Deadlift back problems(help!)

hi, all

About a month back I went on holiday for a week, and came back to do my
normal set of thursday deadlifts (130KG)
Suddenly I felt a ligament go in my lower back on the left, and had to
stop, a couple of days past and the pain disapeared
the follwing week I made sure I warmed up a lot more, stretched alot
more, and did my sets on a lower weight. No pain
The week after I did a normal set at (120kg), also no pain. Today I did
a morning session (It's usually evening) and put
120kg on again after my 60kg warmup set. after the 5 rep on the first
set, I suddenly got the click in back again and had to stop,
same pain as before, hopefully the pain will diminish over time.
However to avoid this happening a third time, I want to continue
excercising but pinpoint a way to avoid this, so my questions are:-

1. Should I instead of doing 1 set warmup, then 4 sets heavy, should I
perhaps do a light medium and make the last set heavy
to allow the muscles to be fully warmed up?

2. I have only been training a year and a half, and was told to use a
weight belt with anything over 100KG, but does this
weaken the lower back because it is removing pressure from it?

3. Would squats make a decent alternative to deadlifts if I can't get
on with them anymore?

4. Should I go back to 60KG and work up slowly a week at a time to my
original weight over say 6 weeks?
(I did a similar thing when I had shoulder pain which seemed to work).

Thanks for your time

Austin

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi, all
>
> About a month back I went on holiday for a week, and came back to do my
> normal set of thursday deadlifts (130KG)
> Suddenly I felt a ligament go in my lower back on the left, and had to
> stop, a couple of days past and the pain disapeared
> the follwing week I made sure I warmed up a lot more, stretched alot
> more, and did my sets on a lower weight. No pain
> The week after I did a normal set at (120kg), also no pain. Today I did
> a morning session (It's usually evening) and put
> 120kg on again after my 60kg warmup set. after the 5 rep on the first
> set, I suddenly got the click in back again and had to stop,
> same pain as before, hopefully the pain will diminish over time.
> However to avoid this happening a third time, I want to continue
> excercising but pinpoint a way to avoid this, so my questions are:-
>
> 1. Should I instead of doing 1 set warmup, then 4 sets heavy, should I
> perhaps do a light medium and make the last set heavy
> to allow the muscles to be fully warmed up?
>
> 2. I have only been training a year and a half, and was told to use a
> weight belt with anything over 100KG, but does this
> weaken the lower back because it is removing pressure from it?
>
> 3. Would squats make a decent alternative to deadlifts if I can't get
> on with them anymore?
>
> 4. Should I go back to 60KG and work up slowly a week at a time to my
> original weight over say 6 weeks?
> (I did a similar thing when I had shoulder pain which seemed to work).
>
> Thanks for your time
>
> Austin

See a doctor first, and a coach after that. Figure out what the problem is.
The "use a weight belt with anything over 100KG" makes no sense - use a belt
when you near your limits, read this newsgroup or ask a specific question
about belt useage. Better still, use Google Groups or similar and read this
newsgroup on the subject over the past few years. I've deadlifted over
150kg without a belt and I only weigh 70kg. When to use a belt, if you use
one at all - I don't - should be a function of a percentage of your one-rep
max and not some arbitrary number.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

aust_powers wrote:

> Today I did
> a morning session (It's usually evening) and put
> 120kg on again after my 60kg warmup set. after the 5 rep on the first
> set, I suddenly got the click in back again and had to stop,
> same pain as before, hopefully the pain will diminish over time.
> However to avoid this happening a third time, I want to continue
> excercising but pinpoint a way to avoid this, so my questions are:-
>
> 1. Should I instead of doing 1 set warmup, then 4 sets heavy, should I
> perhaps do a light medium and make the last set heavy
> to allow the muscles to be fully warmed up?

Your warm-up sets should be done better. You shouldn't jump from
60 kg up to 120-130 kg. In addition to the 60 kg set, do 75-80 kg for
2-3 reps then got to 95 kg for 1 rep. Then do the work sets.

> 2. I have only been training a year and a half, and was told to use a
> weight belt with anything over 100KG, but does this
> weaken the lower back because it is removing pressure from it?

No. It's better to not wear the belt as tight as possible. You want
to be able to get 1-2 fingers between the belt and abs (not sucked in).

> 3. Would squats make a decent alternative to deadlifts if I can't get
> on with them anymore?

Yes. Try to do both. Not necessarily in the same workout.

> 4. Should I go back to 60KG and work up slowly a week at a time to my
> original weight over say 6 weeks?

Sounds good. But make sure your back is OK first.

