Daylight Savings Time!

simonspecial

Feb 21, 2006
Is anyone else pumped for DST? I can now go riding after work each and every day. Fantastic.:D

same here mate, its light til after 8 pm...

its light til 10:30 pm in the summer....great!

simonspecial said:
Is anyone else pumped for DST? I can now go riding after work each and every day. Fantastic.:D

simonspecial said:

No, not exactly.

I'm certainly excited for the longer days of spring and summer, but to be honest, the whole DST thing (which by the way is Daylight Saving Time, not "Savings"), is pretty useless.

My biggest problem with it is that it was already light out for both ends of my daily commute, but pushing ahead the clock made this morning dark at 6:00 a.m. again for about another month. The same thing happens when we switch back to standard time, I'm plunged into darkness at 4:30 p.m. The whole thing is stupid.

Here's a Web site that might make you reconsider whether DST is such a great idea.

www.standardtime.com

In any case, enjoy the light and the warmth in the Northern Hemisphere!

Ike90 said:
No, not exactly.

I'm certainly excited for the longer days of spring and summer, but to be honest, the whole DST thing (which by the way is Daylight Saving Time, not "Savings"), is pretty useless.

My biggest problem with it is that it was already light out for both ends of my daily commute, but pushing ahead the clock made this morning dark at 6:00 a.m. again for about another month. The same thing happens when we switch back to standard time, I'm plunged into darkness at 4:30 p.m. The whole thing is stupid.

Here's a Web site that might make you reconsider whether DST is such a great idea.

www.standardtime.com

In any case, enjoy the light and the warmth in the Northern Hemisphere!

That site didn't change my mind at all. I'd go for moving California to DST all year round - effectively changing time zones. Spain should geographically be in GMT but they chose to be in GMT+1 so they're with France, Italy, Holland, Poland, etc.

And when is CyclingForums.com going to catch up? All the post times are still on Daylight Wasting Time. (or is that something I have to change in my settings?)

DiabloScott said:
I'd go for moving California to DST all year round ... And when is CyclingForums.com going to catch up?

That would work in Southern Cal, as it does in Arizona, and in fact it's exactly what the site I linked proposes, but to some extent, Northern Cal would have the same issues that the Northwest has. Old folks like me may remember that one winter, '74 I believe, we remained on Daylight time as an energy saving measure. Unfortunately, when you do that, in the depth of winter it doesn't get light out until 8:45 a.m., which places school children in more danger.

I don't have a big problem with DST; I just think it's rather pointless. It all goes back to the reason Ben Franklin suggested it in the first place. If you like to sleep late, you like DST in the summer. If you're an early riser, you'd probably rather not hassle with it. I know I'm more tired than usual today.

And yeah, this site can automatically detect the time change, but maybe you don't have it activated?

cyberlegend1994 said:
Yes - in the U.S. DST is not observed by Arizona, Hawaii, or the eastern half of Indiana. Unfortunately I don't live in one of those areas.... :eek:
Indiana now has DST.

I like DST. Everything happens outdoors once this starts. People are all over the parks playing sports, walking pets, and riding skateboards. Everything comes alive.

poweredbysweat said:
I like DST. Everything happens outdoors once this starts. People are all over the parks playing sports, walking pets, and riding skateboards. Everything comes alive.

We have that everyday.....maybe that's why we don't have DST.

DiabloScott said:
That site didn't change my mind at all. I'd go for moving California to DST all year round - effectively changing time zones. Spain should geographically be in GMT but they chose to be in GMT+1 so they're with France, Italy, Holland, Poland, etc.
A similar thing happened in portions of central Kentucky in the 1960s. Geographically, Louisville should be in the Central time zone, but for some reason reasons, they decided that they would rather be on daylight saving time year round. One year they went on daylight saving time, did not switch back in the fall, and stayed on Eastern Standard Time year round. Then, when the Uniform Time Act went into effect, they went back to standard time in the winter and daylight saving time in the summer, but instead of going back to CST/CDT, they stayed on EST/EDT.
Ike90 said:
Unfortunately, when you do that, in the depth of winter it doesn't get light out until 8:45 a.m., which places school children in more danger.
I never understood this argument. My kids had to be at the bus stop at 6:30. What difference does it make if they were at the stop one hour before sunrise or two hours before sunrise - it is still dark.

RickF said:
I never understood this argument. My kids had to be at the bus stop at 6:30. What difference does it make if they were at the stop one hour before sunrise or two hours before sunrise - it is still dark.

That's very true, and the farther north one travels, the less effect the time change has on available light anyway. As I said, I think the present system is kind of silly. As diabloscott and the Web site I linked earlier both suggest, The western U.S. could simply remain on DST year round without much negative impact at all.

While we're splitting hairs over DST, I believe that the Navaho Nation in Northern Arizona DOES observe DST, but to complicate things, the Hpoi Nation, which is located entirely within the borders of the Navajo Nation, does not. As "House" mentioned, Indiana is switching to DST, although there is some question whether all of its counties are observing the new legislation.

Bottom line: for those of us is northern climes, it's finally getting lighter and warmer!