Daytime running lights

Martin Dann

Guest
Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/10/nlights110.xml

> unsafety minister, said: "The UK has been successful in arguing
> against the introduction of mandatory use of dipped headlamps during
> daylight hours by drivers of existing vehicles.
>
> 'However, from early 2011 all new types of passenger cars and light
> vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in
> accordance with the relevant European directive. By summer 2012 all
> new vehicles will have to be so fitted.

Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more hazardous
for us.

Martin.

On 12 Feb, 02:51, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/10/nligh...

> > unsafety minister, said: "The UK has been successful in arguing
> > against the introduction of mandatory use of dipped headlamps during
> > daylight hours by drivers of existing vehicles.

> > 'However, from early 2011 all new types of passenger cars and light
> > vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in
> > accordance with the relevant European directive. By summer 2012 all
> > new vehicles will have to be so fitted.

> Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more hazardous
> for us.
>
> Martin.

What utter madness.

I don't think it will effect me much though. When cycling in the
daytime there is a much brighter light that can effect your
visibility. It's called the sun.

bornfree wrote:
> On 12 Feb, 02:51, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.
>>
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/10/nligh...

>>> unsafety minister, said: "The UK has been successful in arguing
>>> against the introduction of mandatory use of dipped headlamps during
>>> daylight hours by drivers of existing vehicles.
>>> 'However, from early 2011 all new types of passenger cars and light
>>> vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in
>>> accordance with the relevant European directive. By summer 2012 all
>>> new vehicles will have to be so fitted.

>> Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more hazardous
>> for us.
>>
>> Martin.

> What utter madness.
>
> I don't think it will effect me much though. When cycling in the
> daytime there is a much brighter light that can effect your
> visibility. It's called the sun.

From what I understand, some bus companies already instruct their
drivers to drive with dipped lights during the day. It is claimed to
reduce accidents by something like 20%. I guess that on balance it might
save lives but, taking our case in isolation, it might not be good for
cyclists.

Brian.

In message <[email protected]>
bornfree <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 12 Feb, 02:51, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.
> >
> > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/10/nligh...

> > > unsafety minister, said: "The UK has been successful in arguing
> > > against the introduction of mandatory use of dipped headlamps during
> > > daylight hours by drivers of existing vehicles.

> > > 'However, from early 2011 all new types of passenger cars and light
> > > vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in
> > > accordance with the relevant European directive. By summer 2012 all
> > > new vehicles will have to be so fitted.

> > Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more hazardous
> > for us.
> >
> > Martin.

> What utter madness.
>
> I don't think it will effect me much though. When cycling in the
> daytime there is a much brighter light that can effect your
> visibility. It's called the sun.

The problem is not cycling around at midday in sunny June. It is travelling
(esp. urban areas) on a dull Feburary afternoon, when there are lots of
vehicles all with lights on which are brighter than the ambient light.

Looking in the direction of the vehicles you mostly see a mass of lights, to
the detriment of anything else, e.g. pedestrians, and road
markings/furniture. I find when vehicles light up too early, it reduces
visibility.
IMHO the reason many people put their lights on too early is due to volvos
and saab using DRLs

Martin.

Martin Dann wrote:

> bornfree <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/10/nligh...

>>> Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more hazardous
>>> for us.

>> What utter madness.

>> I don't think it will effect me much though. When cycling in the
>> daytime there is a much brighter light that can effect your
>> visibility. It's called the sun.

> The problem is not cycling around at midday in sunny June. It is travelling
> (esp. urban areas) on a dull Feburary afternoon, when there are lots of
> vehicles all with lights on which are brighter than the ambient light.

> Looking in the direction of the vehicles you mostly see a mass of lights, to
> the detriment of anything else, e.g. pedestrians, and road
> markings/furniture. I find when vehicles light up too early, it reduces
> visibility.
> IMHO the reason many people put their lights on too early is due to volvos
> and saab using DRLs

> Martin.

Driving manuals used to suggest early lighting-up for years before the
introduction of The Volvo With The Permanently-On Lights (c.1975?).

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 02:51:44 GMT someone who may be Martin Dann
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.
>
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/10/nlights110.xml
>
>Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more hazardous
>for us.

What do your MEPs have to say about this? The office of one of mine
are looking into it, but didn't sound too happy if the story is
correct.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Martin Dann wrote:
> Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/10/nlights110.xml

>> unsafety minister, said: "The UK has been successful in arguing
>> against the introduction of mandatory use of dipped headlamps during
>> daylight hours by drivers of existing vehicles.
>>
>> 'However, from early 2011 all new types of passenger cars and light
>> vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in
>> accordance with the relevant European directive. By summer 2012 all
>> new vehicles will have to be so fitted.

> Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more hazardous
> for us.

It will be worse if they mandate use of dipped headlights by cars not
fitted with DRLs. Besides anything else, there's an effect on fuel
consumption (significant at a national level) and CO2 emissions. Worse,
on my car the aerodynamics are badly affected by having the headlamps on
because it has large pop-ups.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Martin Dann wrote:
>> Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.
>>
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/10/nlights110.xml

>>> unsafety minister, said: "The UK has been successful in arguing
>>> against the introduction of mandatory use of dipped headlamps during
>>> daylight hours by drivers of existing vehicles.
>>> 'However, from early 2011 all new types of passenger cars and light
>>> vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in
>>> accordance with the relevant European directive. By summer 2012 all
>>> new vehicles will have to be so fitted.

>> Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more
>> hazardous
>> for us.

> It will be worse if they mandate use of dipped headlights by cars not
> fitted with DRLs.

They've done that in Italy (only outside towns).

It might be the most-complied-with traffic rule the Italians have.

I always forget...