Death blow for Segway

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dave Salovesh, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. George

    George Guest

  3. W K

    W K Guest

    news:[email protected]...

    <URL:http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/030612/170/4dnhg.html&e=16&nc id=708>

    > If he can't keep one upright, what hope do other average Americans have?

    LOL! (genuine and repeated)

    You mean ... the rest of you are worse than him?

    Ah, maybe, if theres enough of you that cannot handle hot coffee or nice food without having to sue
    someone when you get it wrong.

    I thought a better title would be "New foolproof Segway fails initial testing".

  4. In <[email protected]>, "W K" <[email protected]> opined:

    > You mean ... the rest of you are worse than him?

    In other news, despite decades of educational reform efforts, recent testing has revealed that more
    than half of America's children have tested at or below the 50th percentile.

    > I thought a better title would be "New foolproof Segway fails initial testing".

    That's a good one too. Feel free to use it when you share the link (and do share - the world could
    use a laugh at Segway's expense since the joke will be entirely on us if this thing becomes
    common...)

  5. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > In other news, despite decades of educational reform efforts, recent testing has revealed that
    > more than half of America's children have tested at or below the 50th percentile.

    =v= That's impossible. 99% of American children are above average. (Though only 37% are aware that
    78.8% of all statistics are just made up.) <_Jym_

  6. Dave Salovesh <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > (Line may be wrapped)
    >
    > <URL:http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/030612/170/4dnhg.html&e=16&ncid=708>
    >
    > If he can't keep one upright, what hope do other average Americans have?

    Gosh, you people are naive.

    This particular SEGWAY has OBVIOUSLY been sabotaged by (pick one or
    more) Iraqi / El Queda / North Korean / Hammas / Democratic agents.

    Looks like GWB Junior was RIGHT about weapons of "mah ass" destruction ...

  7. Schikerbiker

    Schikerbiker Guest

    Well I don't understand the hatred for Segway's but anyhow, it appears that it isn't going to be
    anything viable to worry about in public, it just isn't being embraced. It probably has a legit use
    in industry, like getting around a warehouse faster, but even that, I bet their liability insurance
    would go up if a company decided to give their employees a Segway.

    I haven't heard of a single major company that has been using Segway's.

  8. Alex Colvin

    Alex Colvin Guest

    >> In other news, despite decades of educational reform efforts, recent testing has revealed that
    >> more than half of America's children have tested at or below the 50th percentile.

    >=v= That's impossible. 99% of American children are above average. (Though only 37% are aware that
    >78.8% of all statistics are just made up.)

    Right. And the average number of ears per capita is slightly less than two (thanks to Mike Tyson),
    giving 99% of the population more ears than average.

    --
    mac the naïf

  9. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "schikerbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well I don't understand the hatred for Segway's but anyhow, it appears that it isn't going to be
    > anything viable to worry about in public, it just isn't being embraced. It probably has a legit
    > use in industry, like getting around a warehouse faster, but even that, I bet their liability
    > insurance would go up if a company decided to give their employees a
    Segway.

    > I haven't heard of a single major company that has been using Segway's.

    I don't think it's necessarily hatred of the product as much as the hatred of the hype. Some very
    wealthy individuals bet a lot on this product and the incredible amount of hype and lobbying that's
    gone on might be irksome to people. Not only that, maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I don't think
    there are many customers that will buy this thing for $5k. It just doesn't make sense. In my
    purchase priority list, a Segway would rank just above a mechanical ass-wiper and just below a 155mm
    howitzer. Most people's priorities may be different, but on the whole, I think we're in the same
    ball park.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  10. "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In my purchase priority list, a Segway would rank just above a mechanical ass-wiper and just below
    > a 155mm howitzer. Most people's priorities may be different, but on the whole, I think we're in
    > the same ball park.

    the howitzer is considerably higher than the segway on my purchase priority list. I'd settle for an
    old French 75mm anti-tank gun, though. I doubt even a Hummer could withstand a direct hit from a
    HEAT round fired out of one of those.

