptive
> directions, but it takes them longer to achieve adaptation
> than it does in smaller populations. Does anyone know how
> this trade-off in the effects of selection influences the
> net efficacy of selection?

If there's anything interesting to say about this effect
(besides some quantification) it seems likely to be in the
dynamics of how rapidly and completely diseaese resistance
genes spread in populations of different sizes.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove
lock to reply.

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 16:08:07 +0000 (UTC), "Peter F."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"r norman" <rsn_@_comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:38:54 +0000 (UTC), Tim Tyler
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >[...]
>> >
>> >They are Peter's acronyms. A quick guide to Peter's
>> >"concEPTs":
>> >
>> >AEVASIVE: Ambi-advantageously Evolved Vital Actention
>> >System Incorporating Various Endoopiates;
>> >
>> >*****: Specific Hibernation Imploring Type Situations;
>> >
>> >CURSES: Conditioned-in Unconsciously Remembered
>> >Stressors Effecting Symptoms;
>
>> Thank you. That, of course, completely clears things up.
>
>And thank you Tyler!
>
>Since you, Norman, are an unusually competent and versatile
>contributor to biology related newsgroups you _might_ like
>to taste or "take a bite out of" (even swallow and digest
>if you feel so inclined) this, follow-up.
>
>Hibernation did not only provide a H suitable for my SEPTIC-
>humored acronym-assembling purpose.
>
>Luckily (from my side of looking at it) it can also be seen
>to have a meaning with a (for my purpose) suitably far-
>reaching sweep.

<snip a couple hundred more lines>

You know, after reading this type of thing even John Edser's
stuff sounds lucid!

PostA21

> > > JM:- Nature is free to choose its laws so that some of
> > > them may be
> > unverifiable.

> > JE:- Yes, but you can't ever _know_ that this is the
> > case, that is my point.

> [snip]

> JM:- There is very little that you can _know_ unless you
> are a God.

JE:- The reason why the above does not apply to the sciences
is because what you say you know must be able to be able to
be verified/refuted by an _independent_ observer. This will
be possible because a testable absolute assumption that
takes the form of a constant or a maximum/minimum value that
can be measured within nature exists within the theory. Your
supposition that "nature is free to choose its laws so that
some of them may be unverifiable" may or may not be true.
The point is, science cannot test and thus know such a
proposition to be true or false. Thus a referee has no
choice but to throw it out as non scientific, irrespective
of some peoples emotional attachments or its political
acceptance/value.

> JM:- However, you can have well justified beliefs, and
> one of the best justifications for belief is repeated
> survival in the face of serious attempts at refutation.
> That is my point.

JE:- Science does not deal directly with any belief. In a
free society you can believe anything you like but you have
no right to force any beliefs onto others. Science takes
beliefs and distils them down into testable theory. Beliefs
can only inspire a quest for a testable theory to represent
them within a scientific arena. Belief as inspiration is
very important but can be misused when attempts are made to
force beliefs into any scientific arena. Indeed, beliefs can
easily overcome reason via the emotion attached to them,
especially when tribal politics enters a discussion. This
can lead to the shooting of a referee who rules against
them, (just as Dr Moran suggested he would prefer, even if
his suggestion was only in jest). As a belief enters the
arena, the entire structure just collapses around it leaving
no other dispute resolution process other than violence.
Nature will evolve an idea by either making these ideas
contest in a rational arena or the people that believe them,
fight and die for them on a bloody battlefield. Nature does
not care which, but we have to if we wish to remain
civilised.

> JM:- John, I am embarrassed to admit that I am disputing
> with you here, and I don't properly understand your
> position.

