Daytona -- Chorus compatibility question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Drew Knox, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Drew Knox

    Drew Knox Guest

    After my bike was torn down and repainted, I replaced a one-year old Record chain with a Daytona.
    Cranking backwards I found several links would bind slightly as they passed through the upper
    derailleur pulley and onto the Chorus cogs. I flexed the links to make sure they weren't tight and
    made sure it wasn't the pin I had just punched in. When I put the old chain back on, smoothness
    returned. So my question is are the Record and Daytona chains interchangeable? Not sure I like the
    alternatives.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    drew knox wrote:
    > After my bike was torn down and repainted, I replaced a one-year old Record chain with a Daytona.

    There is no Daytona chain. Record chains are supplied for all groups.

    All chains of the appropriate speed are interchangeable anyway, and you can use non-Campag brands
    perfectly well with Campag components.

    ~PB

  3. Suzy Jackson

    Suzy Jackson Guest

    "drew knox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > After my bike was torn down and repainted, I replaced a one-year old
    Record
    > chain with a Daytona. Cranking backwards I found several links would bind

    This makes no sense. Campy don't make different chains for different groups. There is only a C-9 for
    9 speed, or a C-10 for 10 speed. Your new chain may take a few miles to wear in. It's common to have
    a few stiff links at first.

    Failing that, what has likely happened is that your old chain and cluster have worn together, and by
    leaving it too long between replacing chains, you now have to buy a new cluster as well.

    I'd recommend going for the loose cog cassettes, regardless of what group you run for the rest
    of your drivetrain, as they work just as well as the mark 2 or titanium cogs at significantly
    less cost.

    Regards,

    Suzy

    --
    ---
    Suzy Jackson [email protected] http://www.suzyj.net

  4. Bikconsult

    Bikconsult Guest

    If problems persist try a Yaban 10 speed chain (the one in the gold tin), I think marketed under
    another more Western name in the US, their 10 speed joiner is a sensible alternative to the

    Suzy Jackson wrote:
    > "drew knox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>After my bike was torn down and repainted, I replaced a one-year old
    >
    > Record
    >
    >>chain with a Daytona. Cranking backwards I found several links would bind
    >

    > This makes no sense. Campy don't make different chains for different groups. There is only a C-9
    > for 9 speed, or a C-10 for 10 speed. Your new chain may take a few miles to wear in. It's common
    > to have a few stiff links at first.
    >
    > Failing that, what has likely happened is that your old chain and cluster have worn together, and
    > by leaving it too long between replacing chains, you now have to buy a new cluster as well.
    >
    > I'd recommend going for the loose cog cassettes, regardless of what group you run for the rest
    > of your drivetrain, as they work just as well as the mark 2 or titanium cogs at significantly
    > less cost.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Suzy
    >
    > --
    > ---
    > Suzy Jackson [email protected] http://www.suzyj.net

  5. << Campy don't make different chains for different groups. There is only a C-9 for 9 speed, or a
    C-10 for 10 speed.

    Actually for 9s there is a Daytona/Veloce 9s chain and a Record 9s chain. Chepaer one has black
    inner plates, the Record one is grey-ish. There is only one Campagnolo 10s chain tho-

  6. "drew knox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > After my bike was torn down and repainted, I replaced a one-year old Record chain with a Daytona.
    > Cranking backwards I found several links would bind slightly as they passed through the upper
    > derailleur pulley and onto the Chorus cogs. I flexed the links to make sure they weren't tight and
    > made sure it wasn't the pin I had just punched in. When I put the old chain back on, smoothness
    > returned. So my question is are the Record and Daytona chains interchangeable? Not sure I like the
    > alternatives.

    Sounds like stif links, but if thats not the case, your cogs might be toast. I don't know how many
    miles you do, but a year is quite a while for a chain. Use cheap chains and change often, saves $$
    in the long run with todays pricey cog sets. --Jim

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Suzy Jackson wrote:
    > Campy don't make different chains for different groups. There is only a C-9 for 9 speed, or a C-10
    > for 10 speed.

    That's right, but dealers and Campag themselves sometimes describe them as "Record" chains.

    ~PB

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > Actually for 9s there is a Daytona/Veloce 9s chain and a Record 9s chain. Chepaer one has black
    > inner plates, the Record one is grey-ish.

    They keep that quiet! There's no mention of it in the Campag catalogue and I've only ever seen
    dealers list one price for Campag 9sp chains.

    ~PB

  9. Chluu907

    Chluu907 Guest

    Out of curiosity, are the 9sp chains from Campagnolo compatible with a shimano Ultegra drive train?

    Thanks, Claude

  10. chluu-<< Out of curiosity, are the 9sp chains from Campagnolo compatible with a shimano Ultegra
    drive train?

    Yep ---