DEADLY OXYCONTIN'S APPEAL AS STRONG AS EVER

don't feed the trolls.
--
a wise person once said "what good is a smart bomb if you have a dumb
president?" - aaron mcgruder

to email me, delete blackhole. from my return address

Thats real helpful....

"Randy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Conversely, those who have never experienced chronic, debilitating

pain have
> no idea what they're talking about when claiming they have "cures" for

it,
> or that something as marvelous as Oxycontin is "deadly" rather than

the
> safe, miraculous, life-changing medicine that it has been known to be

for
> many with chronic pain.
>
> 16,000 dead in a year from taking excessive anti-inflammatories when

*pain*
> was the diagnosis and ignorant doctors the purveyors of death.
>
> "Mike Dubbeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Dharma Singh Khalsa is an American in Arizona who is a Medical

Doctor
> > that specializes in Pain Management. I know of him from his book
> > Brain Longevity in which he pioneered alternate pharmacological
> > ideas and is quite famous for. He has a fairly new book out called
> > "The Pain Cure.'
> > http://www.twbookmark.com/authors/20/317/critical_praise.html
> > When you are in pain you can not think straight. If you have your

doubts
> > about Khalsa I suggest you simply do a search on his name on the

web.

> > good luck,
> > Mike Dubbeld
> >

> > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Get bent.
> > > Two of the pain management Drs I have gone to are from India both

> > sugested it
> > > and offered classes for an high price.
> > >
> > > Just another way to squeeze money out of the desperate
> > > Laura, Keeper of the Hounds
> > > Servant to 4 Cats, Shadow, Terra, Storm,

Shotzie.
> > > AKA
> > > Lady's and Boomer's Mom. Slave to the

Cats.

OOOHhhhh... so that's what they refer to as "cranio-sacral therapy"?
;~)

"Clueless" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Good luck with your pain doc Laura. We know how rare it is for a
> doctor not to suffer with head up butt sydrome.
>
> Clue
>
> On 26 Jun 2003 23:19:08 GMT, [email protected] (Laura) wrote:
> >
> >Going into pain management again on the 21st of July hopefully this pain

doc
> >don't have his head up his butt and listens to me and don't take the

learn to
> >live with it aproach.
> > Laura, Keeper of the Hounds
> > Servant to 4 Cats, Shadow, Terra, Storm, Shotzie.
> > AKA
> > Lady's and Boomer's Mom. Slave to the Cats.

(This is a copy and paste, but worth the read to share)

From The National Institute on Drug Abuse Addiction vs. Dependence

"This is what distinguishes the pain patient who is tolerant to and
physically dependent on morphine, from the addict who is also tolerant
to and physically dependent on heroin. Both are self-administering an
addictive drug several times a day. But while the addict takes his
drug to get high, "mellow out," and largely avoid life, The pain
patient takes his drug to get on with life.

This apparently subtle distinction between the contingencies
surrounding drug use lead to a remarkably different outcome for these
two different kinds of users. Heroin addicts are lost to themselves,
to their families, and to society. Not only can't they work, but they
are almost certainly engaged in criminal activity, and they are at
high risk of a variety of infectious diseases, including hepatitis and
AIDS.

Indeed, intravenous drug users have become the major vector for the
spread of AIDS into the heterosexual community in this country.
Current estimates are that more than 55% of addicts in New York City
are HIV positive."

"Pain patients, by contrast, couldn't be more different. Being on an
opioid allows them to interact with their families, to get out of
hospitals, and to go back to work. Indeed, their efforts to maintain
their health are in marked contradiction to the utter disregard
addicts show for their health. If we wish to equate addicts with pain
patients, the more appropriate comparison is with the under treated
pain patient."

"He is in the hospital or inactive at home, he is a major drain on his
family's emotional and financial resources, and he does not contribute
productively to society."

"Another difference between addicts and pain patients comes when it is
time to get off the drug on which they are physically dependent. For
addicts, this is a major hurdle. For the pain patient, it is typically
an uncomplicated process. ... Drugs have a completely different
meaning to pain patients, however...."

"Because of the meaning of drugs in an addict's life, drug addiction
is a chronic, relapsing condition. Because of the very different
meaning of drugs in a pain patient's life, drug addiction rarely, if
ever, occurs after opioid use has stopped.

This is a crucial point. The data most often cited to link addiction
to medically administered opioids were derived from studies with
addicts. In the first place, this group is highly unrepresentative of
the general population. In the second, it is made up of highly
unreliable people. Self-reporting about drug use by addicts is not the
method of choice in studying drug use. The more appropriate data to
address this issue have been derived from retrospective reviews of
large numbers of patients who received opioids to determine how many
became addicts. Of 24,000 patients studied, only 7 could be identified
who got into trouble with drugs as a result of medical
administration."

