Deal? - 2002 Motobecane/Dura-Ace $1100

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by John Hurrell, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. John Hurrell

    John Hurrell Guest

    I have an opportunity to purchase a Motobecane le Champion Team with Dura- Ace for $1100. I know
    that the real Motobecane went bankrupt years ago and this isn't the same company I remember.

    Still, would this still be worth the money just for the Dura-Ace? The frame has have a full
    lifetime warranty.

    Dura-Ace equipped bikes locally (Rochester, NY) cost $1800+.

    Here are more specs: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_Le_Champion_Team. htm

    --
    John Hurrell

    Remove obvious to reply via email.

    Tags:

  2. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I have an opportunity to purchase a Motobecane le Champion Team with Dura- Ace for $1100. I know
    >that the real Motobecane went bankrupt years ago and this isn't the same company I remember.

    >Still, would this still be worth the money just for the Dura-Ace? The frame has have a full
    >lifetime warranty.

    >Here are more specs:
    >http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_Le_Champion_Team. htm

    This bike is listed at $1600 so I imagine you are looking at another bike locally.

    The things I noticed about this bike are a 24 spoke radial front wheel, 28 rear 2 cross, and an
    internal head set.

    I wouldn't be buying one.

    Jon Isaacs

  3. In article <[email protected]>, John Hurrell
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have an opportunity to purchase a Motobecane le Champion Team with Dura- Ace for $1100. I know
    >that the real Motobecane went bankrupt years ago and this isn't the same company I remember.
    >
    >Still, would this still be worth the money just for the Dura-Ace? The frame has have a full
    >lifetime warranty.
    >
    >Dura-Ace equipped bikes locally (Rochester, NY) cost $1800+.
    >
    >Here are more specs:
    >http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_Le_Champion_Team. htm

    If you can get that bike new for $1100 then it's a good deal even though the frame is probably a
    piece of crap. $1100 ia a little too cheap for a DA bike, I would be careful how I pay for it and
    scrutinize the seller. If the deal is real I'm sure you can find an eBayer to pay too much for
    the frameset.

    --Paul

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >I have an opportunity to purchase a Motobecane le Champion Team with Dura- Ace for $1100. I know
    >that the real Motobecane went bankrupt years ago and this isn't the same company I remember.
    >
    >Still, would this still be worth the money just for the Dura-Ace? The frame has have a full
    >lifetime warranty.
    >
    >Dura-Ace equipped bikes locally (Rochester, NY) cost $1800+.
    >
    >Here are more specs:
    >http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_Le_Champion_Team. htm

    Sounds like a good deal. A DA build kit would probably cost as much as you are paying for a full
    bike. You could stip the bike for parts and then sell the frame and come out ahead.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  5. John Hurrell

    John Hurrell Guest

    John Hurrell <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I have an opportunity to purchase a Motobecane le Champion Team with Dura- Ace for $1100. I know
    > that the real Motobecane went bankrupt years ago and this isn't the same company I remember.
    >
    > Still, would this still be worth the money just for the Dura-Ace? The frame has have a full
    > lifetime warranty.
    >
    > Dura-Ace equipped bikes locally (Rochester, NY) cost $1800+.
    >
    > Here are more specs: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_Le_Champion_T
    > eam. htm

    I really appreciate the feedback. I was leaning toward getting the bike just for the groupo and
    getting a new frame somewhere.

    Thanks a lot everyone!

    --
    John Hurrell

    Remove obvious to reply via email.

  6. Tom D

    Tom D Guest

    John Hurrell <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I really appreciate the feedback. I was leaning toward getting the bike just for the groupo and
    > getting a new frame somewhere.

    Seems like an OK deal, provided the online vendor is reputable. Note that the groupo has a Cane
    Creek (iirc) internal headset, so you might have to buy a new headset, depending on the other frame.
    Also, as another poster has pointed out, the D-A hubs have low-spoke-count drilling. I have no idea
    of the quality of the rims or wheel build.

  7. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    I know Bicycling did a review of that bike some time in the recent past. They too raved about how
    cheap it was for a bike with full Dura Ace. they seemed to think the frame was pretty darn good so
    selling it right away might not be necessary.

    "John Hurrell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > John Hurrell <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > I have an opportunity to purchase a Motobecane le Champion Team with Dura- Ace for $1100. I know
    > > that the real Motobecane went bankrupt years ago and this isn't the same company I remember.
    > >
    > > Still, would this still be worth the money just for the Dura-Ace? The frame has have a full
    > > lifetime warranty.
    > >
    > > Dura-Ace equipped bikes locally (Rochester, NY) cost $1800+.
    > >
    > > Here are more specs: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_Le_Champion_T
    > > eam. htm
    >
    > I really appreciate the feedback. I was leaning toward getting the bike just for the groupo and
    > getting a new frame somewhere.
    >
    > Thanks a lot everyone!
    >
    > --
    > John Hurrell
    >
    > Remove obvious to reply via email.

  8. mropincar

    mropincar New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2003
    I was considering buying from Bikesdirect.com, until I checked the BBB online. Bikesdirect.com and Cycle Spectrum, their sister (retail) company, both have unsatisfactory ratings.
    See the links below:

    http://worf.usshurdman.com/~hous/co.../mis67/report.php&bureau=hous&compid=31001201

    http://worf.usshurdman.com/~hous/co.../mis67/report.php&bureau=hous&compid=13002679

    I also tried to contact them by phone, to no avail. If you call the people at Cycle Spectrum, they act like it is a seperate company ("we just handle some of the shipping for them"), but the funny thing is, the address for Bikesdirect match that of Cycle Spectrum (see http://www.cyclespectrum.com/ for Cycle Spectrum's addresses).

    Based on these findings, I would say buyer beware.

  9. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "mropincar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was considering buying from Bikesdirect.com, until I checked the BBB online. Bikesdirect.com
    > and Cycle Spectrum, their sister (retail) company, both have unsatisfactory ratings. See the
    > links below:

    I have direct experience with Cycle Spectrum retail stores (three stores total in two different
    cities). The manager at one of the stores is a real ass. He's your best friend until he gets you to
    buy a bike. After the original sale, there is a total lack of service.

    As for the other two stores, the employees were nice enough, but the store only carries low-end
    parts and accessories (and bikes, for that matter). I have only purchased a wire basket and a seat
    for a couple of rescued bikes and those parts are holding up as far as I know (the bikes were given
    away). Service after the sale at these stores is unknown to me. I looked up all of the stores in
    Texas with the BBB, and all but one have unsatisfactory ratings. The one that doesn't is in a
    college town across the street from campus. They have a lot of business from young students and
    foreigns students. My guess is that customers to their store just don't know how to complain to the
    BBB. Every cyclist I have met from that town has mentioned how bad that shop is.

    You take a big risk dealing with them.

    -Buck