JE:- Why should you be? Any civilised person agrees to
disagree within however, the arena of testable ideas.
However here our dispute runs deep because it contests the
validity of the arena itself. You wish to admit views that
can be refuted but not verified into a scientific arena. I
insist that you cannot. What I am arguing here is that you
have not realised that when you "admit" a non verifiable
view into the arena no theory actually entered. Only a
dressmaker's dummy with sword and shield entered in its
place. The theory stayed safely outside. Only when the dummy
is trounced can you know that it was just a dummy, i.e. when
it stands refuted. The idea, whatever it was, always remains
safely _outside_. Thus we can never now that it was true,
only that it was false. You cannot know what process causes
an observed random drift pattern only what process did _not
_cause it. Such a view is useful, if and only if, it remains
just a _hypothesis_. A hypothesis is not a theory. I cannot
stress this point enough. Just like the biologist creates
categories of living forms epistemologies create categories
of ideas. Theories, models and hypothesis are not equivalent
terms. An example of contesting hypothesis are the views
that evolution happens in fast jumps or is gradual. Both
hypothesis exist as a part of the one, same Darwinian theory
of evolution. A hypothesis is like a body part, e.g. an arm.
If you cut off an arm the body can still live and function
but the arm cannot live and function without the body. Thus
the _null hypothesis_ is not a _null theory_. No such animal
as a null theory exists. A null hypothesis only verifies
something by default when it stands non refuted This is the
theory of which it is just a part . The drift dummy that was
sent into the arena as just a null hypothesis was in fact
Darwinian random variation all dressed up with its own sword
and shield. An arm of Darwinian theory was cut off and sown
onto this dummy which had a sword (refutation) and shield
(logical self consistency) and made to defend itself. A now
wounded theory must wait bleeding outside because it has
become non testable without its right arm of "variation",
Note that this can be either temporal or non temporal. My
point is simply, heritable variation remains an essential
_part_ of Darwin's original theory (exactly as Darwin wrote
it). The part "random variation"cannot produce evolution in
its own right. It requires the complete Darwinian body: his
entire theory of evolution by natural selection.

A simplified model of a hypothesis of random variation
cannot contest NS (the testable theory it is just a part of)
for very obvious reasons. An arm cannot contest and win
against its own body such that only the arm wins and the
body loses (is refuted) allowing just an arm to now become
elevated to being a body in its own right. However, this is
exactly what gene centric Neo Darwinism has been suggesting
when it elevated drift as just a model hypothesis that can
only exist within a null hypothesis, to become a valid
theory of "evolution" independent of and contestable to, NS.

> JM:-
> 1. Any claim that both drift and NS are occurring is
> absurd.

JE:- Not "absurd" just "non testable", i.e. if both are
happening then drift has not been separated from NS as
causative. Drift, as a random _pattern _ (not a random
process) _can_ be _verified_ to happen all of the time in
nature. What is under dispute here is, can just the random
process, "sampling error", _alone_ be validly assumed to
have caused this observed random _pattern_? It cannot. Non
random _patterns_ of gene freq. change which define
evolution are also observed all of the time. However, they
can only be testably explained by Darwinian theory where
heritable random or non random variation is assumed. Here,
selection acts on a pool of heritable variation which can be
either temporal and non temporal. Thus "both drift and NS
are occurring" as patterns all of the time in nature. The
problem is to separate out what can cause what. The fact is,
drift cannot be separated from selection but selection can
be separated from drift.

We can test what causes NS but be cannot test as to what
exactly, causes drift. This does not matter because drift
was only a null _hypothesis_ but NS constitutes a testable
_theory_ of nature of which the drift null hypothesis was
just a part. Note that the testability of NS is not changed
if assumed random variation stands refuted , i.e. becomes
non random, e.g. the verification of meiotic drive genes as
non random meiosis.

> JM:- I'm not sure whether we are disputing the meaning of
> words, deep issues of philosophy, or the biological facts.
> Since I have learned that I frequently don't understand
> you when you express your position in your language, it
> would help me if you make an attempt to express your
> position in my language. Please read through the following
> list of "position statements" and indicate which most
> closely approximates your position. Then, change my
> wording, if necessary to exactly describe your position.

> ALL changes in gene frequency are caused by either
> mutation or selection.

JE:- Many different gene freq. _patterns_ can be verified
(observed and documented) within nature. The job of the
scientist is to document them, sort them into categories and
try to explain what caused them.