[email protected] wrote in news:1124376317.790411.245270
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> hi, all
>
> About a month back I went on holiday for a week, and came back to do my
> normal set of thursday deadlifts (130KG)
> Suddenly I felt a ligament go in my lower back on the left, and had to
> stop, a couple of days past and the pain disapeared
> the follwing week I made sure I warmed up a lot more, stretched alot
> more, and did my sets on a lower weight. No pain
> The week after I did a normal set at (120kg), also no pain. Today I did
> a morning session (It's usually evening) and put
> 120kg on again after my 60kg warmup set. after the 5 rep on the first
> set, I suddenly got the click in back again and had to stop,
> same pain as before, hopefully the pain will diminish over time.
> However to avoid this happening a third time, I want to continue
> excercising but pinpoint a way to avoid this, so my questions are:-
>
> 1. Should I instead of doing 1 set warmup, then 4 sets heavy, should I
> perhaps do a light medium and make the last set heavy
> to allow the muscles to be fully warmed up?
>
> 2. I have only been training a year and a half, and was told to use a
> weight belt with anything over 100KG, but does this
> weaken the lower back because it is removing pressure from it?
>
> 3. Would squats make a decent alternative to deadlifts if I can't get
> on with them anymore?
>
> 4. Should I go back to 60KG and work up slowly a week at a time to my
> original weight over say 6 weeks?
> (I did a similar thing when I had shoulder pain which seemed to work).
>
> Thanks for your time

Sounds similar to what I've done to myself twice with deadlifts. Went
heavy (for me, my max is ~ 127 Kg) tweaked my lower back, felt stiff for a
few days. Happened twice. This is what I did:

* Took 2 weeks off DL's and when I returned, dropped the max weight about
20%. Worked my way back up SLOWLY.

* Dropped DL's to once a week

* Started doing Good Morning's and weighted back extensions. Added weight
to both exercises SLOWLY. I'm now doing BE's with 65# and GM's with 165#
-- the GM's could be heavier but I have tight hams and I'm looking for all
the depth I can get on them.

I lift 3x week, so I do GM's one day, DL's the next, and BE's the last.

So far so good.

YMMV

IANAE

IANAD

IANAHAPL*

Hugh

* I Am Not A Heavy-Ass PowerLifter

--
Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
chocolate. ("Ladi")

Hugh Beyer <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> [email protected] wrote in news:1124376317.790411.245270
> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>
>> hi, all
>>
>> About a month back I went on holiday for a week, and came back to do my
>> normal set of thursday deadlifts (130KG)
>> Suddenly I felt a ligament go in my lower back on the left, and had to
>> stop, a couple of days past and the pain disapeared
>> the follwing week I made sure I warmed up a lot more, stretched alot
>> more, and did my sets on a lower weight. No pain
>> The week after I did a normal set at (120kg), also no pain. Today I did
>> a morning session (It's usually evening) and put
>> 120kg on again after my 60kg warmup set. after the 5 rep on the first
>> set, I suddenly got the click in back again and had to stop,
>> same pain as before, hopefully the pain will diminish over time.
>> However to avoid this happening a third time, I want to continue
>> excercising but pinpoint a way to avoid this, so my questions are:-
>>
>> 1. Should I instead of doing 1 set warmup, then 4 sets heavy, should I
>> perhaps do a light medium and make the last set heavy
>> to allow the muscles to be fully warmed up?
>>
>> 2. I have only been training a year and a half, and was told to use a
>> weight belt with anything over 100KG, but does this
>> weaken the lower back because it is removing pressure from it?
>>
>> 3. Would squats make a decent alternative to deadlifts if I can't get
>> on with them anymore?
>>
>> 4. Should I go back to 60KG and work up slowly a week at a time to my
>> original weight over say 6 weeks?
>> (I did a similar thing when I had shoulder pain which seemed to work).
>>
>> Thanks for your time

> Sounds similar to what I've done to myself twice with deadlifts. Went
> heavy (for me, my max is ~ 127 Kg) tweaked my lower back, felt stiff for
> a few days. Happened twice. This is what I did:
>
> * Took 2 weeks off DL's and when I returned, dropped the max weight
> about 20%. Worked my way back up SLOWLY.
>
> * Dropped DL's to once a week
>
> * Started doing Good Morning's and weighted back extensions. Added
> weight to both exercises SLOWLY. I'm now doing BE's with 65# and GM's
> with 165# -- the GM's could be heavier but I have tight hams and I'm
> looking for all the depth I can get on them.
>
> I lift 3x week, so I do GM's one day, DL's the next, and BE's the last.
>
> So far so good.

Fergot to mention... I also morphed my routine from one where I went
pretty quickly to the max weight to one where I build slowly up to it over
a bunch of sets. I've always liked high-volume routines anyway. E.g. I did
8 DL sets in my last workout after warmup, increasing the weight by 10 and
then 5 pounds each set. It looks a lot like a sheiko progression and it
means I get plenty of time to see how I'm feeling and stop early if I
don't seem to have it that day.

Hugh