Daytime Running (tail)lights

Pinelander

Jul 5, 2009
I started noticing more cyclists on the road lately using a rear light during daylight hours. It struck me as subtle enough to not be obnoxious to motorists and other riders passing, but definitely eye-catching. In my senior years I've become increasingly concerned that I need to make myself more visible to multi-tasking motorists. Another benefit would be that I don't need as much neon in my wardrobe. I've seen the light and just picked one up and installed it on my bike. Nothing blindingly bright or seizure inducing. Just a solid bright red light that can't be missed.

Is anyone else doing this?

Tom

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
No but it's not a bad idea at all - daytime running lights on autos became standard after statistics showed they reduced collisions.

Only ? I would have is what battery operated rear light shows up in direct full sunlight, I know mine don't wouldn't.

I disagree with not needing the neon stuff, you need to wear neon green or similar but green is the most noticeable, yeah it looks nerdy but it does help due to the large surface area, your body, that it is covering to give an effect, there is a proven reason why road workers wear that stuff.

Daytime rear tail light is a great idea if you'll be riding on streets with lots of traffic, and the brighter the better because even the ones considered bright at night like the Planet Bike Super Flash Turbo isn't bright enough in broad daylight. So either get a Serfas TL80 or a Light & Motion Vis 180 (not the Vis 180 micro), both of these run around 80 lumens, not sure of the quality of the Serfas but the Vis 180 is nearly indestructible. USe the rear light on flash mode during the day and steady at night with a another flashing tail light.

Motorcycles here are required by law to have their headlights and tail lights on when on the road. There are police checkpoints to implement that so it is almost always followed. But with bikes, there are actually no rules whatsoever. That's why I created a thread about traffic violations of riders because they can do almost anything on the road and the traffic cops won't seem to mind. Even at night, not all bikes have those illuminated tails although some wear those led lights that illuminate their behind.

Corzhens said:
Motorcycles here are required by law to have their headlights and tail lights on when on the road. There are police checkpoints to implement that so it is almost always followed. But with bikes, there are actually no rules whatsoever. That's why I created a thread about traffic violations of riders because they can do almost anything on the road and the traffic cops won't seem to mind. Even at night, not all bikes have those illuminated tails although some wear those led lights that illuminate their behind.
I agree, there is no law requiring bikes to have tail lights, there is a law requiring that they have reflectors, but reflectors are almost useless. Since Bicycles are to obey the same traffic laws as cars and motorcycles than they should be required to have tail lights and headlights both day and night, well at least tail light during the day.

I have a strange question; why is it in the english language that a headlight is spelled with the words head and light combined, but tail light the two words are separated? I would think they should be the same, either headlight and taillight or head light and tail light.

Froze said:
I disagree with not needing the neon stuff, you need to wear neon green or similar but green is the most noticeable, yeah it looks nerdy but it does help due to the large surface area, your body, that it is covering to give an effect, there is a proven reason why road workers wear that stuff.

Daytime rear tail light is a great idea if you'll be riding on streets with lots of traffic, and the brighter the better because even the ones considered bright at night like the Planet Bike Super Flash Turbo isn't bright enough in broad daylight. So either get a Serfas TL80 or a Light & Motion Vis 180 (not the Vis 180 micro), both of these run around 80 lumens, not sure of the quality of the Serfas but the Vis 180 is nearly indestructible. USe the rear light on flash mode during the day and steady at night with a another flashing tail light.

Froze said:
I agree, there is no law requiring bikes to have tail lights, there is a law requiring that they have reflectors, but reflectors are almost useless. Since Bicycles are to obey the same traffic laws as cars and motorcycles than they should be required to have tail lights and headlights both day and night, well at least tail light during the day.

I have a strange question; why is it in the english language that a headlight is spelled with the words head and light combined, but tail light the two words are separated? I would think they should be the same, either headlight and taillight or head light and tail light.
I agree. There's no such thing as being "too visible" on the road. Also, studies show that a flashing tail light is more effective than a steady red one. If flashing red lights are illegal under one's local laws, they also make amber tail lights.

As far as the one/two words, it's the double L in taillights. It reads much easier as two words.

mpre53 said:
I agree. There's no such thing as being "too visible" on the road. Also, studies show that a flashing tail light is more effective than a steady red one. If flashing red lights are illegal under one's local laws, they also make amber tail lights.

As far as the one/two words, it's the double L in taillights. It reads much easier as two words.
Studies have shown in Canada and the US that flashing tail lights are more effective because it attracts the attention of the motorist, however in Europe their studies showed that steady was more effective because it allowed motorist to ascertain more accurately how far they were from the cyclist. So in light of those studies I decided that during the day I would run the brightest of my rear lights on flash, but during the night I would run that light on steady and the lessor bright lights on flash mode.

Not saying that my method of steady and flashing lights work better at night because I have no idea if it does. I've never been hit from behind even in the days when we rode around without any lights just reflectors, and during the era when tail lights came out that were extremely dim.

I agree with the double L in tail lights reads easier so then they should split the word headlight to head light. To me the two words are the same thing, both are lights and one is a head and one is a tail thus they both should be separated. I know I'm weird for thinking this way.

Reactions: steve
One needs the brightest rear light possible for daytime riding. A couple of 0.5w blinkies are plenty for night riding and there are many brands of varying prices. I use Sette blinkies. They're just as good and 1/3 the price of a Portland or Planet Bike Superflash.