Patterns of gene freq. can be validly suggested to be caused
by mutation, sampling error, meiosis, reproduction,
replication, death, virus infection and natural selection.
Two basic categories exist for all of these processes:
random and non random. Mutation, sampling error and meiosis
(which now stands refuted as a random process) are
classified as random processes. Reproduction, replication,
death, virus infection and selection are classified as non
random processes. The random processes of
mutation/drift/meiosis constitute "variation" where a
pattern of variation is just the one, same pattern: a random
pattern. This category of "variation" is classified into
heritable and non heritable. The processes that act on
heritable variation are all the non random processes in the
list. However these processes all become a sub category of
NS. Thus we end up with a testable theory of evolution
whereby random processes of variation that can only produce
random patterns, are acted on by the non random process of
NS causing a _non_ random change in gene. freq. in one
population (as well as a million other things).

Mutation is regarded as just another random process. If you
are attempting to substitute the non verifiable null
hypothesis of sampling error as causative to observable
drift patterns in nature with a _non_ random process of
mutation, which if true, could be verified as causative,
then this attempt fails because mutation is just another
random process. However, like drift _rates_, mutation
_rates_ can be selected providing a prima face case to
suggest that NS is involved with both random patterns where
NS remains a fully testable NON random process. .

> Selection IS a change in gene frequencies due to
> differences in birth or death rates.

JE:- Selection is any non random change in gene frequencies
due to differences in absolute fitness between Darwinian
selectee's within the same population.

>snip<

> JM:- If a gene increases in frequency by differences in
> birth and death rates, then it is being selected,
> regardless of whether we understand the causes of the
> difference in birth and death rates

JE:- If the above constitutes a random pattern then "no"
otherwise, "yes".

Just _any_ old gene freq change cannot constitute valid
evolution unless you demote the theory of evolution to just
a non testable status. The referee just throws out such a
view so science ends up with nothing.

> JM:-
> 2. I understand that some mutations are approximately
> neutral selectively, and I agree that Kimura's
> mathematics is correct in the same sense that Fisher's
> math is correct - it may be useful as a somewhat
> oversimplified model that provides some limited
> insight. However, it is wrong to make it sound as if
> Kimura is somehow contesting NS. Kimura is part of NS.

JE:- Yes. You cannot allow a simplified model to contest the
theory it is just a simplification from..

Please read Dr Moran's Reply. He has explicitly stated that
drift can cause evolution without selection, i.e. in his
opinion drift can be validly separated from NS as causative
to evolution. I have stated time and time again that drift
as causative to gene freq. change and selection as
causative to the same event, cannot be separated within any
_testable_ theory of evolution.

It just never occurs to gene centric Neo Darwinism that:

1) Drift cannot be separated from selection but selection
can be separated from drift, as causative to a gene freq.
change in one population.

2) Their view is a valid model but an invalid theory.

3) Darwin's view is a valid theory and not just a model.

4) It is invalid to contest a theory against its own
simplified model within any scientific arena.

> JM:_
> 3. Drift is conceptually distinguishable from NS, but it
> is scientific abdication of responsibility to actually
> hypothesize or believe in drift. Scientists are
> supposed to seek deterministic explanations for the
> world.

JE:- I would use the word "testable" instead of
"deterministic" because "determinism" has dictatorial
overtones of "absolutes" while "testable " only requires
"absolute assumptions". Enormous confusion still exists as
to their massive difference.

> JM:- A philosophically correct scientist will treat the
> so-called evidence for drift as an unsolved problem for
> another day, rather than actively embracing it. No
> philosophically correct scientist can adhere to an
> unverifiable hypothesis.

JE:- "A philosophically correct scientist" would agree that
not all _patterns_ can be classified as non random, that is
all. Thus, he/she must agree to a rule that defines when any
_pattern_ is random or non random. All of statistics is
devoted to this complex subject.

Now our "philosophically correct scientist" must propose
causation/causations for each verified pattern type. These
are termed _processes_. They are all, just guesses and they
all exist within two categories: random and non random. A
random process is only assumed to cause a random pattern.
However a non random process empirically, causes _both_.
Thus, it is possible to separate a random process from a non
random process by testing. A random process is refuted when
the pattern it is said to cause is non random. However it is
NOT verified when the pattern it was purported to cause
remains random (as we have agreed). All random patterns are
the same. OTOH, an observed _non_ random pattern can
verify/refute a unique non random process because all non
random patterns are different to each other. Thus the focus
of the sciences is on separating, via unbiased testing, all
proposed non random process that are on the table (actually
guessed). Thus: "no philosophically correct scientist " can
adhere to an unverifiable hypothesis in the absence of the
theory of which any hypothesis or simplified model of that
hypothesis remains just a _part_.

