Days off the saddle ....how many?

eortiz

Nov 12, 2003
I always take a day (1 day) off the saddle per week. But life just sometimes dictates it so the max I take off the saddle is 2 days. How many days to you take off in a week? Another question is, how many days off the saddle will you feel you need to start all over again once you get back on the bike? Lastly, when you do get back on the bike, do you hammer hard on that day or take it easy or just in between? Thanks

eortiz said:
I always take a day (1 day) off the saddle per week. But life just sometimes dictates it so the max I take off the saddle is 2 days. How many days to you take off in a week? Another question is, how many days off the saddle will you feel you need to start all over again once you get back on the bike? Lastly, when you do get back on the bike, do you hammer hard on that day or take it easy or just in between? Thanks
Out of necessity, I took almost a whole week off about two weeks ago, and I really think the rest did me some good. I think my legs actually grew a little bit, but I was able to hammer out a really good ride on my day back. I try not to go more than one day off a week, but do sometimes take two (rarely back to back). I'm relatively new though, and work full time and go to school part-time. I find if I don't ride at least 5-6 times a week, I suffer for it mentally, if not physically.

i usually ride saturday and sunday for between 2 - 2 1/2 hours, then tuesday and thursday 1 hour in the morning, and 1 hour in the evening (to work and back).

my weekend rides are from 35 - 50 miles depending on whether i'm doing endurance miles, or climbing repeats, or intervals. my weekday rides are between 15 - 22 miles each way.

my rides are usually at a pretty fast pace. but i usually take one of my weekday rides as a recovery ride at a very low pace.

tmctguer said:
i usually ride saturday and sunday for between 2 - 2 1/2 hours, then tuesday and thursday 1 hour in the morning, and 1 hour in the evening (to work and back).

my weekend rides are from 35 - 50 miles depending on whether i'm doing endurance miles, or climbing repeats, or intervals. my weekday rides are between 15 - 22 miles each way.

my rides are usually at a pretty fast pace. but i usually take one of my weekday rides as a recovery ride at a very low pace.
In June I did a 4 day Tour, and took 6 days of rest afterwards due to attending a conference in the same city, and got back on the bike only a week afterwards. It did me the world of good. Usually one to two days rest, depending on distances and intensity of rides.

When you're younger there's a tendency to overdo things and think that more is better. The logic is you think if someone else is riding 3 hours and you do 5 hours, progress will be faster. However, when you get older the aches and pains start to set in.
Based on my own experiences, I would suggest enthusiasm has to be tempered down and days off are essential. Joints need to be rested and the body needs time to recuperate. Above all, the temptation to go hell for leather on every ride needs to be modified.
Now I turned 40 I make an effort to resist some of the crazy excesses I used to go in for. Today, for example, I'll go out on a moderate ride, try and avoid too many hills and just get some basic miles in. Sometimes, though, I'll go really hard and push myself flat out. But if I feel I need it, I may take 2 whole days off and wind down.
I'll be honest, though, now I'm 40 my joints ache a lot because I used to train hard every time in the past.

eortiz said:

Thnaks for all the replies. I do feel great after a day or two off the bike. The reason I asked is sometimes I feel guilty and I tend to gain weight :) during those off days. Just two days ago I did hill repeats back to back and my hamstring is sore. I probably over did it and I don't feel like riding plus there are other things that are a priority right now. I guess, I'' just take it easy and give myself a break. My training for the next day or two is to stay away from the kitchen and do some strengthening exercises. Thanks again

Carrera said:
When you're younger there's a tendency to overdo things and think that more is better. The logic is you think if someone else is riding 3 hours and you do 5 hours, progress will be faster. However, when you get older the aches and pains start to set in.
Based on my own experiences, I would suggest enthusiasm has to be tempered down and days off are essential. Joints need to be rested and the body needs time to recuperate. Above all, the temptation to go hell for leather on every ride needs to be modified.
Now I turned 40 I make an effort to resist some of the crazy excesses I used to go in for. Today, for example, I'll go out on a moderate ride, try and avoid too many hills and just get some basic miles in. Sometimes, though, I'll go really hard and push myself flat out. But if I feel I need it, I may take 2 whole days off and wind down.
I'll be honest, though, now I'm 40 my joints ache a lot because I used to train hard every time in the past.

eortiz[/QUOTE said:
dont know why. but i thought of that book written by Dave Phinney and carpenter. it says in the case of recovery to 'err on the side of too much rest'
I live by that rule!!!! haha:)

eortiz said:
Thnaks for all the replies. I do feel great after a day or two off the bike. The reason I asked is sometimes I feel guilty and I tend to gain weight :) during those off days. Just two days ago I did hill repeats back to back and my hamstring is sore. I probably over did it and I don't feel like riding plus there are other things that are a priority right now. I guess, I'' just take it easy and give myself a break. My training for the next day or two is to stay away from the kitchen and do some strengthening exercises. Thanks again
Chances are the weight gain you are experiencing during those off days is due to water retention. It is unlikely that you are adding measurable stores to your adipose tissues in such a short time frame.

That is the greatest news I have ever heard!! Thanks! Come to think about it , you are right (not that I don't believe you at first). Since the body is composed of 70% water that's what the added weight is.

On a side note, I did ride for 2 hrs. today (high cadence only) head wind was very strong and I really did not have the legs to push it. It will definitely be a rest day for me until Thu. (or maybe Fri.)

Doctor Morbius said:
Chances are the weight gain you are experiencing during those off days is due to water retention. It is unlikely that you are adding measurable stores to your adipose tissues in such a short time frame.