For daytime Cygolite Hotshots are my choice. 2w re-chargeable. VERY bright. 5 different patterns including steady. My son happened on me while driving into the sun and told me the light was completely visible. They're 25-30.00.

On the front I use a WM Bell w/a strobe option for daytime use. It's bright enough to grab attention, but not so bright as to cause issues. For the front nighttime I've got Cygolite 250 lumens re-chargeables w/a 'pulse' option. I've got 5 bikes and they're all set up w/t same lighting rig.

Also, ALL my cycling clothes have reflective materials and my tires all have reflective material on both sides the circumference of the tires. I run Schwalbe Marathon Plus on all my bikes in addition to white spoke reflectors.

All my bikes save my fixed have various set-ups of panniers and trunk bags as I'm a utility, car-free cyclist. They all have reflective material. Not to mention passive red reflectors on the rear on all my racks and mounted white at the caliper point or strapped to the fork.

It's my humble opinion anything less while riding in traffic isn't prudent.

I've never seen this on my travels but I really do like the idea of it, especially if the light is eye-catching. I'll be honest, I've never even thought about the use of DLR's on bikes, even though I like the look of them on cars. I might have to give this a try on my bike.

Do you have any pics of your set-up, by any chance?

What are DLRs? Tried to post pictures of my rigs on other threads, but as I use an android exclusively I haven't figured out a way to do it. I'll try to post links to my lighting accssories. I can easily text photos, but posting to websites seems to be a whole different kettle o' fish. I've got a Note 3, so if anyone knows how to post pictures from this model I'd appreciate being schooled.

I am not doing this but I think it is a good idea for rider safety. I was in a accident before and I swear this device could of helped. Some people might think it is over the top, but hey, you have only one life so you have to protect it. No on else is going to do it.

Here are links to what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E1NQ696/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1436548905&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=cygolite&dpPl=1&dpID=41V82qeyxjL&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003YC4A9I/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1436549008&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=nite+rider+150+lumens&dpPl=1&dpID=41Gs3OfA8ZL&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EQUVFTU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1436549137&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=Bell+bicycle+headlight&dpPl=1&dpID=414%2BJCfZ5CL&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L0G9JN2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1436549216&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=bicycle+.5w+tail+lights

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E1NQ6T6/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1436549864&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=cygolite+hotshot&dpPl=1&dpID=31vag0Bvk3L&ref=plSrch

The Niterider I swap from bike to bike when I anticipate a lengthy ride that might drain my Cygolite headlight. It's just used as a backup.
Purchased them all over time. Got better prices consistantly, but were I to do it all over these lights are what I would purchase. Maybe with more lumens on the headlight, but that's about it. Btw, don't use bright lights on any MUP during the day or at dusk. It's unnecessary and REALLY annoying. Keep 'em off until you reach the roads.

Addendum: I go for free shipping whenever possible. For most cycling items one purchases online a Website can be found with FS as an option. Sometimes, there's a minimum. Usually I can find something I need to put me over. Ebay, Amazon, Price Point are my first options. Then I work out from there. Have saved a ton of money over the years. Shipping costs are a savings killer.

I use a rear light in its "daylight mode" (which basically is a really bright double flash pattern) when the weather is foggy, rainy etc.

Although I kinda dislike the "motorway worker" orange vests I don't have a problem with neon colouredjerseys... Maybe not shorts though... :D

#Welshdude:

I also use Android. I tried to upload a picture by switching to the full browser mode but the thing will only allow me to upload 200 bytes or something. (Yes, bytes, not kb) :D

So when I wanna upload a picture I use a website for uploading pics which doesn't require registration. Tinypic seems to work just fine and you can get a string of code for multiple images.

Then just paste the code in your post. If you wanna post an image that's already online, try switching to full browser mode and click on insert image and paste the full URL of the image. (It has to end in .jpg or .png etc, so right click, or tap on the image and click on copy image URL).

If the above doesn't work, shoot your device! :D

A Mark 23 or USP should be fine, but a Desert Eagle is better for device shooting applications. :D

Good luck! :D

#Volnix:

I'll set it up @ 200 yards. Mosin-nagant 91/30 w/no scope. Want it to have at least an opportunity to be STRESSED into working. :)

Lololol :D

You could also try typing with a bayonet! :D

Testing: Yep, it works. :)

2i23bs0.jpg

Volnix said:
Lololol :D

You could also try typing with a bayonet! :D

Testing: Yep, it works. :)
Nice. I'm DOA without my stylus. The ol' h&p method. Besides my M-N didn't come w/a bayonet. A real cool original pouch, though.

Something tells me we're 2 things: hijacking this thread and on the wrong forum for this conversation. lol
Cool ride, btw.

welshdude3 said:
Nice. I'm DOA without my stylus. The ol' h&p method. Besides my M-N didn't come w/a bayonet. A real cool original pouch, though.

Something tells me we're 2 things: hijacking this thread and on the wrong forum for this conversation. lol
Cool ride, btw.
It happens alot. :D

Fanks. :) It's from last nights ride. :) I got "Boris Yeltsin" beer-drunk and vertically climbed this hill without shoes with the bike on my back. :D

I even found a naked chested long haired weird guy in the middle of the forest!:D

Then I did some weird pagan stuff I saw in some movies. :D

After that I descended the hill like crazy with about 45kmh average and 62kmh max!

But at least I was wearing a helmet! :D

That should keep me normal for a month in everyday life. :D Blowing steam is good. :)

Rear light was a Lezyne Lithium rechargeable with a "day light" mode. Lolololol. :D