> Scientist has looked for an adaptive explanation for an
> allele fixation, such an explanation has been found. A
> scientist would be foolish to believe that this trend will
> not continue. Ultimately, almost all allele changes will
> be understood to have been caused by selection.

JE:- The only testable theory we have to explain any
allele freq. change within a population is NS. Random
patterns of allele freq. change must be thrown out as not
significant. Throwing out random patterns as a valid test
of any process has always been a standard scientific
practice. One day Darwinian theory will stand refuted and
be replaced by a better view. It is a misuse of the random
process of sampling error to suggest that it can refute
and replace NS .

Random and non random variation have always been a part of
Darwinian selection theory and cannot be separated from it.
This being the case, selection is testably, the only cause
of evolution that exists within evolutionary theory.
Variation can limit selection but cannot cause evolution.
Selection can select for rates of random variation both
temporal and non temporal.

> 5. Drift is absurd because it postulates selectively
> neutral mutations. That is, it assumes that the
> selective advantage is exactly zero. But it should be
> obvious that exactly zero is effectively impossible.
> Every mutation must have some small positive or
> negative effect, and therefore will be subject to
> selection.

JE:- The above is the position for drift as a testable
theory. However, drift is NOT a testable theory it just is
an over simplified model of a testable theory. Thus 5. does
not apply UNLESS this simplified model is _misused_ to
contest the theory it was simplified from. Since this has
been the case within gene centric Neo Darwinism for over 50
years, then 5 stands as a true critique of the _misuse_ of
drift as causative to evolution and not to just causative to
temporal variation. The cost of this on going misuse is the
quality of the questions asked of drift. This cost has been
considerable.

>snip<

Respectfully,

John Edser Independent Researcher

PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105 Australia

[email protected]

PostA20
> > > JE:- In a theory you have to prove an allele is ONLY
> > > neutral. How do you do this?

> > LM:- The easiest way is to check a large sample of a
> > population to see if two alleles are in Hardy-
> > Weinberg equilibrium. Did you not know that?

> TT:- It can be very difficult to show an allele has no
> selective effect. The difference between a neutral allele
> and one with a small selective effect may be significant
> in the long term, but may fail to be statistically
> significant in the population from which you sample. The
> difficulty in finding neutral genes grows with the
> population size. In small populations, "nearly neutral" is
> often close enough for drift to produce good predictions -
> but in large populations, selection has a longer time in
> which to act, and more individuals to select between - so
> very small selective differences can be magnified - and
> may become significant in the long term.

JE:- It appears from Dr Moran's reply to my post, that he
did not know the above.

Regards,

John Edser Independent Researcher

PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105 Australia

[email protected]

Post A18

>>> LM:-
> >> The easiest way is to check a large sample of a
> >> population to see if two alleles are in Hardy-Weinberg
> >> equilibrium. Did you not know that?

> > JE:- Yes I did. Did you know that the Hardy-Weinberg
> > equilibrium requires an infinite population for such a
> > proof and only indicates a random distribution i.e. a
> > verified random PATTERN if such a proof ever existed?

> LM:- No, I did not know that. I suggest you write a letter
> to the editors of the major scientific journals and
> explain this to them. They seem to be under the
> impression that a Hardy- Weinberg distribution in real
> populations is evidence that an allele is not affecting
> fitness. At least that how it seems to me. These
> editors are constantly accepting papers that make such
> statements.

JE:- Papers of "such statements" are valid and useful models
(but not valid theories) of allele neutrality. You can do
what you like within an over simplified model but you cannot
allow such a model to contest and win against the theory it
was simplified from. All models, without exception, are
simplifications of theories. Thus a testable _theory_ of
allele neutrality has to _prove_ the allele was neutral.
Note that a simplified model does _not_ have to do so
because just an approximated infinite population is assumed
as a model simplification. Proof of allele neutrality is
impossible because only finite populations actually exist.
Thus all drift assumptions are ALL simplified models of
theories and not theories themselves and are misused when
they are regarded as being contestable theories of nature.

