Deadlift back problems(help!)

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Aug 18, 2005.

  1. hi, all

    About a month back I went on holiday for a week, and came back to do my
    normal set of thursday deadlifts (130KG)
    Suddenly I felt a ligament go in my lower back on the left, and had to
    stop, a couple of days past and the pain disapeared
    the follwing week I made sure I warmed up a lot more, stretched alot
    more, and did my sets on a lower weight. No pain
    The week after I did a normal set at (120kg), also no pain. Today I did
    a morning session (It's usually evening) and put
    120kg on again after my 60kg warmup set. after the 5 rep on the first
    set, I suddenly got the click in back again and had to stop,
    same pain as before, hopefully the pain will diminish over time.
    However to avoid this happening a third time, I want to continue
    excercising but pinpoint a way to avoid this, so my questions are:-

    1. Should I instead of doing 1 set warmup, then 4 sets heavy, should I
    perhaps do a light medium and make the last set heavy
    to allow the muscles to be fully warmed up?

    2. I have only been training a year and a half, and was told to use a
    weight belt with anything over 100KG, but does this
    weaken the lower back because it is removing pressure from it?

    3. Would squats make a decent alternative to deadlifts if I can't get
    on with them anymore?

    4. Should I go back to 60KG and work up slowly a week at a time to my
    original weight over say 6 weeks?
    (I did a similar thing when I had shoulder pain which seemed to work).

    Thanks for your time

    Austin

    Tags:

  2. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > hi, all
    >
    > About a month back I went on holiday for a week, and came back to do my
    > normal set of thursday deadlifts (130KG)
    > Suddenly I felt a ligament go in my lower back on the left, and had to
    > stop, a couple of days past and the pain disapeared
    > the follwing week I made sure I warmed up a lot more, stretched alot
    > more, and did my sets on a lower weight. No pain
    > The week after I did a normal set at (120kg), also no pain. Today I did
    > a morning session (It's usually evening) and put
    > 120kg on again after my 60kg warmup set. after the 5 rep on the first
    > set, I suddenly got the click in back again and had to stop,
    > same pain as before, hopefully the pain will diminish over time.
    > However to avoid this happening a third time, I want to continue
    > excercising but pinpoint a way to avoid this, so my questions are:-
    >
    > 1. Should I instead of doing 1 set warmup, then 4 sets heavy, should I
    > perhaps do a light medium and make the last set heavy
    > to allow the muscles to be fully warmed up?
    >
    > 2. I have only been training a year and a half, and was told to use a
    > weight belt with anything over 100KG, but does this
    > weaken the lower back because it is removing pressure from it?
    >
    > 3. Would squats make a decent alternative to deadlifts if I can't get
    > on with them anymore?
    >
    > 4. Should I go back to 60KG and work up slowly a week at a time to my
    > original weight over say 6 weeks?
    > (I did a similar thing when I had shoulder pain which seemed to work).
    >
    > Thanks for your time
    >
    > Austin

    See a doctor first, and a coach after that. Figure out what the problem is.
    The "use a weight belt with anything over 100KG" makes no sense - use a belt
    when you near your limits, read this newsgroup or ask a specific question
    about belt useage. Better still, use Google Groups or similar and read this
    newsgroup on the subject over the past few years. I've deadlifted over
    150kg without a belt and I only weigh 70kg. When to use a belt, if you use
    one at all - I don't - should be a function of a percentage of your one-rep
    max and not some arbitrary number.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  3. aust_powers wrote:

    > Today I did
    > a morning session (It's usually evening) and put
    > 120kg on again after my 60kg warmup set. after the 5 rep on the first
    > set, I suddenly got the click in back again and had to stop,
    > same pain as before, hopefully the pain will diminish over time.
    > However to avoid this happening a third time, I want to continue
    > excercising but pinpoint a way to avoid this, so my questions are:-
    >
    > 1. Should I instead of doing 1 set warmup, then 4 sets heavy, should I
    > perhaps do a light medium and make the last set heavy
    > to allow the muscles to be fully warmed up?

    Your warm-up sets should be done better. You shouldn't jump from
    60 kg up to 120-130 kg. In addition to the 60 kg set, do 75-80 kg for
    2-3 reps then got to 95 kg for 1 rep. Then do the work sets.

    > 2. I have only been training a year and a half, and was told to use a
    > weight belt with anything over 100KG, but does this
    > weaken the lower back because it is removing pressure from it?

    No. It's better to not wear the belt as tight as possible. You want
    to be able to get 1-2 fingers between the belt and abs (not sucked in).

    > 3. Would squats make a decent alternative to deadlifts if I can't get
    > on with them anymore?

    Yes. Try to do both. Not necessarily in the same workout.

    > 4. Should I go back to 60KG and work up slowly a week at a time to my
    > original weight over say 6 weeks?

    Sounds good. But make sure your back is OK first.

