Day 9 - Nelson Bay to Newcastle

dannii

Apr 15, 2003
Holy ****, only TWO DAYS to go!!!! :D

I left Nelson Bay at about 6.45 this morning......raining again......what a surprise!!! Fortunatley it was only drizzly patches of rain.

As i left Nelson Bay heading out towards Anna Bay, I forgot just how windy the flat plains out there could be.....There were a couple of stretches where I was reduced to 12km/hr as the winds buffeted at my left from the fields and at my right from the high volume of traffic that was out this morning.....I felt like I was in a one man shoving match!!!! I also forgot that there was no shoulder for most of the way out to the Newcastle lakes district. Needless to say the morning was spent with my heart in my mouth, as cars sailed past me a 100km/hr over VERY rough and shoulderless roads. I made it out to the Lakes at about 8.50am.....just over 2hrs to get 25km, not good going but only 8km to go!!

I arrived in Newcastle City at 9.15am hoping that the hotel wouldn't mind me checking in early. Fortunately they are kind people. I went straight to my room. ooohhhh the nicest room yet AND it has a bath....yaaay!!!!!! I promptly threw all my gear on the floor, stripped out of my riding gear and gooshy wet socks and straight into a hot bubble bath......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! :D

After I was reduced to the same amount of wrinkles as my 82yr old grandma, I jumped out, dressed and headed out in search of a hot cup of tea and an internet cafe......and here I am, staring out the window at the bleak grey skys of a monday morning in Newcastle.

Stats:
Total Km's = 33km
Total time = 2hrs 12mins
Avg speed = 16.6km/hr (bloody wind!!!:( )

Dannii, 'been following your journey through your posts, hats off for you gall!!!
You make it sound like fun. Keep it up, nearly there!!

Fun??!!??....Glad I make it sound like fun...hehehe

I suppose that I can't complain too much.....I have experienced so many things, seen so many places and met so many people that I would not have ordinarily had the opportunity.....I guess I do try to talk more about the positive aspects of things.....I hate having to post the nasty stuff too much....would hate to sound like a whinger:(

But there are some bad sides to all of this too........both my ankles are shot (my achilles are killing me with every turn), my right knee feels ready to explode and saddle sores are a *****.... but i would have to agree that the fun does far outweigh the bad......as corny and "new age" as it may sound.....it has a lot to do with mind control......if you tell yourself that it doesn't hurt or it could be worse, or it's only 40km more to go to a hot meal and warm shower, or to simply stop being a big whinging girl (no offense to any gals out there :) ) then the body can do anything.

I am glad that my half sleepy rantings everynight is found to be interesting enough to want to read regularly.......sometimes jumping on the net is the last thing i feel like doing at night, but when people say that they enjoy following along with my journey, it spurs me along......so keep the replies coming ;)

But there are some bad sides to all of this too........both my ankles are shot (my achilles are killing me with every turn), my right knee feels ready to explode and saddle sores are a *****.... but i would have to agree that the fun does far outweigh the bad......

You know what they say; you need a P'tive & N'tive pole to get a light to work. I suppose at the end off the day you'll remember the positives much longer!!! :)

Hey Dannii, following your journey and reading about your experiences has been very inspiring. You are one special girl. This adventure, not only are you putting yourself out there for those kids, which in itself is an awesome achievement, but the memory of this i would imagine will be an unforgetable and rewarding experience for you. Thinking of you mate. Take care and my fingers are crossed that the body stays strong :) the mind games are obviously working a treat!!!! Enjoy the break in Sydney..... you go girl! (like everyone else, it amazes me what you're doing.....unbelievable!) :D

Cheers
Marnie :)

Hey Danster,

Like you said, holy **** only two days to go.

Keep it up mate, at the end of this you will look back and smile and when I think of all the kids that you are helping it puts life in perspective. You are fantastic.

Take care and I will see you when you get back to Brissie.

Paul