It was you and not me who insisted that selection and drift
can be validly separated as contestable theories of
evolution. My position has always been that they cannot be
so separated within the only testable _theory_ that we have
of evolution: Darwinian evolution via the process of
natural selection, exactly as Darwin wrote it. Here
heritable variation remaines an integral _part_ of Darwin's
testable theory.

Instead of just snipping questions about the difference
between a theory and any simplified model derived from it,
or the difference between a theory and a hypothesis which
only constitutes one part of complete theory, I would
strongly suggest you attempt to enter some discussion on
this topic.

I want to be quite clear. Models of genetic drift are
valuable and valid _exercises_. They can throw considerable
light on how NS is limited by available heritable variation
and why NS may select to alter mutation and drift _rates_.

Do you deny that in principle, NS can select for mutation
and/or drift rates to be increased/decreased?

When random temporal variation is suggested to be evolution
such questions do not even arise. This is the cost of model
misuse and it constitutes a _considerable_ cost. In my view
the more important questions are just deleted when random
drift is allowed to invalidly cause evolution and not just
temporal variation within evolutionary _theory_.

The problem seems to me to be that you are an expert
specialist model builder, in this field. Ask any
specialist and they will suggest their speciality is more
important than any other. This is because specialists do
not necessarily know how their specialisation fits
together to form a theory of nature. When you define
drift as "evolution" then the hook that joins the drift
carriage to the theory train becomes broken. Instead of
having one testable theory you end up with sets of
unlinked carriages needlessly crashing into each other on
the same line. Generalists still remain out of in
fashion. Until this situation changes, sadly, many
specialists will inevitably end up misusing their
valuable work. However, they will always resent any
generalist suggesting this may be the case.

> > JE:- Assuming you did have an infinite population and
> > had proven the allele distribution pattern was indeed
> > neutral, what type of PROCESS can validly be suggested
> > to have caused this pattern?

> LM:- The process by which neutral alleles *change* in
> frequency in a population is called random genetic
> drift. Have you heard of it?

JE:- Yes, the _modelling process_ by which _defined_ neutral
alleles just randomly change in frequency in a population is
called random genetic drift. It remains entirely, a random
process. This process only produces one type of pattern: a
random _pattern_.

Is it true or false to claim that a _non_ random process may
have caused this random pattern?

> >JE:- I note that you just snipped the meat of my post
> >which concerns the critical difference between a model
> >and a theory.

> LM:- I did. I'm not interested in your strange philosophy
> and it has no relevance to sci.bio.evolution.

JE:- So you think that the terms, "theories", "models" and
"hypothesis" all mean exactly the same thing? Why then did
anybody bother to call them different names? Indeed, it
seems to me that it is your "philosophy" that appears
"strange" because it simply equates the above terms!
Obviously, it remains convenient for you as a model builder
to assume that they are all just equivalent because you
will not now have to bother yourself about sorting out how
your models mesh with other models from different
specialist fields to form a valid theory or just hypothesis
of a theory.

> [snip]

> > > LM:-
> >> The answer is yes.

> > JE:- Thank you for answering the question.

> LM:- You're welcome. It's probably the fifth time that
> I've answered your question but I understand that you
> have to hear things many times before they start to
> sink in.

JE:- Ditto. Hence this discussion.

> > JE:- How would you set up a real life experiment (not
> > just a thought experiment) to test your proposition?

> LM:- You start by accepting the standard minimal
> definition of evolution - change in the frequency of
> alleles in a population.

JE:- This is the proposition under test... This means we
must "start" by accepting the proposition under question,
i.e. you have proven you case before we even start to test
it. This a science list and not a Monty Python appreciation
society. Here, propositions are subject to _independent
testing_ BEFORE we start to test them.

The proposition under independent test is:

Can _any_ change in the freq. of alleles in a population be
validly defined as "evolution" ?

> LM:- Then you create a neutral allele; for example, a base
> substitution in the defunct coding region of a
> pseudogene in some green algae. Insert the mutation
> into a cell. Grow the culture until you have lots and
> lots of green algae carrying the mutation. Dump 1000
> litres of this culture into ten different small lakes
> that have a thriving population of the green algae
> (i.e. lots of individuals with the original wild-type
> allele). Sample the algae in each lake every year for
> 10-20 years to see if the frequency of alleles in the
> population is changing.

