Dealing with the Pain...

jsirabella

Jan 1, 2005
Let me ask if anyone else has experienced this from any type of training. I have never gone without working out in some fashion (i.e. weights or bike) for more than 1-2 days in a row for more than 5 years now. Finally my body has just not been able to respond and I thought I should take a week off as I have just seen all my numbers across the board starting to go down.

Unfortunately I am now on day 4 of not working out and I feel worse now than I have ever felt in my life. My legs, shoulder blades are just not right. I mean suddenly out of nowhere I will get a shooting pain for no apparent reason at all. Also I can not sleep as well and my eating pattern is completely off. This is also having the side effect of frustrating me and getting me a bit down.

Have any of you ever experienced this type of thing when stopping for more than a couple days? Have you actually felt much worse?

-js

jsirabella said:
Let me ask if anyone else has experienced this from any type of training. I have never gone without working out in some fashion (i.e. weights or bike) for more than 1-2 days in a row for more than 5 years now. Finally my body has just not been able to respond and I thought I should take a week off as I have just seen all my numbers across the board starting to go down.

Unfortunately I am now on day 4 of not working out and I feel worse now than I have ever felt in my life. My legs, shoulder blades are just not right. I mean suddenly out of nowhere I will get a shooting pain for no apparent reason at all. Also I can not sleep as well and my eating pattern is completely off. This is also having the side effect of frustrating me and getting me a bit down.

Have any of you ever experienced this type of thing when stopping for more than a couple days? Have you actually felt much worse?
-js

JS, I can't tell you anything you don't already know. Our bodies are always cycling up and down. People who don't work out don't notice a lot of this, because they're not digging into whatever reserves they have. I've had occasions where I've started to feel a bit shaky during workouts, and then come down with a cold or flu a few weeks later. I guess it was an early indicator. I have a running friend (who has not missed a single day of running in 34 years) who advises that, when you're feeling especially tired and broken down, you go out and and do an especially hard workout. It's contrary to common sense, of course, but I've tried it a few times and felt that it helped. Sometimes.

I did some hard training in January for 4 weeks that caused some random shooting pains in my quads and made me feel like I was on a chain gang but kept going until I just couldn't get my minimum 50 minutes. I felt better after a few days off and FTP went up significantly:cool: Take some time off let your legs get fresh.

I have a running friend (who has not missed a single day of running in 34 years) who advises that, when you're feeling especially tired and broken down, you go out and and do an especially hard workout. It's contrary to common sense, of course, but I've tried it a few times and felt that it helped. Sometimes.
l do the same thing l go out and do what l call a fun ride totally unstructured, head to my favourite training route that has short sharp climb after climbs and just let loose, usually need a day or 2 to recover from it but l forget all about that flat spot or rutt that l felt l was in before hand, then back to business ;)

Pen you are pretty much correct that it is common sense and basically you should just know your body kind of thing. But after giving it a lot of thought and going to the doc today I have come to my own conclusion. It is basically a really bad muscle strain that came from the fall from getting in the van. My pain or soreness has nothing to do with after a tough workout as I probably did not describe it well. It is a progressive issue of pain combined with just weaker and weaker performance in cycling and any lifts which are totally lower half dependent.

Basically the doc said take two aleeve in the morning and two before I go to bed or I can prescribe some meds. But she said I need to see a PT and they will probably give me a shot. Whatever that means but basically it is a muscle strain. My thought was like NO **** REALLY LOL...but atleast the doc said the meds will not solve your problem and the PT may.

I have been to PT and find it a waste of time...bend down, raise leg and all this baby **** is nothing and could do it myself. I will see if they give me a shot or something that can really heal this sooner.

Till than...50 watts for 90 minutes...frig yeah!!

-js

Pendejo said:
JS, I can't tell you anything you don't already know. Our bodies are always cycling up and down. People who don't work out don't notice a lot of this, because they're not digging into whatever reserves they have. I've had occasions where I've started to feel a bit shaky during workouts, and then come down with a cold or flu a few weeks later. I guess it was an early indicator. I have a running friend (who has not missed a single day of running in 34 years) who advises that, when you're feeling especially tired and broken down, you go out and and do an especially hard workout. It's contrary to common sense, of course, but I've tried it a few times and felt that it helped. Sometimes.