Dead wrong more than dead on

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Charles Howe, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Charles Howe

    Charles Howe Guest

    >From: "Charles Hodge" [email protected] Date: 3/20/2003 6:13 PM Eastern Standard Time
    >
    >One of the main issues is finding a promoter who is willing to host
    Elite
    >Nationals. For those of you who do not know, the Nationals are hosted
    by
    >local clubs/promoters/organizations with support from USAC in the
    form of
    >timing, staging, officials, etc. The reason that Elites were
    scheduled so
    >late is that there has to be someone who WANTS to do the event, and
    who has
    >the organization and backing to pull it off.

    That's true as far as it goes, but no further. Elite Nationals are a USAC "event property," and as
    such, USAC decides how they wish to stage them. If they were to make hosting them more financially
    attractive instead of keeping the income (which seems fair, since they may supply technical
    assistance, but the host club supplies the manpower and organization), while publicising the bid
    process better, they would likely get more interest, however, strengthening the weakened club
    structure (another aspect of the problem) isn't one of their priorities. Alternatively, they might
    consider taking bids further in advance, or rotating the event among several venues throughout the
    country. That would solve the annual problem of venue selection (you don't see the US Pro road race
    hunting for a venue every year).

    Thus I repeat what I said in another forum: USAC does not value its national championships much, its
    regional championships less, and its district championships still less.