JE:- The neutral allele was only _assumed_to be neutral and
you have not controlled for NS. To prove that drift _alone_
can cause evolution, i.e. drift without any NS at all (which
I remind you is the proposition under test here) then NS
must be entirely eliminated from the population. If NS is
not eliminated you are just assuming that random drift
caused the observed gene freq changes, i.e. you are assuming
as true what was subject to independent testing. This being
the case, the experiment is just a total waste of time. Why
bother testing something you have defined as true in the
first place?

To test the proposition that drift can cause evolution
without selection you must eliminate NS from the
experimental population. How would you create a population
that can only drift, i.e. a population that has zero NS ?

Best Wishes,

John Edser Independent Researcher

Po Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105 Australia

[email protected]

[email protected] (Larry Moran) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 04:41:24 +0000 (UTC), William Morse
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> With regard to Fisher. I want to be careful here, because
>> I have not read Fisher, and all of the big names in the
>> field that I have read clearly know much more about
>> evolution than I do, have thought much more about
>> evolution than I have, and are generally much more aware
>> of the subtleties of their arguments than I am. It does
>> seem to me that for selection to _unavoidably_ diminish
>> heritable variation requires that (a) there exists a
>> maximum (in my sense) for the fitness measure and (b)
>> that the environment is unchanging. Now (a) is probably
>> approximately true for many fitness measures (the point
>> may make for some interesting argument) but (b) is
>> clearly false. With a changing environment, selection can
>> in fact produce variation. But note that even if
>> selection does not produce variation, _it will still
>> occur if there is excess reproduction_
>
> I basically agree with you but I'd just like to raise a
> minor point that has always bothered me. I don't think
> that (b) is clearly false in the sense you mean. In most
> cases the environment doesn't change very much or, if it
> does, species track their preferred environment.

I should probably have qualified my statement by saying that
(b) is clearly false _in the long run_. Over the short run I
agree with you. Now the definition of what is the long run
can I think vary from as low perhaps as on the order of
hundreds of years for geographically limited populations of
rapidly reproducing species occupying marginal ecosystems
with limited ability to migrate, to perhaps millions of
years for species exhibiting the opposite characteristics,
The figures are my own guess, and I would be happy to know
of real data.

> But selection can still produce variation. The reason why
> selection can still produce variation in an unchanging
> environment is because no species is perfectly adapted to
> its environment (IMHO). I assume that you require a
> *changing* environment because you disagree with me. You
> probably assume that after some time in a constant
> environment the species will become so well-adapted that
> further change by selection can't happen. That's why you
> require a *changing* environment. Am I right?

No. What I was trying to note by my requirement (a) was that
if there is no upper bound on fitness, selection can
continue to produce variation. I did not press the point
because most people do seem to believe that most species are
well-adapted, in the sense that they can't evolve further. I
did note that the point may make for some interesting
argument, and on that I seem to have been correct :)

> It seems to be a common perception that species will
> rapidly become perfectly adapted to their environment and
> that's why *change* in environment seems to be required
> for further adaptation. I've never understood the
> rationale for this assumption. Are there any modern
> examples of species that are presently so perfectly
> adapted to their environment so that natural selection is
> insignificant?

I personally see no particular reason why the current state
of most species should represent the acme of adaptation, and
I think the question of the limits of organic evolution is a
very interesting question. There _are_ probably some limits
that are more difficult to overcome than others. For
instance, homeothermy appears to be advantageous for large
animals in many environments (actually bees also tend to
maintain temperatures of about 35 degrees C in their hive).
Now one might surmise on the basis of increasing reaction
rate with increase in temperature that there should be a
steady trend towards higher temperature, but there is a
clear plateau at 36-40 degrees C, perhaps because it is
difficult to generate a suite of proteins that are suitably
stable at temperatures above that. It is interesting to note
that eutherian mammals, with a mean temperature of 38
degrees, tend to outcompete marsupials, which have a
temperature lower by several degrees. Passerine birds have a
slightly higher temperature than non-passerines, but I don't
know if passerines have similarly tended to replace non-
passerines.

