Deal alert: ti & ultegra $1560

WHAT? Campy Bob, have you taken your temperature lately? I think you're running a fever. You're recommending a Titanium bike?

LOL Froze. I think he posted the link to show us how cheaply a Ti frame bike can be purchased.

I note the ad hype does talk about Ti being a smart purchase because "the frame can last a lifetime".....continuing the BS myth about Ti being a fatigue-proof "wonder materiel". And of course the nonsense about the "more forgiving ride" is thrown in for good measure.

But the bike is equipped with a CF fork, " to reduce any vibration through the steering and keep the weight down." Any careful reader has to wonder how much lighter and smoother the bike would be if it were all CF.

Note, I'm a fan of Ti, but not a fan of the way it's been advertised. I like my Lynskey R345 a lot. And I actually do expect it to "last a lifetime" for me. This is because I project riding maybe another 25K miles in my life, over the next 12-15 years I hope to be riding. Meanwhile, the fit and stability of the frame, as well as the stiffness and response, make it exactly the kind of bike I like to ride.

We all like different stuff. One of my buddies thinks Ti is overrated, and prefers custom steel (including the fork). His vintage red Cinelli is indeed a thing of beauty, only brought out to ride on the most perfect of spring days. He spent an obscene amount to have it restored to new chrome and paint and decals. I'd say it was worth every penney spent.

I'm a fan of TI myself, plus a fan of steel...note I did not say I am a man of steel! Anywho, I've ridden quite a few different brands of CF and AL bikes, and once owned a Scandium bike which was the only frame that ever failed on me. Of all those bikes I rode the most comfortable was the various TI bikes I rode including my Lynskey Peloton. Now I'm not saying that the difference is huge, but CF while some seem to mute small vibrations are actually quite harsh on rough roads whereas TI seems to absorb the shocks of a rough road better than CF and far better than AL or SC. Steel is the odd one out, it rides similar to TI but flexes more side to side, of course this is small diameter tubing, Rodriguez's Outlaw increased the diameter of the top and down tubes, so not sure how that one feels since I've never rode one but wish I could, that bike fascinates me but I can't afford it.

I use to own a custom steel bike, including a steel fork, a Mercian Vincitore Special that I had custom built for me when I visited Mercian while I was in England. To say it's the best riding bike I've ever had isn't true, I would say it rode similar to other steel bikes of similar geometry I had, no worse no better, which was one of the reasons I sold it yet I kept production made steel bikes!

As far as TI bikes coming with CF forks, so does some new steel bikes, and all AL bikes. For a more interesting read on CF forks read this: http://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2013/10/carbon-forks-no-way.html

But CF today is just bandwagon mentality brought on by marketing forces that got pros to ride on it which it turns gets all of the others to ride it. This is sort of the same thing that took place in the 50's and 60's with the bandwagon mentality wrought on by the government and the media that it was better to be dead than red and thus we had Korea and Vietnam for which in reality there was no reason for us to have gone to either, but due to mass hysteria generated by the government and the media there were no shortages of young men eager to fight against the big evil communistic devil...the same thing happened to the big evil Indians here in America.

But at least CF is light...well at least the expensive ones are, I know several owners of CF bike that cost them an average of $3,000 that weigh more than my Lynskey or even my former Scandium bike. So the weight issue really isn't that critical, sure the expensive pro bikes do weigh less but even those they can't go below the UCI limit, the weird thing is that the steel Rodriguez Outlaw bike weighs less than pro CF bikes! Yup, a steel Outlaw with a CF Enve 1.0 fork and Sram Red Lite components comes in at 13 1/2 pounds with no complaints on the internet about people not liking the bike or the frame breaking.

Bikes lasting? It's too early to tell if someone will be able to ride a CF bike for well over 500,000 miles like Freddie Hoffman or Danny Chew as well as some others have done on steel. How many CF bikes will be around a 100 years from now? AL we know fatigues and won't last anywhere near that many miles. We're still not really sure about TI either but the scientific thought is that they should outlast even steel.

WHAT? Campy Bob, have you taken your temperature lately? I think you're running a fever. You're recommending a Titanium bike?

Price. It's a good deal for asking price if it fits and if it's what a buyer is after. That's a good build spec for the money.