Dealing With Pollution

Vickeree

Mar 11, 2015
For people cycling as a form of commute, how do you deal with the pollution?
I tried wearing masks but I find it hard as it restricts my breathing and even with the mask on, I still feel I'm inhaling some of the smoke on the road.

I'd like to know your suggestions? :huh:

I don't think there is much you can do about it. Try to avoid peak hours if you can. Maybe go early and stop for coffee near where you work to avoid the most concentrated times. Fortunately I don't have to deal with that too much but i sure don't appreciate it when a smokey truck changes gear eight next to me.

I'd rather go to another route where there are less cars or avoiding main roads. It has less pollution and at the same time it is safer since there are less cars. I also agree to travel not on peak hours because it will be expected to a heavy traffic and expected to experience more pollution.

I'm trying to find some gas mask air filter of some sort but I think it would be too weird to wear on my way to a commute. I saw one of these fancy mask that Bane wears from Batman movie. I thought it was an air filter or something. Apparently it's an air restriction device which is suppose to make your breathing muscles more powerful and thereby improve your cardio.

I won't deal it with it, I moved from Bakersfield California 13 years ago because it was getting worse, now it's really bad there.

I have to deal with dusty gravel roads on a daily basis to get to work. I can't really be bothered to wear a face mask, as it makes me feel as if I can't breathe properly. I simply wrap a scarf around my face, put on a hat and my sunglasses. I also wear gloves to protect my skin from the harsh sun.
Here in Colombia, you have to be on the watch-out for absolutely everything when you are on the road... plants or grains falling from trucks, vehicles that blow black plumes of smoke, cement dust from building sites, animal feces, (and for that matter, dead animals) on the road, and so much more.
You have to be on high alert every time you go outside.

I couldn't imagine dealing with that much pollution to the point where it makes it unsafe to cycle to work or wherever. A face mask is one of your only cost-effective options, although that obviously can only do so much for you. Technically, you could probably use a gas mask with a filter, but that might seem a little weird and also cost a decent chunk of change.

I would find alternate roads with less traffic. It's not really an issue out where I live, but when I go into town it is. I have to leave extra early to go around my he busy roads

Find a road with less traffic. Pollution definitely sucks because it takes the whole 'healthy' aspect out of biking. Using a mask would be pretty impractical as it restricts your airflow in general so you might not get enough oxygen that way. Where I live, it's not that much of a problem, so I wouldn't be completely sure how to solve your issue.

vespid49 said:
Find a road with less traffic. Pollution definitely sucks because it takes the whole 'healthy' aspect out of biking.
Actually they say that traffic pollution is not as bad... What they say that -is- bad though is metro-air.

If you spend about 20 minutes in the metro and you try to blow your nose, black stuff come out... :unsure:

I see a lot of people driving with scarves around their faces which I think is all kinds of dangerous and uncomfortable, are there any other routes that you can take?If not then I know it sounds stupid but try two masks, I used to make furniture for a hobby and sanding the wood left so much dust in my lungs my mother in law suggested wearing two masks and it worked a treat!

That is something that you are going to have to figure out. Do you wearing a mask and hinder your breathing, or do you take it off and get a full intake of gas and dirt? I know of people that just use a simple handkerchief out and about. I wouldn't wear that. There might be products out there that won't look as bad and might be breathable.

If you live in the city it's going to be hard to escape the pollution. If you are in the country side then that's not a concern. the best I can tell you is to where a breathable mask or fashion one with a rag or old tshirt.

Will something like this suffice? You get extra brownie points cause it looks bad ass too.

WOLFBIKE-Windproof-Ski-Snowboard-Face-Mask-Outdoor-Sports-Cycling-Bicycle-Motorcycle-Riding-Carbon-Protective-Filter-Mask.jpg

Cyclist don't have the luxury of air conditioning. Like just said earlier wearing a mask is your best bet. It might hinder your breathing but if pollution is getting to you, this might be your only option. Unless someone invents a head unit with built in air conditioning.