>> In practice, I think the combination of drift and
>> environmental change produce initial speciation -
>> selection then drives further variation between the
>> separated populations.Perhaps this is closer to Sewall
>> Wright's point of view, with which I tend to
>> sympathize, but Wright is another of the giants that I
>> have yet to read.

> I don't think environmental change is a requirement for
> speciation. Most cases of speciation in the fossil record
> show that the daughter species and the parent species co-
> exist for millions of years in (presumably) the same
> environment. (This is one of the main tenets of punctuated
> equilibria.) Furthermore, I also don't think it's
> necessary to postulate that "selection drives further
> variation between the populations" as you say. The
> populations could just as easily diverge by drift,
> although the data in the fossil record suggests that
> stasis is very common.

Interesting. Among the many fields of which I am ignorant,
phylogenetics is prominent. Even from an adaptationist
viewpoint I suppose it makes sense for daughter species to
resemble parent species for a good while - they are already
adapted to a particular niche and will not quickly diverge,
unless a change in the environment makes a new niche
available. And if the populations are reasonably large, then
drift will not separate them in the presence of stabilizing
selection, although of course for smaller populations drift
can accomplish this. But smaller populations are more likely
to go extinct, which may explain why most new species that
last long enough to be recorded in the fossil record come
from the split of large populations.

> If I understand you correctly, you're postulating
> speciation by cladogenesis followed by subsequent gradual
> divergence due to natural selection. Is this a correct
> interpretation?

Well, there is also the possibility of rapid divergence with
founder populations in new environments, e.g. the cichlids
in Lake Victoria. But in many cases I think it likely that
there is initial divergence within a population due to
drift, incomplete gene flow, and possibly interdemic
competition. Then an event occurs (I don't think it has to
be a complete geographic separation, although that certainly
qualifies) that leads to cladogenesis. Once gene flow
between the populations is broken, they are free to diverge,
helped by competitive exclusion within niches. I definitely
like the idea of gene duplication and subsequent drift
(apparently now called Divergent Resolution) as a cause of
speciation.

Yours,

Bill Morse

Guy Hoelzer <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> in article [email protected], William Morse
> at [email protected] wrote on 4/8/04 4:51 PM:

>> And my point is that selection doesn't stop, it is only
>> that under some (perhaps many) circumstances it keeps
>> selecting the same thing. That may mean that you will
>> only _see_ it sporadically, but it doesn't mean it is not
>> occurring. If you offer me a choice between a and b over
>> and over, and I choose b over and over without fail, does
>> that mean no choice is being made?

> I agree that stabilizing selection is a form of selection,
> and probably the most common form of selection at this
> point in time. [I suspect that directional selection was
> more prominent in the earliest stages of life on earth,
> and perhaps following mass extinctions.] However, even
> stabilizing selection does not manifest when there is no
> heritable variation for fitness. The most compelling
> argument I know of supporting your claim that selection
> doesn't stop is the general form of the Hamilton/Zuk model
> of host/parasite coevolution, which they constructed to
> underpin the Good Genes process of epigamic trait
> evolution. The basic point is also effectively captured by
> the Red Queen hypothesis. In a coevolutionary context, the
> biotic environment continuously and rapidly changes in
> response to evolution of the focal species, which would
> tend to maintain at least some heritable variation for
> fitness. This argument convinces me to concede that
> selection may not stop in regard to traits involved in
> social or interspecific interactions when interacting
> partners are entrained in a coevolutionary network.
> Outside of this context, I remain skeptical.

How do I explain my point? Let's try this one. I work at a
place with a dress code - you have to wear a blue blazer.
Fifty people work there. Every day, one hundred people show
up with blazers. Some of them have 3 buttons, some have 2
buttons. Some of them have breast pockets, some don't. Some
have wide lapels, some have narrow lapels. Fifty of those
who show up get chosen to work. Over the years, the number
of blazers with 3
vs. 2 buttons, the number with and without breast pockets,
and the number with wide vs narrow lapels changes, but
all 50 are always blue. Why are they always blue? Is it
because nobody ever shows up with a black one? No. It is
because whenever somebody does wear a black one into
work, they don't get chosen! Is there any evolution in
coat color? No there is not. Is there selection for coat
color? Yes there most certainly is.