"The conclusions of this discussion are clear:

Dependence and addiction are not equivalent to each other;
Patients who become dependent on opioids during the course of medical
therapy rarely become addicted to those drugs; and
In managing pain with opioids, there is little need to fear addiction.
Tolerance to opioids is rarely a problem because it is possible to
continuously increase the dose. Dependence is only a concern when
prescribing drugs with antagonist properties and in managing
withdrawal."

"If addiction is not a reason to avoid using opioids, many of the
other reasons that have led to widespread under prescribing can be
addressed more directly. Most important among these are the legal
barriers we have erected, to limit the use of opioids. And the lack of
knowledge among health care professionals about the proper use of
these agents."

From The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) The National
Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), is part of the National Institutes of
Health (NIH), the principal biomedical and behavioral research agency
of the United States Government. NIH is a component of the U.S.
Department of Health and Human Services.

{Clap... Clap... Clap... Clap... Clap...}
Bravo. Outstanding!

"Sunshyne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> continuously increase the dose. Dependence is only a concern when
> prescribing drugs with antagonist properties and in managing
> withdrawal."
>
> "If addiction is not a reason to avoid using opioids, many of the
> other reasons that have led to widespread under prescribing can be
> addressed more directly. Most important among these are the legal
> barriers we have erected, to limit the use of opioids. And the lack of
> knowledge among health care professionals about the proper use of
> these agents."
>
> From The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) The National
> Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), is part of the National Institutes of
> Health (NIH), the principal biomedical and behavioral research agency
> of the United States Government. NIH is a component of the U.S.
> Department of Health and Human Services.

f mitch newton
"Ed Chait" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<7F%[email protected]>...
> "Sunshyne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > (This is a copy and paste, but worth the read to share)
> >

> > From The National Institute on Drug Abuse Addiction vs. Dependence
> >
> > "This is what distinguishes the pain patient who is tolerant to and
> > physically dependent on morphine, from the addict who is also tolerant
> > to and physically dependent on heroin. Both are self-administering an
> > addictive drug several times a day. But while the addict takes his
> > drug to get high, "mellow out," and largely avoid life, The pain
> > patient takes his drug to get on with life.
> >

> (snip)
>
> Thank you Sunshyne, this was an excellent explanation of the difference
> between someone who is an addict and someone who is not. The situation I
> was addressing and concerned about in regards to Oxycontin and other opiates
> was in regards to when an addict is placed in a situation where they have to
> take pain meds. I was not addressing the majority of people who can take
> pain meds as prescribed and not become addicted.
>
> Both groups may develop physical tolerance, but only the addict will develop
> a mental addiction, which is really a much more powerful addiction than the
> purely physical.
>
> This is a situation that requires extreme vigilance and one in which most
> doctors are poorly skilled to handle.
>
> Your posting supports my belief that the distinction between an addict and a
> non-addict is primarily one of personality and intent.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Ed Chait, RDCS

> Thank you Sunshyne, this was an excellent explanation of the difference
> between someone who is an addict and someone who is not. The situation I
> was addressing and concerned about in regards to Oxycontin and other opiates
> was in regards to when an addict is placed in a situation where they have to
> take pain meds. I was not addressing the majority of people who can take
> pain meds as prescribed and not become addicted.
>
> Both groups may develop physical tolerance, but only the addict will develop
> a mental addiction, which is really a much more powerful addiction than the
> purely physical.
>
> This is a situation that requires extreme vigilance and one in which most
> doctors are poorly skilled to handle.
>
> Your posting supports my belief that the distinction between an addict and a
> non-addict is primarily one of personality and intent.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Ed Chait, RDCS

I know the difference between addiction, and non addiction. When pain
meds are needed for pain, vs. not needed for pain, just wanted for the
high from it.

I have been addicted in the past, on drugs. Most of all, marijuana. I
have the personality triats to become addicted easily. I am a
co-dependent person. In the past I used drugs to escape reality.

One of the things that Fibromyalgia has brought into my life, is
facing up to reality.

What burns me is when doctors withhold medication that will help
people with chronic pain conditions be able to live a more decent
life, a little less pain free.

I been dealing with that for the last couple years now. Started with
tylenol 3's. Worked up to tylenol 4's. Then to Ultram. Now..
Vicodins. I am now asking my doc for something for breakthrough pain.
He isn't going to prescribe it though. I asked for Percocets. I
would like to try Oxycontin.

