DC cycling?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Thunderdomeshar, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Moving to DC soon, anyone point me in the right direction for newsgroups/shops/anything?

    Regards

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Thunderdomeshark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Moving to DC soon, anyone point me in the right direction for newsgroups/shops/anything?
    >
    > Regards

    You'll be racing USCF District 20, betcha if you looked that up you'd find lots of info. If that
    fails, look up ncvc, snow valley racing team, and spokes etc.

    There are bunches of teams and clubs around with some of the fastest sob's I've ever ridden with. If
    you're not into the going fast, there are also several (many?) touring-type clubs, but you're going
    to have to find them on your own.

    Good luck!

    Mike

  3. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    The D20 mailing list:

    www.topica.com/lists/uscf-district20/read

    Lots of trash-talking from Pennsylvania-based children, but still a good resource for info on the
    (highly developed) local racing scene.

    Andy Coggan

    "Thunderdomeshark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Moving to DC soon, anyone point me in the right direction for newsgroups/shops/anything?
    >
    > Regards

  4. Paul D.

    Paul D. Guest

    News group: dc.biking. It has been a bit inactive lately, but is worth watching. Besides, maybe we
    need new blood in the newsgroup to get it going again!. Anyway, DC is a really good cycling town.
    Many trails, good roads *in the area* - that is to say DC roads suck, but surrounding areas have
    great places to ride. Lots of good shops. I don't know where you will be living, but Spokes in
    Alexandria, Revolution and Cycling Pro Shop in Georgetown, City Bikes in NW DC are all *very* highly
    respected. Plenty of other very good shops. -P

    "Thunderdomeshark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Moving to DC soon, anyone point me in the right direction for newsgroups/shops/anything?
    >
    > Regards

  5. Alfalfa

    Alfalfa Guest

    A later starter, myself that is, recently purchased a Schwinn Fastback Comp
    (2001) -- and even though my butt still hurts (replacing the seat) I am enjoying my bike and the
    trials in VA and hope for warm weather soon. By the way DC streets are terrible for bikers.

    http://www.digitalcity.com/washington/shopping/listings.adp?cat=2163

    One of my riding friends sent me the above link, it may help you also. Alfalfa.

    "Thunderdomeshark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Moving to DC soon, anyone point me in the right direction for newsgroups/shops/anything?
    >
    > Regards

  6. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    Check out the Potomac Pedalers website: http://www.bikepptc.org/

    Thunderdomeshark wrote:

    > Moving to DC soon, anyone point me in the right direction for newsgroups/shops/anything?
    >
    > Regards

  7. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Has not propagated beyond DC, evidently.

    "Paul D." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > News group: dc.biking. It has been a bit inactive lately, but is worth watching. Besides, maybe we
    > need new blood in the newsgroup to get it going again!. Anyway, DC is a really good cycling town.
    > Many trails,
    good
    > roads *in the area* - that is to say DC roads suck, but surrounding areas have great places to
    > ride. Lots of good shops. I don't know where you will be living, but Spokes in Alexandria,
    > Revolution and Cycling Pro Shop
    in
    > Georgetown, City Bikes in NW DC are all *very* highly respected. Plenty
    of
    > other very good shops. -P
    >
    > "Thunderdomeshark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Moving to DC soon, anyone point me in the right direction for newsgroups/shops/anything?
    > >
    > > Regards

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    The one thing I learned riding in the Metro DC area is that you are going to have to ride
    assertively. I used to ride where the car's right wheels should normally be figuring that 1. they're
    going to see me and hit me, then I own their asses, or 2. they're going to see me and miss me. This
    theory worked for a lotta years, which means I either got lucky, or I was on to something.

    Don't ride like a messenger, you'll get plowed eventually.

    Watch out on the WOD. Bikes at 20+mph and joggers, dog walkers, runners, etc. don't mix well.

    Riding out in Reston is awesome. So is the Sat Rock Creek Park ride. (I missed these when I was home
    for Christmas, bummer!) My parents live outside Manassas. If you've got the time to get out there,
    you can go for hours without seeing another person in sections of Prince William County.

    Good luck!

    Mike

    news:[email protected]...

  9. On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 22:34:43 -0500, Thunderdomeshark wrote:

    > Moving to DC soon, anyone point me in the right direction for newsgroups/shops/anything?

    Recreational cycling clubs include Potomac Pedalers (http://www.bikepptc.org), Oxon Hill Bicycle
    Club (http://ohbike.org), probably others. There are racing clubs as well (Team Snow Valley,
    National Capitol Velo Club, probably others too).

    If you're a hardcore long distance rider, check out http://dccentury.org, a web site run by some of
    the area's Randoneurs. This group does a 100 mile ride every weekend, all year long. And, obviously,
    we have brevets too. You'll find the link to the Randonneur group on the PPTC web site.

    If you're a tandem rider, both PPTC and Baltimore Bicycle Club have tandem groups.

  10. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Its not the Hispanics that worry (-ied) me while riding. Its the yuppies in their Lexuses and
    Benzes, and soccer moms in their minivans and SUVs that scare me.

    I've had more problems from those two categories of people than any other. The DC area is just chalk
    full of both! "Jennifer Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Mike S." [email protected] Date: 1/18/03 7:00 PM wrote:
    >

    > >The one thing I learned riding in the Metro DC area is that you are going
    > >have to ride assertively. I used to ride where the car's right wheels should normally be figuring
    > >that 1. they're going to see me and hit me,
    then
    > >I own their asses, or 2. they're going to see me and miss me. This
    theory
    > >worked for a lotta years, which means I either got lucky, or I was on to something.
    >
    > I believe it was the former. You assumed the person driving had a
    driver's
    > license and money. What if it was one of those Mexicans who acquired an illegal driver's license
    > from that DMV clerk in DC and all you could "own"
    was