  4. Hugh Beyer

    Hugh Beyer Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:1124376317.790411.245270
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > hi, all
    >
    > About a month back I went on holiday for a week, and came back to do my
    > normal set of thursday deadlifts (130KG)
    > Suddenly I felt a ligament go in my lower back on the left, and had to
    > stop, a couple of days past and the pain disapeared
    > the follwing week I made sure I warmed up a lot more, stretched alot
    > more, and did my sets on a lower weight. No pain
    > The week after I did a normal set at (120kg), also no pain. Today I did
    > a morning session (It's usually evening) and put
    > 120kg on again after my 60kg warmup set. after the 5 rep on the first
    > set, I suddenly got the click in back again and had to stop,
    > same pain as before, hopefully the pain will diminish over time.
    > However to avoid this happening a third time, I want to continue
    > excercising but pinpoint a way to avoid this, so my questions are:-
    >
    > 1. Should I instead of doing 1 set warmup, then 4 sets heavy, should I
    > perhaps do a light medium and make the last set heavy
    > to allow the muscles to be fully warmed up?
    >
    > 2. I have only been training a year and a half, and was told to use a
    > weight belt with anything over 100KG, but does this
    > weaken the lower back because it is removing pressure from it?
    >
    > 3. Would squats make a decent alternative to deadlifts if I can't get
    > on with them anymore?
    >
    > 4. Should I go back to 60KG and work up slowly a week at a time to my
    > original weight over say 6 weeks?
    > (I did a similar thing when I had shoulder pain which seemed to work).
    >
    > Thanks for your time

    Sounds similar to what I've done to myself twice with deadlifts. Went
    heavy (for me, my max is ~ 127 Kg) tweaked my lower back, felt stiff for a
    few days. Happened twice. This is what I did:

    * Took 2 weeks off DL's and when I returned, dropped the max weight about
    20%. Worked my way back up SLOWLY.

    * Dropped DL's to once a week

    * Started doing Good Morning's and weighted back extensions. Added weight
    to both exercises SLOWLY. I'm now doing BE's with 65# and GM's with 165#
    -- the GM's could be heavier but I have tight hams and I'm looking for all
    the depth I can get on them.

    I lift 3x week, so I do GM's one day, DL's the next, and BE's the last.

    So far so good.

    YMMV

    IANAE

    IANAD

    IANAHAPL*

    Hugh

    * I Am Not A Heavy-Ass PowerLifter

    --
    Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
    chocolate. ("Ladi")

  5. Hugh Beyer

    Hugh Beyer Guest

    Hugh Beyer <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > [email protected] wrote in news:1124376317.790411.245270
    > @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> hi, all
    >>
    >> About a month back I went on holiday for a week, and came back to do my
    >> normal set of thursday deadlifts (130KG)
    >> Suddenly I felt a ligament go in my lower back on the left, and had to
    >> stop, a couple of days past and the pain disapeared
    >> the follwing week I made sure I warmed up a lot more, stretched alot
    >> more, and did my sets on a lower weight. No pain
    >> The week after I did a normal set at (120kg), also no pain. Today I did
    >> a morning session (It's usually evening) and put
    >> 120kg on again after my 60kg warmup set. after the 5 rep on the first
    >> set, I suddenly got the click in back again and had to stop,
    >> same pain as before, hopefully the pain will diminish over time.
    >> However to avoid this happening a third time, I want to continue
    >> excercising but pinpoint a way to avoid this, so my questions are:-
    >>
    >> 1. Should I instead of doing 1 set warmup, then 4 sets heavy, should I
    >> perhaps do a light medium and make the last set heavy
    >> to allow the muscles to be fully warmed up?
    >>
    >> 2. I have only been training a year and a half, and was told to use a
    >> weight belt with anything over 100KG, but does this
    >> weaken the lower back because it is removing pressure from it?
    >>
    >> 3. Would squats make a decent alternative to deadlifts if I can't get
    >> on with them anymore?
    >>
    >> 4. Should I go back to 60KG and work up slowly a week at a time to my
    >> original weight over say 6 weeks?
    >> (I did a similar thing when I had shoulder pain which seemed to work).
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time

    > Sounds similar to what I've done to myself twice with deadlifts. Went
    > heavy (for me, my max is ~ 127 Kg) tweaked my lower back, felt stiff for
    > a few days. Happened twice. This is what I did:
    >
    > * Took 2 weeks off DL's and when I returned, dropped the max weight
    > about 20%. Worked my way back up SLOWLY.
    >
    > * Dropped DL's to once a week
    >
    > * Started doing Good Morning's and weighted back extensions. Added
    > weight to both exercises SLOWLY. I'm now doing BE's with 65# and GM's
    > with 165# -- the GM's could be heavier but I have tight hams and I'm
    > looking for all the depth I can get on them.
    >
    > I lift 3x week, so I do GM's one day, DL's the next, and BE's the last.
    >
    > So far so good.

    Fergot to mention... I also morphed my routine from one where I went
    pretty quickly to the max weight to one where I build slowly up to it over
    a bunch of sets. I've always liked high-volume routines anyway. E.g. I did
    8 DL sets in my last workout after warmup, increasing the weight by 10 and
    then 5 pounds each set. It looks a lot like a sheiko progression and it
    means I get plenty of time to see how I'm feeling and stop early if I
    don't seem to have it that day.

    Hugh