I have been referred out now to a Pain Management Doctor. I hope they
help me. I don't want the pain meds to get high. I need the pain
meds to be able to function, at least a little bit more than I am now.

"Sunshyne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Thank you Sunshyne, this was an excellent explanation of the difference
> > between someone who is an addict and someone who is not. The situation

> > was addressing and concerned about in regards to Oxycontin and other

opiates
> > was in regards to when an addict is placed in a situation where they

have to
> > take pain meds. I was not addressing the majority of people who can

take
> > pain meds as prescribed and not become addicted.
> >
> > Both groups may develop physical tolerance, but only the addict will

develop
> > a mental addiction, which is really a much more powerful addiction than

the
> > purely physical.
> >
> > This is a situation that requires extreme vigilance and one in which

most
> > doctors are poorly skilled to handle.
> >
> > Your posting supports my belief that the distinction between an addict

and a
> > non-addict is primarily one of personality and intent.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Ed Chait, RDCS

> I know the difference between addiction, and non addiction. When pain
> meds are needed for pain, vs. not needed for pain, just wanted for the
> high from it.

These situations are not mutually exclusive. People with addictive
personalites are just as subject as non-addicts to painful conditions and
circumstances. When a recovering addict gets a kidney stone, they don't
have much choice about whether to take pain meds or not, even if it
endangers their recovery. It is at these times, when vigilance, awareness,
and doctors that understand addiction are essential.

> I have been addicted in the past, on drugs. Most of all, marijuana. I
> have the personality triats to become addicted easily. I am a
> co-dependent person. In the past I used drugs to escape reality.

Then you need to be extremely careful and honest with yourself. You may not
like hearing this, but people who have addictive personalities have minds
that can manufacture and/or exxagerate pain in order to justify taking
drugs.

> One of the things that Fibromyalgia has brought into my life, is
> facing up to reality.

The reality is that if you have been addicted to substances in the past, you
are in a very dangerous place.

> What burns me is when doctors withhold medication that will help
> people with chronic pain conditions be able to live a more decent
> life, a little less pain free.
>
> I been dealing with that for the last couple years now. Started with
> tylenol 3's. Worked up to tylenol 4's. Then to Ultram. Now..
> Vicodins. I am now asking my doc for something for breakthrough pain.
> He isn't going to prescribe it though. I asked for Percocets. I
> would like to try Oxycontin.

> I have been referred out now to a Pain Management Doctor. I hope they
> help me. I don't want the pain meds to get high. I need the pain
> meds to be able to function, at least a little bit more than I am now.

Again, be really careful. Addicts are experts at self-deception.

Ed Chait, RDCS

> > I know the difference between addiction, and non addiction. When pain
> > meds are needed for pain, vs. not needed for pain, just wanted for the
> > high from it.
> >

> > I have been addicted in the past, on drugs. Most of all, marijuana. I
> > have the personality triats to become addicted easily. I am a
> > co-dependent person. In the past I used drugs to escape reality.
> >

> > One of the things that Fibromyalgia has brought into my life, is
> > facing up to reality.
> >
> > > What burns me is when doctors withhold medication that will help

> > people with chronic pain conditions be able to live a more decent
> > life, a little less pain free.
> >
> > I been dealing with that for the last couple years now. Started with
> > tylenol 3's. Worked up to tylenol 4's. Then to Ultram. Now..
> > Vicodins. I am now asking my doc for something for breakthrough pain.
> > He isn't going to prescribe it though. I asked for Percocets. I
> > would like to try Oxycontin.

I refer you to the following website:

http://www.thinklikeadoctor.com/fibromyalgia.shtml#wastebasket

Ed Chait, RDCS

I want to mention two things I didn't see mentioned that are important
considerations re: 'Chronic Pain Treatment'.

First, only ONE PERCENT of all patients being treated for chronic pain
show any indications of addiction.
Second, there is a very distinct difference between Addiction and
Dependence.

johnie

Sunshyne wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time to respond, it shows me that you care. I
> will be careful.
>
> I understand what a addictive personality is more now. I did a
> search on it last night, found out more. I will bring it to my
> therapists attention and see what he says, some input. Honestly, no
> self-deception here, I do not show the signs of a addictive
> personality.
>
> Do you really think doctors are going to take the time to become more
> understanding of a addictive personalty? Most docs I have come across
> don't even take the time to learn more about Fibromyalgia. Hopefully
> one day they will. Just keep pushing awareness is what I do.

don't feed the trolls.