I am guessing you are in fact arguing a different point,
namely how much of variation is neutral. I thought I had
explained why I disagree with that point, but it seemed not
to take. I have in the above simplified to an extreme so we
can focus on our actual point of disagreement.

Yours,

Bill Morse

Tim Tyler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jim Menegay <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
>
> > John, Tim, Guy, and whoever else is thinking of
> > piling on:
>
> Sorry about any "bundle" effect.
>
> Hopefully, the bundlers can blame any injuries on the
> s.b.e moderation delay.

No harm, no foul. I was clearly wrong to assert that no one
defends sympatric speciation. Tim's ploidy example indicates
to my satisfaction that I would be wrong to claim that
sympatric speciation can't ever happen.

The interesting question regarding speciation is how non-
wasteful barriers to reproduction arise. It is natural to
claim that they arise from wasteful barriers - but then you
have to explain how the wasteful barriers arise.

I look forward to reading the papers recommended by John and
Guy. Truth be told, I never really liked the allopatric
models anyways. Turner is right, I think, to be skeptical
that drift avoids the problems. The birth of a new species,
like all births, inevitably involves some pain.

"r norman" <rsn_@_comcast.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 16:08:07 +0000 (UTC), "Peter F."
>
> >Hibernation did not only provide a H suitable for my SEPTIC-
> >humored acronym-assembling purpose.
> >
> >Luckily (from my side of looking at it) it can also be
> >seen to have a meaning with a (for my purpose) suitably
> >far-reaching sweep.
> >
> <snip a couple hundred more lines>
>
> You know, after reading this type of thing even John
> Edser's stuff sounds lucid!

You, being yet another one not swallowing my light-making
bait, is entirely my loss. I might have to keep seeking for
some other soul to delight dancing perversely philosophical
duett with. %-)

There is even a possibility that you have saved yourself
from 'Eternal' Philosophical Torment. %-)

Whether or not my "EPT position of overview" contains some
slightly deluded definitions, and whether or not you or
anyone else can ever come to think the way I do about what
is known and anthropobiologically relevant, it will never be
- as I've previously explained - an inEPT source of CURSES-co-
motivated AEVASIVE delights. %-]

PostA19

> >JE:- You have confused random patterns with random
> >processes. Nobody has suggested that random patterns
> >cannot be observed. It is what they mean and what we can
> >validly suggest caused them that forms the substance of
> >this debate

>snip for brevity<

> RN:- You have confused "random patterns" with
> fundamentally random mechanisms.

JE:- I have not "confused random patterns with fundamentally
random mechanisms". I have explicitly stated that all
patterns are caused by processes and not the reverse. Do you
argue otherwise?

A random process can only cause a random pattern where all
random patterns are the same pattern. However a non random
process can cause both random and non random patterns where
all non random patterns are unique (different to each
other). Thus the testable basis of nature can only consist
of contestable (verifiable and refutable) non random
processes and not random processes which can be refuted but
not verified. Random processes only constitute a null
hypothesis. This being the case we can never know when they
are verified (true), only when they are refuted (false).

> RN:- The fundamental process at work that underlies the
> phenomena I mentioned: tunneling, diffusion, radioactive
> decay (a new one I just added) is a random process.

JE:- Are you stating that random processes constitute the
fundamental of a testable nature and not non random
processes?

> RN:- You have a very one-sided view of randomness and
> determinism and refuse to acknowledge what Physics has
> known for over one hundred years, now, when you consider
> statistical thermodynamics, radioactive decay, and quantum
> mechanics.

JE:- You can do a lot with "statistical thermodynamics,
radioactive decay, and quantum mechanics" as long as they do
not seek to replace contestable theories of _non_ random
processes with just a random processes.

Best Wishes,

John Edser Independent Researcher

PO Box 266 Church Pt NSW 2105

[email protected]

Peter F. <[email protected]> wrote:

> "John Wilkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Thank you. That, of course, completely clears
> > > things up.
> >
> > Yes, but what it clears up is Peter's penchant for
> > meaningless acronyms.
>
> It could just be that you are doing some wishy-washy
> wishful AEVASIVE thinking, of an inEPT kind. ;-)

How would I know if I can't understand the question?