    Sure, the fires would be a bit of a hassle, but think: the burning hulks are automatic
    traffic-calming barriers. And their absence would immeasurably improve suburban cycling.....

    -Luigi

  11. Bush may have leaned too far to the right-----it has always resulted in a hard fall.

    Steve McDonald

  12. Sojourner

    Sojourner Guest

    Steve McDonald wrote:
    > Bush may have leaned too far to the right-----it has always resulted in a hard fall.
    >
    > Steve McDonald

    OK - of all the "good ones" - that has got to be the best so far ... >:D

  13. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "Dave Salovesh" wrote:

    > If he can't keep one upright, what hope do other average Americans have?

    Is that HIS bicycle in the background? ;->

    Art

  14. Schikerbiker

    Schikerbiker Guest

    S. Anderson wrote:

    > I don't think it's necessarily hatred of the product as much as the hatred of the hype. Some very
    > wealthy individuals bet a lot on this product and the incredible amount of hype and lobbying
    > that's gone on might be irksome to people. Not only that, maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I don't
    > think there are many customers that will buy this thing for $5k.

    Agreed. It just isn't getting the buyers, not even in places they were hoping it would do well like
    in San Francisco or Miami. Yea, them trying to change laws to allow them on the sidewalks was a side
    show to say the least. If anything, you can buy 4 mopeds for that price if you want cheap
    transportation (of course a bike is even cheaper and better!) No vehcile moving even at 7mph belongs
    on the sidewalk.

    Regards

  15. On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:07:37 -0400, [email protected] wrote:

    > (Line may be wrapped)
    >
    ><URL:http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/030612/170/4dnhg.html&e=16&ncid=708>
    >
    > If he can't keep one upright, what hope do other average Americans have?

    dont blame me

    saddam snuck up on me and pushed my scooter over and i fell off

    he is a bad man who hates our freedom i will get him someday

    --
    From the Office of the Resident of the United States The Honorable George W. Bush The White House,
    Washington, D.C. http://www.whitehouse.org/ http://templeofgwbush.blogspot.com

  16. FâHç

    FâHç Guest

    "Resident George W. Bush" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:07:37 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > (Line may be wrapped)
    > >

    ><URL:http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/030612/170/4dnhg.html&e=16&n
    cid=708>

    > > If he can't keep one upright, what hope do other average Americans have?
    > >

    > dont blame me
    >
    > saddam snuck up on me and pushed my scooter over and i fell off
    >
    > he is a bad man who hates our freedom i will get him someday

    I heard from neo-con central command that it was Clinton's penis that knocked Bush off his Segway.

  17. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Now any clown can drive one. :_)

    Now you see why he did not land that jet on the carrier.

    "Resident George W. Bush" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:07:37 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > (Line may be wrapped)
    > >

    ><URL:http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/030612/170/4dnhg.html&e=16&n
    cid=708>

    > > If he can't keep one upright, what hope do other average Americans have?
    > >

    > dont blame me
    >
    > saddam snuck up on me and pushed my scooter over and i fell off
    >
    > he is a bad man who hates our freedom i will get him someday
    >
    > --
    > From the Office of the Resident of the United States The Honorable George W. Bush The White House,
    > Washington, D.C. http://www.whitehouse.org/ http://templeofgwbush.blogspot.com

  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:48:25 -0700, " fâhç" <%e%f%i%[email protected]%f%d.tw> wrote:

    >neo-con

    I like that phrase - as if they were somehow pushing something other than the same old con...

    Guy
    ===

  19. On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:16:12 +0000, Dave Salovesh wrote:

    > In other news, despite decades of educational reform efforts, recent testing has revealed that
    > more than half of America's children have tested at or below the 50th percentile.

    I always preferred the retort to the typical stories about how poorly American kids do in comparison
    with other nations on tests. "So what if we're behind everyone else in science and math. We came in
    third in English."

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
    pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |