Daylight Saving Ends....Bugger!!!!

jimmay2000 said:
Any suggestions for a bright bike light that doesn't break the bank?

I use the Nightflux Vision Sticks in the 10W model. The biggest reason I rate them is that you are able to expand them by buying parts fairly easily (as they are an Australian product, ie extra batteries, extra lamp heads etc etc. I think mine cost about $150, I probably put about 120 hours in them last winter rotating between two batteries (the extra battery was another $90). I've just broken them out after lending them to a mate for the NZO 24 hour last weekend.

MPCRUSHER said:
Winter in Sydney and Wollongong is the best time for cycling. 17-21 degree days, Blue skies and breezes. The only bad thing is the odd westerly that blows in. We actually get less rain in winter than we do in summer.

The most you need to be comfortable are arm and leg warmers. Early mornings require gloves until about 9 am. The other good thing about winter is that it is the racing season.

While at the moment the weather is relatively nice (in Sydney) I don't think I'm going to go as far as saying winter is the 'best' time for cycling. I rode a quick 90 this morning and as I left the house at 5:45 apart from nicks and a jersey I had a long sleeve compression top, arm warmers, ear warmers (to protect my bald head) and a gilet on and only really felt warm after the first 45 minutes of riding, and we are still another couple of months from winter. It might be nice middle of the day but early morning I think spring is much more civilized!

--brett

MPCRUSHER said:
We actually get less rain in winter than we do in summer.
While the above is true, we also get more rain in autumn and early winter than in summer. It then dies down over late winter.

See:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_066062.shtml

(Observatory Hill).

Similar patterns are seen for other areas of Sydney, although the further inland you get, the greater the difference between maximum and minimum rainfall.

nerdag

whoa it was cold on beach road this morning. i left at 7am and it seemed ok but on they way home after a quick coffee at cafe racer i swear it was getting colder as the day wore on.

sideshow_bob said:
I use the Nightflux Vision Sticks in the 10W model. The biggest reason I rate them is that you are able to expand them by buying parts fairly easily (as they are an Australian product, ie extra batteries, extra lamp heads etc etc. I think mine cost about $150, I probably put about 120 hours in them last winter rotating between two batteries (the extra battery was another $90). I've just broken them out after lending them to a mate for the NZO 24 hour last weekend.
Thanks; I'll look into them.

sideshow_bob said:
While at the moment the weather is relatively nice (in Sydney) I don't think I'm going to go as far as saying winter is the 'best' time for cycling. I rode a quick 90 this morning and as I left the house at 5:45 apart from nicks and a jersey I had a long sleeve compression top, arm warmers, ear warmers (to protect my bald head) and a gilet on and only really felt warm after the first 45 minutes of riding, and we are still another couple of months from winter. It might be nice middle of the day but early morning I think spring is much more civilized!

--brett
Where in Sydney do you live? Because on the coast, it is rare in winter to get below 7 celcius. It usually only goes down to around 10 degrees.
In Holsworthy near liverpool it is not uncommon to see the temperatures down around 0-2 degrees celcius in the morning (big variation). Maybe I should have clarified what area of Sydney is nice to ride in in winter.

MPCRUSHER said:
Where in Sydney do you live? Because on the coast, it is rare in winter to get below 7 celcius. It usually only goes down to around 10 degrees.
In Holsworthy near liverpool it is not uncommon to see the temperatures down around 0-2 degrees celcius in the morning (big variation). Maybe I should have clarified what area of Sydney is nice to ride in in winter.

I live in Panania which is just across the Georges River from Holsworthy. Last year my back lawn had a good number of very heavy frosts so tempertures of 0 are relatively common. I used to have a cycle computer with temperature in it and pretty commonly in winter you'd see 3-5C.

Although it's colder, I love the mornings where there is steam/fog comming off the Yarra as you ride on the path through Abbotsford/Richmond and the dawn light starts to shine. I do hate the lower suns angle where you can be blinded and can't see commuter cyclists coming in the opposite direction.

Does any body have a good suggestion to stop the toes getting so cold after the shoes getting wet.
I have some neoprene overshoes that still leak in water into my size 45 MTB shoes. Is there some waterfroof covers that people can recommend.